Anyone concerned about the wr talent?

25 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Well yes and no. Woods left before Beane. I'd like to think if we got a Sammy offer when the offseason started, we would've kept Woods.

McDermott was here though and i thought m that we all agree he has a lot of power. With that being said I don’t want to be a hypocrite because I said that I would let Woods and Goodwin walk for those prices. I was wrong in hindsight.

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I wouldn’t hate the Paul Richardson option. If we started Benjamin, Richardson and Zay in the slot with Thompson and Reilly behind them we would be a little more balanced.

I would agree with Richardson as well as Allen Robinson. He should be fullly recovered from his ACL by training camp. I think he can be signed with a nice incnetive contract without having to over spend. We all saw good things with Reilly in the preseason, lets hope that he has the same success in the regular season. If Peterman plays, I am sure he has good chemistry with Reilly from the scout team. 

Just now, joesixpack said:

I take it you don't have similar charts from your original post.

Or a chart from 2016.

But carry on.

If I did I would have posted them. But's it's easy enough to see from what I did post (2017 vs. 2015) that you are incorrect. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

My ideal for our first 6 picks is to use no more than two of those on getting a QB and then go 2 OL and 2 DL.  

I think LB is just as important a need as OL and DL myself, was wondering your thoughts on the LB need for the Bills and potential options in the off season?

I can understand building from the lines back, makes sense, as does your ideal situation. I think a LB that can start and cover should be in that mix as well, if not two some how.  

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Aren’t you assuming that they get a QB? I am.

So your strategy, and many others on here, is avoid all evaluations of the receiver talent now. Pretend that it doesn’t count because of the QB. Give a rookie QB these questionable weapons to struggle with and then upgrade them after? That makes no sense.

Additionally, they have countless practices, position specific coaches and like 22 different angles of game footage. You don’t think that they are qualified to evaluate those guys?!? Come on people you can’t be that simple. 

If you say “the group is fine” that’s okay. I don’t believe that it is but everyone has an opinion. If you say “they aren’t capable of evaluating them” that’s just not true.

These guys are "good enough" and you can "get to the playoffs" with these guys. Just need a better than average defense and if they are surrounded by better players, IMO you can win with these guys. 

Seems as though I have heard something like that before, hmmmmm...... 

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

So unless my math is incorrect, 146/286 passes went to wr, for a total of 51% last season. Hm again. Still no bueno.

Not a surprise given who they were trotting out there at WR with all of the injuries at the position in 2016.  Walt Powell, Justin Hunter, etc with Goodwin as the #1 for many games. 

18 minutes ago, P51 said:

I think LB is just as important a need as OL and DL myself, was wondering your thoughts on the LB need for the Bills and potential options in the off season?

I can understand building from the lines back, makes sense, as does your ideal situation. I think a LB that can start and cover should be in that mix as well, if not two some how.  

I haven't got much into linebackers at all yet.  I have some names on my list to come back to but I have seen enough of Roquan Smith to say I absolutely love him.  I'm not mad keen on spending one of our 1st round picks on a linebacker if I am honest but I'd find it hard to hate picking Smith if he comes out.  

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yep, that scares me too. Those guys were evaluated before they hit FA or were traded.

I have real concerns about the defensive front 7. How many guys there will be starting next year? Hughes, Milano, maybe Shaq? Maybe Kyle? 

Re: The Front 7 - I have huge concerns about them myself, Hughes IMO along with Glenn are highly likely to be traded in the off season, Shaq??? He seems more like a rotational guy for McDefense (I do think he's better suited for RE myself), Kyle I think retires but  they might be able to convince to stay 1 more year and is at best a rotational guy, with Washington going into next year, Yarbrough and Davis are rotational depth guys, Alexander should be depth at best, Brown is a gone IMO, and Humber again is really a back up/spot starter. 

Crystal Ball Starters - DE - Shaq and Hughes/rookie/FA, DT - Rookie and FA, WLB - Milano/Humber/Rookie, ILB - Rookie, SLB - Rookie/FA/Lacey

Backups - DE - Yarbrough and Davis/Rookie, DT - Washington/coleman/thorton, Killiams/coleman/thorton/rookie, WLB - Milano/Humber/Rookie, ILB - Vallejo/FA/Rookie, SLB - Alexander/Lacey

This draft is deep at ILB and I think they will find one at this point to start going into next year, but along with QB and OL, the front 7 in general needs to be addressed in the offseason if not as badly, almost as badly QB and OL.

35 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

These guys are "good enough" and you can "get to the playoffs" with these guys. Just need a better than average defense and if they are surrounded by better players, IMO you can win with these guys. 

Seems as though I have heard something like that before, hmmmmm...... 

Fair enough, would you re-sign Matthews?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

McDermott was here though and i thought m that we all agree he has a lot of power. With that being said I don’t want to be a hypocrite because I said that I would let Woods and Goodwin walk for those prices. I was wrong in hindsight.

I do agree with that.

However, they may have thought, "We want to move Watkins, but we may not, so I don't want to overpay Woods and be stuck with both."  And then they got a Watkins offer that they wanted to jump at.  Hindsight would be 20-20.

5 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Yes, who out there is a better option?

I listed the group in the first post.  Assuming that he is looking at $6M+ (Which is really conservative IMO) there are a few guys that I’d rather have in that range. Richardson would be on top of that list and probably cost less than Matthews.  The Bills need speed.

5 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

I do agree with that.

However, they may have thought, "We want to move Watkins, but we may not, so I don't want to overpay Woods and be stuck with both."  And then they got a Watkins offer that they wanted to jump at.  Hindsight would be 20-20.

Yeah and I don’t want to be a hypocrite. I said that I wouldn’t sign Woods or Goodwin at that price. I’m not going to pretend now that I would have and have no room to criticize decisions that I agreed with.