Ryan Shazier update - spinal surgery

YoloinOhio

I can't watch when guys have these injuries

I've been there (hockey injury when I was 15), and it's absolutely terrifying.  I made a full recovery, but man it was a close call.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it PTSD, but whenever I see a guy go down like that, it physically affects me.

I am very hopeful that he doesn't have long-term issues.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Don't lead with the head, kids.

Very, very true.  That's what I thought seeing it live.  If you watch the youtube video and slow it down (literally hit pause, play, pause, play) you can see he is going for a textbook shoulder tackle.  When the WR moves to the right of the screen after the pass via his forward momentum, he also attempts to protect himself from the hit, and something happens with Schzier's  head and the WR's back in terms of contact.  .  

44 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I can't watch when guys have these injuries

I've been there (hockey injury when I was 15), and it's absolutely terrifying.  I made a full recovery, but man it was a close call.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it PTSD, but whenever I see a guy go down like that, it physically affects me.

I am very hopeful that he doesn't have long-term issues.

I had a teammate go through it in football, we thought he was paralyzed but recovered, just seeing this makes me put everything in perspective,it's tough to watch.

It's even why I'm more livid about the Gronk hit. That could be Tre White we are waiting for updates on, a guy double his size goes full force in his head/neck region , disgusting, idk how I wouldn't return the favor in 3 weeks if I'm Tre White's teammate

20 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Scary results, and I immediately wished him well, but even scarier that it's something that can happen anytime. If he has movement in lower extremities, then he should recover, at least walk again, and that's good news

Yea, his football days are done, unfortunately. Always liked him at Ohio St , and he had such a bright future

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

For anyone worried about Shazier after his scary back injury last night ... a positive update 

You absolutely hate to see injuries like this happen to anyone. It is precisely why they teach you to tackle with your head up now. Kids in my son's' leagues will get kicked out of games for leading with the crown of their helmets. 

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Hope he makes a full recovery.

NOTE TO KIDS:  NEVER LEAD WITH YOUR HEAD

It was bad tackling form, but I don't know that's what caused his paralysis.  Looked more like they way his back bent backwards when he was falling.

Side note: this reminds me how truly glad I am Aaron Williams walked away.