Do you take Lamar Jackson?

Bakin

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If I recall correctly, Cam Newton takes a lot of sh** for his demeanor and what he says (or doesn't say) in pressers and for generally being a "punk"

Which I would be fine with - Newton makes enough $$ he can hire a PR and speaking coach and since it's part of the job, maybe he should - except it seems some other QB escape a similar degree of scrutiny for their post-game behavior.

You said the content in the first 30 seconds was what got to you.  The content was incredibly vanilla "team props".   A lot of QB give props to their team up front.  Now it seems you're back to his accent and patterns of speech.  Which is it?

Lamar says he ‘thought he caught a heart attack’. 

Thats what lost me. 

Combine that with his speech and mannerisms...he’s almost retarded. 

Doesnt mean he’s not a good football player or leader or team player. 

Certainly not impressive interview skills. 

39 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Thats what lost me. 

LOL!  That's not an uncommon idiom.  Not as common as "Bless her heart" in the South, but not uncommon.  Check this out. Or this.

You can see where it comes from as an idiom: caught the flu, caught pneumonia, caught a heart attack......

Don't want to judge, but calling someone "almost retarded" because you aren't accustomed to their idioms is.....um....almost rrrrrrrrrrr

Saying he doesn't have the speech and mannerisms of an educated professional is absolutely fair, and if it's critical to a team that the "face of our franchise" be able to speak like a CEO or a lawyer, don't draft Lamar Jackson, sure.  If you like him, do extra work into probing how well he understands and can pick up the game, sure.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Thats what lost me. 

What's wrong with his mannerisms? He always addresses people he talks to with Sir and Ma'am. Besides, I'm looking for a NFL QB to lead my team to/and win the Super Bowl not someone to run a Fortune 500 company. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

LOL!  That's not an uncommon idiom.  Not as common as "Bless her heart" in the South, but not uncommon.  Check this out. Or this.

You can see where it comes from as an idiom: caught the flu, caught pneumonia, caught a heart attack......

Don't want to judge, but calling someone "almost retarded" because you aren't accustomed to their idioms is.....um....almost rrrrrrrrrrr

Saying he doesn't have the speech and mannerisms of an educated professional is absolutely fair, and if it's critical to a team that the "face of our franchise" be able to speak like a CEO or a lawyer, don't draft Lamar Jackson, sure.  If you like him, do extra work into probing how well he understands and can pick up the game, sure.

It’s a very uncommon idiom - so uncommon that it pretty much doesn’t exist. I can’t find any reference anywhere of ‘catching a heart attack’....

(Edit: I just saw your links...very uncommon still and incorrect). 

And I’m not saying I’m better - I was saying ‘for all intensive purposes’ through my late teens. 

But then again, I’m not interviewing for a million dollar a year job. 

And as a spectator of this great spectator sport, that’s what I see. 

Im not against drafting Lamar, for what it’s worth. Athletes don’t need to be CEOs of interviews. They need to be CEOs of their huddle. 

I just think he sounds retarded. 

But I digress....

Edited by Bakin

On 2/25/2018 at 5:19 PM, the skycap said:

His southern draw makes him unin.telligible??

A little northern snobbery IMO. I was impressed with interview. He was nineteen. How many could do better at this age ? I COULD understand what he said and to the person who said he was almost retarded, you are a bigot.... and you only listened for a minute?? and could make this judgment ??. Northern bias/bigotry to that person. TY SKYCAP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/5/2017 at 10:31 AM, the skycap said:

Exactly Yolo!! I think PFF has an adjusted completion % based on drops by his receivers. Everything about Jackson's game improved from his Heisman winning season with the exception of total TDs and that could've been due to the drops. Lamar is a DYNAMIC talent at the QB position and I would be ecstatic if he landed with the Bills. I also haven't heard of any "off the field" issues about him.

Agree 100% with you and Yolo. BB says best player available.......Jackson at #12, or a move higher to ensure we get him because he is the total package. Vea or Vander Esch with #22 and Beane will Win Round 1

Yes.  The argument I always hear from Bills fans is we don't draft QBs,  which I agree is not good.   But this year the argument is we need to trade all top draft assets the next two seasons and get a QB.  To me that is myopic.  We almost beat Jacksonville in playoffs with Tyrod.   This could be the best Bills draft since the late 80's.  Two 1sts, two 2nds, 2 3rds- a stacked 2019 draft class and a deep 2018 draft class, and cap room next season.  IMO Darnold and Mayfield are two best by a decent margin.  Then Rosen, then Allen.  If we could draft one with a trade up to 7, I am down.  But the strength of this draft is RB, DL, interior OL, LB- which we could use 1 or 2 of each,  and next years draft is even better.  As always, I advocate BPA, and multiple trade downs- load up on top 50 picks and 2019 draft picks in a loaded class

oh yeah, to answer the question- yes I absolutely draft Lamar Jackson.   He could be the steal of the draft for QBs IMO

13 hours ago, Bfanlc said:

It's interesting to me that Lamar Jackson, who has a "rep" as a "run first QB" or a "RB who throws", in 3 years threw more passes (1086 vs 1026) and threw for more passing yards (9043 vs 9016) than McCarron did in 4 years. 

It's not a rap on McCarron of course - he did exactly what he was asked to do in 'bama - although, it is a "watch out" because in his Bengals starts, the one thing he lacked was passing yardage despite throwing to 2 very good WR and a good TE.

To me, it's mostly another sign of how Jackson's mad rushing abilities can blind people to his actual QB chops.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:24 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's interesting to me that Lamar Jackson, who has a "rep" as a "run first QB" or a "RB who throws", in 3 years threw more passes (1086 vs 1026) and threw for more passing yards (9043 vs 9016) than McCarron did in 4 years. 

It's not a rap on McCarron of course - he did exactly what he was asked to do in 'bama - although, it is a "watch out" because in his Bengals starts, the one thing he lacked was passing yardage despite throwing to 2 very good WR and a good TE.

To me, it's mostly another sign of how Jackson's mad rushing abilities can blind people to his actual QB chops.

At first I thought the same...wow look at those yards, in less games more yardage. But then I see Jackson threw the ball more but had a worse completion %, fewer tds, and more picks (almost double). You would expect that with the yardage he would have more tds but he doesn't. McCarron also only lost 4 games his entire career. Though it gives him credit for 4 years he was only a 3 year starter. To me if the Bills draft Jackson they'll get a guy that turns the ball over more and is inaccurate with his throws. I don't see him as good as Deshaun Watson. Watson is on another level.

Also have to remember that A.J. got the Bengals to the playoffs and had them ahead until a fumble by the r.b. in the closing minutes and personal fouls by the morons in the defensive back field. Who by the way I would have released after the game after their bonehead plays. 

Really a tough call on who to draft. I watch a lot of college ball and each one of these qbs have issues and will need to sit for awhile to adjust. I wouldn't want to be a GM this year.

On April 19, 2018 at 4:08 PM, Bfanlc said:

At first I thought the same...wow look at those yards, in less games more yardage. But then I see Jackson threw the ball more but had a worse completion %, fewer tds, and more picks (almost double). You would expect that with the yardage he would have more tds but he doesn't. McCarron also only lost 4 games his entire career. Though it gives him credit for 4 years he was only a 3 year starter. To me if the Bills draft Jackson they'll get a guy that turns the ball over more and is inaccurate with his throws. I don't see him as good as Deshaun Watson. Watson is on another level.

Also have to remember that A.J. got the Bengals to the playoffs and had them ahead until a fumble by the r.b. in the closing minutes and personal fouls by the morons in the defensive back field. Who by the way I would have released after the game after their bonehead plays. 

Really a tough call on who to draft. I watch a lot of college ball and each one of these qbs have issues and will need to sit for awhile to adjust. I wouldn't want to be a GM this year.

McCarron's Alabama team has an inordinate amount of his players on NFL rosters. Lamar Jackson doesn't. Hence the win/loss, TDs and better comp pct. Also McCarron threw a lot of check down passes in college. Jackson's offense required him to push the ball downfield.

On 4/22/2018 at 6:05 PM, the skycap said:

McCarron's Alabama team has an inordinate amount of his players on NFL rosters. Lamar Jackson doesn't. Hence the win/loss, TDs and better comp pct. Also McCarron threw a lot of check down passes in college. Jackson's offense required him to push the ball downfield.

How would NFL players on McCarrons teams explain the yardage difference? You can't take negatives away just to prove a point. If Jackson was able to throw for that kind of yardage then he had to have had some kind of talent at the receiver position. So he either did or didn't have talent there. If he did then all the negatives are on him. If he didn't how'd he get the yardage? Just because your offense is predicated on throwing down field doesn't necessarily mean your wide receivers are going to catch it. Just some thoughts.

Besides AJ throws a great deep ball. We'll find out soon that's for sure lol

1 hour ago, Bfanlc said:

How would NFL players on McCarrons teams explain the yardage difference? You can't take negatives away just to prove a point. 1) If Jackson was able to throw for that kind of yardage then he had to have had some kind of talent at the receiver position. So he either did or didn't have talent there. If he did then all the negatives are on him. 2) If he didn't how'd he get the yardage? Just because your offense is predicated on throwing down field doesn't necessarily mean your wide receivers are going to catch it. Just some thoughts.

3) Besides AJ throws a great deep ball. We'll find out soon that's for sure lol

1) Those college receivers who Jackson threw to... had some talent to crack the starting line up. I mean, come back to planet Earth. Someone had to be a receiver, dude.

2) Jackson had to throw to get yardage. Duh. How else he's gonna do it? Sleep all day and get all those stats in his mind? Then he woke up and wrote them down on a note pad. So people awarded him the Heisman for bull$hitting? There are plenty of Youtube vids of Jackson actually playing. Yes, he plays QB. You couldn't see him?

3) No one cares. Every QB at the NFL level can throw deep. Cincinnati didn't give a rat's @$$ about his deep ball and got rid of AJ anyway.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.