Anyone concerned about the wr talent?

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's assuming that production is linear to targets, and I think that's a questionable premise. It's the same argument (sorry to derail slightly) that says Taylor should be throwing a bunch of passes/game because he's so efficient...there are a lot of examples of guys who can perform well in certain limited situations and with limited usage. Recently I think K. Williams (small sample, I know) was shown to be significantly less effective shouldering the load when McCoy went down than when he was used as a change of pace guy with limited reps. 

As far as Watkins goes, he certainly COULD be able to produce at the rate he's capable of with more targets, but increasing his targets doesn't necessarily mean his production will be comparable with his stats at lower usage. There's a give and take for all but the best guys who you've listed above...and tbh Evans is struggling this year to reproduce his last season while still seeing a lot of passes thrown his way. I don't think you can just look at an efficient guy and presuppose an increase in usage is going to generate an equivalent increase in productivity.

But Sammy was producing it on like 7 targets a game prior to this year. It’s not like a Goodwin sample size. There likely won’t be a massive drop off on the next 3 targets.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

But Sammy was producing it on like 7 targets a game prior to this year. It’s not like a Goodwin sample size. There likely won’t be a massive drop off on the next 3 targets.

I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying it's complicated. I definitely think Watkins should get as many passes thrown his way as, say, Marquise Lee is getting this season, but I wouldn't necessarily expect his production to remain as efficient as the numbers suggest. He should definitely be seeing AT LEAST as much of the ball as Kupp and Woods IMO unless they're actively trying to protect Goff which is very possible.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

None of that though factor directly into the 2 games I referenced we likely win with Sammy.  So you can pick what ever other games you want, but based on the actual games I mentioned, there is no denying better play at WR would have helped us win those games and Sammy would have been 10 folds better than anyone we rolled out those games.

Why is it people pick 2 games to a season to pump Taylor up?

Because it is what it is.   

B-)

59 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Riiiiight.

And I'm not a peterman-phile. I'm an "anyone-but-tyrod-phile."

That.  

20 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Why is it people pick 2 games to a season to pump Taylor up?

Because it is what it is.   

B-)

That.  

Not sure I follow...what does this have to do with Taylor?  WR issues plagued both those games with drops, sloppy routes, etc.  We are literally just talking about the difference having a better WR would have had in the very situations where others made mistakes.  This isn't about TT, its about the specific WR mistakes that occurred that contributed to those losses.  Why can't you discuss something without making it about TT?

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not sure I follow...what does this have to do with Taylor?  WR issues plagued both those games with drops, sloppy routes, etc.  We are literally just talking about the difference having a better WR would have had in the very situations where others made mistakes.  This isn't about TT, its about the specific WR mistakes that occurred that contributed to those losses.  Why can't you discuss something without making it about TT?

It's too much to ask for a myopic know nothing Petermaniac. Save your keystrokes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The QB is the one throwing the football. What mistakes are you talking about? Not being born as Stretch Armstrong or the Flash? Because you need superpowers to catch some of the passes Tyrod throws.

7 minutes ago, Luka said:

The QB is the one throwing the football. What mistakes are you talking about? Not being born as Stretch Armstrong or the Flash? Because you need superpowers to catch some of the passes Tyrod throws.

Let me guess, you are one who refuses to acknowledge watching Zay stumble over his own feet, unforced, make a sloppy cut, turn to look for the ball way late and then force himself to make a late adjustment to get to the spot he SHOULD have been in the Car game.  

TT has plenty of things to complain about this year, but that incomplete was solely on ZJ, and it cost us the game.  And I don't mean because he didn't make that tough catch, because it should NOT have been a tough catch had he not screwed his route and got his head around so late.  Not to mention the drops we had in both games by our WR's.  

You can also say swap out TT for a good QB too and say we win those game, however, we didn't have a good QB who we traded away in preseason.  We had Sammy, so I look at what impact Sammy could have had in the games had he not been traded.  And the Panther game and Bengal game saw several issues from the WR group which wasn't very good to begin with without Sammy.

So again, not about TT...about impact Sammy might have had if he was in there instead of lesser talented guys in those 2 specific games.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Just now, LarryMadman said:

Similar to a know nothing CoT member? 

Another Petermaniac who doesn't understand anything.  Taylor is the best QB on the team period, but that doesn't mean anyone who knows that thinks he's the long term answer.  He isn't.  Now off to the kid's table. 

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Let me guess, you are one who refuses to acknowledge watching Zay stumble over his own feet, unforced, make a sloppy cut, turn to look for the ball way late and then force himself to make a late adjustment to get to the spot he SHOULD have been in the Car game.  

TT has plenty of things to complain about this year, but that incomplete was solely on ZJ, and it cost us the game.  And I don't mean because he didn't make that tough catch, because it should NOT have been a tough catch had he not screwed his route and got his head around so late.  Not to mention the drops we had in both games by our WR's.  

You can also say swap out TT for a good QB too and say we win those game, however, we didn't have a good QB who we traded away in preseason.  We had Sammy, so I look at what impact Sammy could have had in the games had he not been traded.  And the Panther game and Bengal game saw several issues from the WR group which wasn't very good to begin with without Sammy.

So again, not about TT...about impact Sammy might have had if he was in there instead of lesser talented guys in those 2 specific games.

Sammy sucks. He's what, third or fourth in receptions on the Rams? Hell he hasn't even been as productive in LA as he's been here. Overshadowed by Woods, another guy Tyrod wouldn't throw too, and a rookie. It is the QB play period. Forget the bad throw to Zay, what else did he do that game? Nothing.

What are you if you think Tyrod isn't good enough and Peterman sucks? Just so I can have it printed on my business card.

EDIT: on topic it is entirely possible Watkins makes a play to win us the Carolina or Cincy games..... but there were plays there to be made with the receivers that we had as well. Get a better Quarterback the receivers will suddenly look better, get better receivers and they will bail the average Quarterback out more often. It isn't either or.... it's both. But WR is lower down my list of 2018 priorities. I see it as more of a complete the job in 2019 priority. 

Edited by GunnerBill