Do you take Lamar Jackson?

Bakin

No. It's time Bills got a pocket passer. Quit the gimmicks. Get a QB who can primarily move the football from the pocket. I don't mind athletic QBs but it has to be used as a compliment to his arm... not the primary threat and the ability to move around in the pocket. 

In that scenario I take Mayfield.

33 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

No. It's time Bills got a pocket passer. Quit the gimmicks. Get a QB who can primarily move the football from the pocket. I don't mind athletic QBs but it has to be used as a compliment to his arm... not the primary threat and the ability to move around in the pocket. 

In that scenario I take Mayfield.

Mayfield isn’t really a pocket passer.  He loves to roll out of the pocket, but unlike Tyrod, he looks to throw rather than run.  Plus, Mayfield is maybe 6’ tall.  No impossible to overcome “short” stature, well by NFL QB standards anyway, but it is challenging.

On 12/6/2017 at 7:28 PM, Jay_Fixit said:

I wouldn’t touch Jackson before round 3. And the Mariota comparison is terrible. Mariota was much more polished of a passer. 

Jackson has all the talent to succeed but I don’t trust a guy who’s in a great offensive system and is barely scraping the 60% completion rate.

Not to mention 57.4% over 1055 career attempts.

I agree the Mariota comparison is bad, but for the opposite reason.  Jackson is a far better passer already than Mariota will ever hope to be.  As much as it is becoming cliche, Lamar can make ALL the necessary NFL throws.  Phenomenal arm.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Augie said:

Has Jackson bulked up some? I’d look it up, but they lie. Does he look more sturdy? 

Yeah, he has bulked up some, however, he is still slight of frame for his height.  One of the main criticisms of Jackson, IIRC, is that he’s come close to his ceiling in terms of his body type.  More of a WR’s build.

13 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

we do not run a read option offense and I’m tired of having QBs where throwing the football is their second best quality

Louisville didn't run a read option offense and it's always a plus when you have a QB that has wheels too. I say QB because Lamar Jackson is a QB that uses his legs as a option to make plays. He has developed as a pocket QB and is progressing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, the skycap said:

Louisville didn't run a read option offense and it's always a plus when you have a QB that has wheels too. I say QB because Lamar Jackson is a QB that uses his legs as a option to make plays. He has developed as a pocket QB and is progressing.

Maybe so, but I just prefer a more refined passer

On 12/5/2017 at 7:29 AM, Bakin said:

Without the Bills trading up, it looks like Rosen or Darnold are out of the picture. 

Which leaves Heisman winner Lamar Jackson as a possibility in the middle of the 1st. 

While he's not my first choice - Kid seems like a gamer to me. 

Anyone hesitant to give him a shot?

I'll take this years Heisman

My view on taking Jackson is that he would probably by my 5th choice..... but I would consider it in the first.  I have him graded as a Round 2 guy but I don't mind the Bills going for a guy that I consider a little reach this year.  It is better than consistently punting on QBs.  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My view on taking Jackson is that he would probably by my 5th choice..... but I would consider it in the first.  I have him graded as a Round 2 guy but I don't mind the Bills going for a guy that I consider a little reach this year.  It is better than consistently punting on QBs.  

What ranking did a qb such as Russell Wilson have in his draft year? Without a doubt ranking is part of the process. But if a fifth ranked qb is attainable while the higher ranked qbs are not then you have to take that qb if your evaluation of him indicates that the player has the ability to be a franchise qb. The notion that a franchise should only take the highest or second highest rated qb is a self-sabotaging notion for a team that perennially has been stuck in the no-man's land of the mediocre middle.  

You and I are in accord on the qb issue. We have been both dancing to the same tune for a long time. It's long past time that this staid and cautious franchise act out of character and be bold. It needs to take the initiative to place itself in a position to come out of this draft with a bona fide qb prospect. My stance on the qb position is that I don't particularly care what round the qb is rated. If you believe that ultimately the prospect has the ability to become a franchise qb then you have to seize the opportunity. The Bills have no excuses this year. They have the draft assets to move up the board. Dithering is not an option. 

20 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Maybe so, but I just prefer a more refined passer

Like Deshaun Watson???

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

What was your view on Deshaun Watson?? Where did you have him graded?? What was Russell Wilson grade?? 

17 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I'll take this years Heisman

Why, because last year's Heisman winner is not good enough??

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Like Deshaun Watson???

What was your view on Deshaun Watson?? Where did you have him graded?? What was Russell Wilson grade?? 

Wilson was before I was doing it. Only been grading since 2014, but I had a mid to high 1st on Deshaun Watson and he was my QB1 in 2017 and that is documented in the archive repeatedly if you want proof. As my QB1 with that grade I made an argument that Cleveland should take him 1st overall and that the Bills should race to the platform if he was there at 10. I was also higher than most on Dak Prescott and had a round 2 grade on him.

I grade where I grade based on the tape. My criteria is consistent. That does not necessarily mean that I think, when it comes to QB particularly, that teams should always stick to their board (much less my board) and I would be fine with the Bills swinging for Jackson in the 1st. He is my QB5 at this point (my process is not complete) but I think the Bills need to stop punting on the position. I had a 3rd on Mahomes last year but I'd have been fine with the Bills picking him at 10 too.... we need to take a Quarterback! 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Wilson was before I was doing it. Only been grading since 2014, but I had a mid to high 1st on Deshaun Watson and he was my QB1 in 2017 and that is documented in the archive repeatedly if you want proof. As my QB1 with that grade I made an argument that Cleveland should take him 1st overall and that the Bills should race to the platform if he was there at 10. I was also higher than most on Dak Prescott and had a round 2 grade on him.

I grade where I grade based on the tape. My criteria is consistent. That does not necessarily mean that I think, when it comes to QB particularly, that teams should always stick to their board (much less my board) and I would be fine with the Bills swinging for Jackson in the 1st. He is my QB5 at this point (my process is not complete) but I think the Bills need to stop punting on the position. I had a 3rd on Mahomes last year but I'd have been fine with the Bills picking him at 10 too.... we need to take a Quarterback! 

Thanks Gunner!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.