Anyone concerned about the wr talent?

53 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

While the Bills work to remake this roster we rarely see people talk about it. Before anyone says, you can’t do anything with TT, Marquise Goodwin has more yards this year than Matthews, Jones and Benjamin combined for the Bills. He played primarily with Hoyer and Beathard. Romo talked about it during the game on Sunday; the guys don’t get open. As we bring in a rookie QB it would be wise to give him weapons.

Personally I think Matthews stinks, he’s never open and is a limited athlete. Benjamin is a good, not great WR. Zay has been a big disappointment to me because I had high expectations. He just always seems to be off balance. I like Thompson and think that he fills a role. The Bills still need a #1/2 depending on how you define Benjamin. 

Would you rather sign someone like Davante Adams, Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson, Terrelle Pryor, Paul Richardson or Donte Moncrief or draft a guy in the first couple of rounds? 

Good post. No question that our receiving corps is below average. However, this unit can reasonably be upgraded in the offseason.  Matthews will probably be gone after the season. I'm much more upbeat on Zay Jones that you appear to be . You can see the seeds of a good player as he gains confidence. Benjamin is a good number two receiver. He will never fill the role of a number one receiver because he simply isn't good enough or dynamic enough to become that caliber of player. You didn't mention the TE in your post. Clay is a good receiver and would be even more productive with a good qb. As far as I'm concerned the Goodwin loss is matched with the Jones addition. So his departure wasn't so damaging. We could still use another speed receiver to back up the defensive backfield. 

As you noted in your last paragraph there are some good free agent prospects who can upgrade the unit. Pryor was a disaster with the Skins but he was playing on a bad ankle all season long. There are options to draw from. 

I know you don't want to get drawn into another depressing qb discussion but it doesn't matter who your receivers are until you upgrade the qb position. You and I have always acknowledged the superlative talents of Watkins. Those talents were wasted here. If you get the qb position playing at a respectable level then the current below-average unit will internally improve.  

1 hour ago, Air it out Fitzy said:

Add a speed guy in the draft and its pretty good.  

Zay will be good for a long time and I'm a big KB fan.  

Holmes and co can get lost though 

Zay & KB are the only guys you keep. Everyone else you let go. And yes we will need to draft or FA more help. 

16 minutes ago, 87168 said:

the OC personnel has regressed.

since he has been here, he has had two different head coaches due to the FO firing them. I would hardly say TT "burned" through them. Roman and A. Lynn had this offense clicking...the FO changed staff, and the entire offense has since regressed, including the run game.

You're wasting your time pointing out facts to Shady.  Some posters with agendas don't let the truth deter them from spreading their propaganda.

17 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I'm concerned by the entire offence. I may not be smart enough to pinpoint details but it's obvious we have low to no production on that side of the ball.

I don't want a conservative offence that just wants to hang around I hope they abandon that philosophy. I want long calculated sustained drives for touchdowns. I want to feel like the offense has a potential to score every time they hit the field. I wanna be feared not a joke. I wanna be up by 21 points still going for the throat like I'm down 21 points.

I have no particular wish. I hope they do everything they can to fix the hot mess that is the offence. 

Why fix what's not broken?  It's Jauronball 2.0.

McDermott has been calling the shots since his hire. WR was not a weakness he created it by letting two guys walk and trading another. DT was not a weakness now it is, I know, I know, Dareus is lazy, but when he felt like playing he was great. As six games enough to determine that Dareus could not be coached or motivated? Most of the draft picks acquired now have to be used to fill holes where there wasn't any. How about LB? Was no games enough time to evaluate Ragland? So here are this teams needs, QB, OL, WR, RB, DT, LB. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

Absolutely give your QB weapons. I'm just saying have the above average QB first. Without the QB, the receivers don't matter.

How, exactly, will you know that you have "an above average QB" if he doesn't have protection or targets?  When he goes elsewhere and shines like so many other ex-Bills have done in recent years?

• Like (+1) 1

This isn't intended to make excuses for the receivers not consistently getting open but since Roman became OC, they've had some pretty elementary passing schemes that aren't difficult to defend. Now, I haven't looked much into Dennison's passing game but he does seem to excel at getting the tight end open. When Clay has been active he's been a difference maker on offense. 

And it may not look like guys aren't getting open but they are and there are plenty of times per game where Taylor flat out doesn't see them, or does see them and doesn't pull the trigger because he's not confident enough to zip one into a tight window. 

But yeah, as it's been said already, a speed guy to make safeties back up would go a long way in helping the other dudes get open. And it's clear that Taylor is part of the problem. Woods has been balling all year, and Watkins seems like he's coming into a groove over the last few games. McVay has done wonders for Goff and that offense. It's incredible what happens when you design your scheme around the natural skill sets of your players. 

Edited by blacklabel

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

While the Bills work to remake this roster we rarely see people talk about it. Before anyone says, you can’t do anything with TT, Marquise Goodwin has more yards this year than Matthews, Jones and Benjamin combined for the Bills. He played primarily with Hoyer and Beathard. Romo talked about it during the game on Sunday; the guys don’t get open. As we bring in a rookie QB it would be wise to give him weapons.

Personally I think Matthews stinks, he’s never open and is a limited athlete. Benjamin is a good, not great WR. Zay has been a big disappointment to me because I had high expectations. He just always seems to be off balance. I like Thompson and think that he fills a role. The Bills still need a #1/2 depending on how you define Benjamin. 

Would you rather sign someone like Davante Adams, Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson, Terrelle Pryor, Paul Richardson or Donte Moncrief or draft a guy in the first couple of rounds? 

It's a slight concern to me.

I think Jones was a disappointment earlier in the season but I think he's better now.  

I think Matthews is a decent WR...not great or bad. 

It's really hard for me to judge our WR group as a whole with QB play as bad as it is.  They aren't great by any stretch but our passing production from the QB position is unacceptable IMO.  Our WR talent is 61 yards per game average bad like we had in our last 2 home games....QB is by far the biggest issue.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

KB stays as your X

Zay slides inside to the Slot

Z is open. My gut says FA, and UFAs that fit the profile we need are Mike Wallace, Taylor Gabriel, Allen Robinson, Kendall Wright. That said, I'd be fine if this slot was James Washington or Calvin Ridley.

Re-sign Thompson as WR4

Draft 1 more for depth & development.

Add 1 for KR/PR unless a Rook can do it for you.

Completely agree regarding Matthews.

As you know, I've been all over signing Paul Richardson.  I think he's the exact missing piece in this WR corps: speed, hands, explosiveness, and has been around a winning organization.

Put him on the boundary across from KB, slide Zay into the slot, and run with Holmes and Deonte as the 4/5.  Toss in a youngster like Brandon Reilly and you're in good shape IMO.

53 minutes ago, chris heff said:

McDermott has been calling the shots since his hire. WR was not a weakness he created it by letting two guys walk and trading another. DT was not a weakness now it is, I know, I know, Dareus is lazy, but when he felt like playing he was great. As six games enough to determine that Dareus could not be coached or motivated? Most of the draft picks acquired now have to be used to fill holes where there wasn't any. How about LB? Was no games enough time to evaluate Ragland? So here are this teams needs, QB, OL, WR, RB, DT, LB. 

Hey hey, take it easy.  At least we retained Jordan Mills.

To the original question, Allen Robinson is a top 5 WR as far as talent goes.  Pretty sure the Jags will tag him, but if not, he should be priority #1 for Beane.

And the offense was good!! Look at what the Bills receivers are doing now. Goodwin has more yards than Benjamin, Matthews and Jones combined!! He had Hoyer and Beathard. The guys we have aren’t good. They get no separation and don’t scare anyone down the field. That’s an awful combination of skills. You have to do at least one of the 2.

With that being said they are going to have a new QB anyways. You don’t need to wait and find out that Jordan Matthews is never open. Just watch the tape. There is zero chance that he is back. You need to fill that spot regardless.

Tyrod is a 3000 yard passer with Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and Tim Brown.  He is what he is.  When you can't anticipate and throw receivers open then you aren't going to be successful in the NFL.  Separation at this level does not happen often and when it does the window closes so fast it will make your head spin.  If the ball isn't there on time it doesn't matter if for a brief second the receiver gained the edge.  The best QB's will throw the receiver open and put it in a place that only they can get it.  When they are covered, they aren't covered.  With someone like KB, you lay that ball up there high and to the outside and let him grab it like a rebound.  Surely they will be adding a speed guy this offseason but to say the current receivers aren't good enough is a myth.  They have all been successful in the past and will continue to be in the post-Tyrod era

• Like (+1) 1

Investing high dollars or high draft picks in wide receivers is mostly a waste.

You need to have the Quarterback first.

New England has consistently featured a high-powered passing game.  Outside of 1-2 years with Randy Moss and this year adding Brandin Cooks, they have invested almost nothing in their receiver corps.  It's all about Tom Brady.  You could literally put anyone on that offense, and they will still be Top 10 in scoring. 

Look at the guys who have surrounded Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning etc. through their careers -- then look what happens when those players go to a lesser Quarterback in free agency.  Most of the time, they disappear and are never heard from again.

Calvin Johnson was probably the most talented receiver to play in the NFL in the past 10 years.  He retired and the Detroit Lions offense doesn't even miss him.  In fact, I can't think of a single offense in the NFL where a Wide Receiver carries the team.  Even the great Jerry Rice always played with strong QBs during his career.  Would he have been so great playing with a bad QB his whole career, instead of Joe Montana, Steve Young and Rich Gannon?  Doubt it.

Draft a Quarterback who can see the field quickly, then deliver accurate throws into tight windows... suddenly the Bills will have a strong group of receivers.

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

Tyrod is a 3000 yard passer with Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and Tim Brown.  He is what he is.

If he is what he is why do you need to exaggerate to make your point?

He is a 3000 yard passer in 14 games with Watkins, Woods, and Hogan

He is a 3000 yard passer in 15 games with Woods, Goodwin, and Watkins for 7 games

Anyway, this is about our WRs, not QB, as Kirby suggested multiple times.

1 hour ago, Air it out Fitzy said:

All anyone did was bash Goodwin while he was here.     Now we all want him back ?

Those were pretty funny.   All the Sammy haters showed us the stats that proved Matthews > Sammy ?

That wont apply next year.    

Well said and you kind of illustrated the point that I was trying to make. We aren’t talking about this year. We are talking about next year when we will presumably have a young 1st round QB to build around.  Let’s give him everything that he needs to succeed. Jordan Matthews in the starting lineup isn’t that.

54 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Completely agree regarding Matthews.

As you know, I've been all over signing Paul Richardson.  I think he's the exact missing piece in this WR corps: speed, hands, explosiveness, and has been around a winning organization.

Put him on the boundary across from KB, slide Zay into the slot, and run with Holmes and Deonte as the 4/5.  Toss in a youngster like Brandon Reilly and you're in good shape IMO.

That’s why I threw Richardson out there. He may be the perfect fit and you’ve been saying that for months. I think that WR group that you mentioned is a big upgrade on what we have now.