Do you take Lamar Jackson?

Bakin

7 hours ago, ALF said:

I've watched  his interview , you can tell he is from a humble background , very respectful , wears a big crucifix. I will bet he will work hard to be successful.

I hope he has a good career , rooting for him. 

The junior quarterback ran a 4.34-second 40 ,     wow

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2017/03/09/lamar-jackson-runs-40-yard-dash/98930194/

Wow. Couldn’t listen for more than a minute. 

Unintelligable. 

Great football player though

10 hours ago, H2o said:

The argument with Allen is the lack of talent around him. I can see that. He was at Wyoming. Wyoming isn't exactly a recruiting haven of any kind. He has athletic ability that you either are gifted with or you don't have it at all. It is in some different ways, but he and Jackson are both gifted athletes. Allen can make some jaw-dropping throws at times, but you worry about the consistency and mental makeup. Overall he has a cannon for an arm, can make any throw standing still or on the move, and he is a big boy. I wouldn't trade up for him, but would roll the dice if we stand pat and he is there at #21. 

Darnold is another guy qho seems to have all the tools desired in a franchise QB. He also has A LOT more NFL level talent around him at USC than these other guys had. To me that is the worry. He's coming off of a season with a lot of turnovers and bad decisions that are on the game tape. In the NFL windows are smaller and open for less time than in college. Does he have what it takes mentally to succeed? He is mobile enough to move around in the pocket or scramble if necessary. He as well can make every throw. He doesn't have Allen's arm strength, but has enough to throw to all levels. Another guy I would not trade up for, but roll the dice on at #21. 

Jackson is an electric athlete. There is no questioning that. He also certainly had better talent around him than Josh Allen did at Wyoming. He played in a Bobby Petrino offense that is famous for big numbers as well. He still couldn't put up a 60% completion percentage in college. People want to talk about adjusted numbers for his completion percentage, but is that just a ball that hits his receiver's hands in general? I have watched the guy numerous times. His ball placement is everywhere, his mechanics are everywhere, and he misses open guys a lot. He's also less accurate throwing the ball to the deeper levels than any of the other top QB's. In the NFL guys are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever before. Will his running style translate or will it get him killed? I see defenses loading the box and making him try to beat you with his arm. I don't think he can. I wouldn't draft the guy unless he was there in the 3rd and then he would have to be open to a position change. I don't think he sticks as a QB in the NFL. 

Posters on here love to hate on Jackson's comp pct. You all know that EJ Manuel had one of the better comp pct coming out of college. Next is Jackson's mechanics. Who's mechanics/throwing motion were worse that Philip Rivers coming out of college? Darnold has a quirky throwing motion yet he's not getting hammered for it. Then it's his mental aspect. Jackson has become more of a pocket passer in 2017. Check his 2017 tape.

9 hours ago, the skycap said:

Posters on here love to hate on Jackson's comp pct. You all know that EJ Manuel had one of the better comp pct coming out of college. Next is Jackson's mechanics. Who's mechanics/throwing motion were worse that Philip Rivers coming out of college? Darnold has a quirky throwing motion yet he's not getting hammered for it. Then it's his mental aspect. Jackson has become more of a pocket passer in 2017. Check his 2017 tape.

I've watched Jackson's games. At the least 10 over the last two years, but I'm thinking I may have watched more. I don't just watch youtube videos and form an opinion. I stand by my assessment of him. I don't think he'll make it at QB in the NFL. 

Edited by H2o

I thought that interview with Dan Patrick was very revealing.  His speech had previously concerned me but with Patrick, Lamar showed a quick sense of humor, humility and deep love for his mom.  He displayed a good memory and some football savvy.  The coaches will be able to evaluate him for his ability to remember a huge playbook but the interview left me much more reassured than previously.  Accuracy remains a concern and will be analyzed to death in the upcoming weeks.

14 hours ago, H2o said:

I've watched Jackson's games. At the least 10 over the last two years, but I'm thinking I may have watched more. I don't just watch youtube videos and form an opinion. I stand by my assessment of him. I don't think he'll make it at QB in the NFL. 

Everyone speaks of the lack of talent that Josh Allen had offensively while at Wyoming. Is there any of Lamar Jackson's former teammates in the NFL? Are any of current teammates considered high prospects? 

2 hours ago, the skycap said:

Everyone speaks of the lack of talent that Josh Allen had offensively while at Wyoming. Is there any of Lamar Jackson's former teammates in the NFL? Are any of current teammates considered high prospects? 

Louisville’s LT and CB will both be drafted pretty early. 

Josh Allen had the least talent. LJ and Rosen probably were more comparable in their supporting cast this year. Definitely some talented QBs this year that had to shoulder a big load for their teams. LJ at 21 would be great by me.

11 hours ago, LEBills said:

Louisville’s LT and CB will both be drafted pretty early. 

Josh Allen had the least talent. LJ and Rosen probably were more comparable in their supporting cast this year. Definitely some talented QBs this year that had to shoulder a big load for their teams. LJ at 21 would be great by me.

A couple of comments here.  I think it's true Josh Allen had the least talent.  I think it's also true he played against the lowest level of talent.  People forget that.

LJ had a couple of WR with nice moves.  I think you'd need to understand his intent to interpret accuracy sometimes. I've seen a couple clips where the WR had to make a move, but the DB would have to go THROUGH the WR to have a chance at the ball - and the WR looked as though he expected the ball to be where it was.   I think some of LJ's throws look off target but he actually put the ball pretty much where he wanted it.

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A couple of comments here.  I think it's true Josh Allen had the least talent.  I think it's also true he played against the lowest level of talent.  People forget that.

LJ had a couple of WR with nice moves.  I think you'd need to understand his intent to interpret accuracy sometimes. I've seen a couple clips where the WR had to make a move, but the DB would have to go THROUGH the WR to have a chance at the ball - and the WR looked as though he expected the ball to be where it was.   I think some of LJ's throws look off target but he actually put the ball pretty much where he wanted it.

This guy did a great breakdown of Lamar. 

On 2/25/2018 at 12:28 PM, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

It will get him killed.  Just wait until he takes off running and a 205 pound safety comes up and hits him low, completely destroying his knee.  Then, we can watch as his regresses to the level of EJ or Trent Edwards, because he'll be so afraid to take another low hit.

You do know that QB who roll out of the pocket are just as vulnerable, even if they don't run?

15 minutes ago, the skycap said:

This guy did a great breakdown of Lamar.

Voch Lombardi.  This is Exhibit A of what I mean by Voch's ADD tendencies as a reviewer - he's supposedly breaking down Jackson and right in the middle he goes off on his fav mock draft program LOL.  He's also way stuck on Jackson's abilities as a runner, which are stunning of course, but I wish he put more horsepower into passing e v a l.

He makes some great points about Jackson having the proper footwork and accuracy at times, and when he most often loses it (pressure, no room to step up), and how his stance is non-standard but effective.  He doesn't show any of the throws where I think Jackson is putting the ball exactly where he and the WR expect it to be, but it's not an easy catch.

He does show two great examples where Jackson puts the ball right where it's an easy catch for the WR and he drops it, and another (that he IDs as an off throw) where the LB had the WR or TE arm hooked as the ball got there and it wasn't flagged.

I like Cover1's breakdown better.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You do know that QB who roll out of the pocket are just as vulnerable, even if they don't run?

Voch Lombardi.  This is Exhibit A of what I mean by Voch's ADD tendencies as a reviewer - he's supposedly breaking down Jackson and right in the middle he goes off on his fav mock draft program LOL.  He's also way stuck on Jackson's abilities as a runner, which are stunning of course, but I wish he put more horsepower into passing e v a l.

He makes some great points about Jackson having the proper footwork and accuracy at times, and when he most often loses it (pressure, no room to step up), and how his stance is non-standard but effective.  He doesn't show any of the throws where I think Jackson is putting the ball exactly where he and the WR expect it to be, but it's not an easy catch.

He does show two great examples where Jackson puts the ball right where it's an easy catch for the WR and he drops it, and another (that he IDs as an off throw) where the LB had the WR or TE arm hooked as the ball got there and it wasn't flagged.

I like Cover1's breakdown better.

Cover's was good!! The accuracy/footwork thing was BIG to me. Showed it is fixable and if I'm not mistaking Green Bay had to work on Aaron Rodgers. I like how he showed how Lamar manipulated the safety and threw a dart to his receiver. Will Brinson in his latest mock has the Bills drafting Lamar and people are sleeping the Daboll effect. I think there is a reason we haven't seen a press conference with our NEW OC yet. Hapless, I want to see Lamar Jackson in a Bills uniform!!

On 2/25/2018 at 7:56 PM, Bakin said:

It’s not his drawl. 

It’s the content of what he said. 

Ill give it another shot but he lost me after 30 seconds. 

Right, so in his first 30 seconds he was asked something incredibly vanilla about whether/when winning the Heisman had sunk in, and he said something very vanilla and team-minded about it still hadn't (sunk in) and he thought it would sink in when he was back having fun with his teammates because without them, he never would have won it.

Yeah, crappy content there for a team sport guy's public face, giving props to his teammates up front.  I mean, I get it that he doesn't look like an executive or sound like an executive, and some people won't care for that from the "face of the franchise" guy, but methinks some of you are gonna sprain yourself stretching for reasons to hate.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right, so in his first 30 seconds he was asked something incredibly vanilla about whether/when winning the Heisman had sunk in, and he said something very vanilla and team-minded about it still hadn't (sunk in) and he thought it would sink in when he was back having fun with his teammates because without them, he never would have won it.

Yeah, crappy content there for a team sport guy's public face, giving props to his teammates up front.  I mean, I get it that he doesn't look like an executive or sound like an executive, and some people won't care for that from the "face of the franchise" guy, but methinks some of you are gonna sprain yourself stretching for reasons to hate.

He's not a "me" guy, he's a "we" guy. In every interview he speaks of the team concept. Sign of a great leader. As far as looking/sounding like an executive, has anyone paid attention to Cam Newton's pressers?

On 2/25/2018 at 10:28 AM, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

It will get him killed.  Just wait until he takes off running and a 205 pound safety comes up and hits him low, completely destroying his knee.  Then, we can watch as his regresses to the level of EJ or Trent Edwards, because he'll be so afraid to take another low hit.

Those knees get just as effectively destroyed by QBs that sit in the pocket.....there is evidence to back that up

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just something I noticed. 

I mean, how many college grads do you know who talk like that?

how many NFL QBs talk like that?

Not a fan of that ....

if he was saying like like like I would say the same thing. 

38 minutes ago, the skycap said:

He's not a "me" guy, he's a "we" guy. In every interview he speaks of the team concept. Sign of a great leader. As far as looking/sounding like an executive, has anyone paid attention to Cam Newton's pressers?

If I recall correctly, Cam Newton takes a lot of sh** for his demeanor and what he says (or doesn't say) in pressers and for generally being a "punk"

Which I would be fine with - Newton makes enough $$ he can hire a PR and speaking coach and since it's part of the job, maybe he should - except it seems some other QB escape a similar degree of scrutiny for their post-game behavior.

9 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Just something I noticed. 

I mean, how many college grads do you know who talk like that?

how many NFL QBs talk like that?

Not a fan of that ....

if he was saying like like like I would say the same thing. 

You said the content in the first 30 seconds was what got to you.  The content was incredibly vanilla "team props".   A lot of QB give props to their team up front.  Now it seems you're back to his accent and patterns of speech.  Which is it?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

37 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Those knees get just as effectively destroyed by QBs that sit in the pocket.....there is evidence to back that up

It's certainly a point that the QB with the worst knee problems in the league, Sam Bradford, is a notably immobile pocket passer.

Knee 1

Knee 2

As you can see, Knee 2 is just making a throw under near-redshirt pressure.

I'm actually more worried about Mason Rudolph getting hurt because I see a lot of Sam Bradford in how he runs - awkward!

On 07/02/2018 at 6:06 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....I see TT as one that even though 7 years at this level, STILL struggles with the mental aspect of the game, namely reads, progressions, defenses, spotting/trusting receivers....sure Jackson is a rook, but are those his early and similar tendencies from your observations?.....my observation of the Peterman kid so far (obviously limited) is that he has shown a better grasp of the mental game especially this early on......physical part can come later with the S&T staff...

Peterman threw 5 NFL interceptions with less than 50 attempts, completed only 48 per cent of his passes, and has a QBR rating in the 30's. He does not process the mental aspect of the game better than TT, and its not even close. He panics, regularly, because the live game is too fast for him. Please, stop making these arguments. They are embarassing, as you are clearly seeing a difference that has nothing to do with football.

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.