Cheap Shot Incident from MNF: Smith-Schuster on Burfict

Fadingpain

59 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just don’t get it. Juju was blocking Burfict on the field of play while he was in pursuit of a runner. Clean hit or not, he was flagged for taunting and I could see a fine. Guys aren’t usually suspended for that kind of block. How the F is in the same suspension category as what Gronk did??? If he gets one Gronk should get 3.

Agreed.  Apples and oranges

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t think I could get any angrier than I was yesterday, but they managed to get me there! Blood pressure rising.

I have been getting angrier and angrier too.  A couple things that have made me angrier since the game.....

1.  Gronk's apology was ridiculous.  Then after he apologizes he is going to appeal the suspension?

2.  Tom Brady saying there is no reason for Gronk to be suspended.

3.  Willie McGinnis on TV saying there is no reason Gronk should be suspended.

4.  Continuing to see Tom Brady yell at Josh McDaniels during the game on TV replays.  One because we have seen this for years and two TV folks keep saying, "look at the passion TB has"

Entitled cry babies.  Pats and their fans are UNreasonable to deal with.

I hate them!

PS.  I do think they are really good too, just hate what they stand for and how they conduct themselves.  They good be this GREAT (and they are) without be unreasonable and entitled

PPS.  Please don't say this and their passion are what makes them great because you can have one without the other.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just wanted to add I struggled making the headline for this thread and agree the hit itself is not what I would call a "cheap shot" per se.  The cheapness came after in the taunting while Burfict was knocked senseless.  That was kind of sickening to see as it unfolded in real time.

You also have to remember, if you didn't watch this game, that a player was carted off earlier after a very long delay seemingly paralyzed from the waist down.

I assumed a lot of people were not watching the game or fell asleep (LOL) by the time this incident unfolded so I thought I would make a thread calling it to your attention, as it is something I would want to know about and explore had I not watched the game.

9 minutes ago, jdonley1180 said:

This is exactly how I feel. I bet the whole WR core for the Steelers would have made that hit with  no regrets at all

JUJU said, after the game, that he did not even know it was Burfict at the time of the big hit.

He also said he should have held back after seeing the replay, and that he screwed up.

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Which is how Gronkowski should be treated in two weeks. Hunt his head. Send him out in an ambulance.

For what it is worth, at least 15 or 20 years ago, Gronk's actions would absolutely be avenged with a similar incident had this occurred in an NHL hockey game. 

I could see someone breaking their stick in half across the back of his head from behind, for example, or something that heinous.  I just think the Gronk incident was really, really vicious and cheap.  It's just another 15 yard UR foul.  

Gronk is a HUGE, strong, heavy man, and you could see that he was filled with rage and anger at the moment he decided to do what he did....and he gave it everything he had.  With that kind of force being delivered to a human, he could have killed the poor guy, paralyzed him for life, broken his neck, who knows what.

And it's worth noting Gronk, as if he needed it, was assisted by that huge frigging elbow pad/brace thing he wears, which only made the whole thing a lot worse.

I will feel better if someone hits him helmet to knee, from the side, and ends his season. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

JUJU said, after the game, that he did not even know it was Burfict at the time of the big hit.

He also said he should have held back after seeing the replay, and that he screwed up.

LOL! What else would he say in front of the cameras? smh

I'm not gonna judge the guy. I hope Hughes decides to let some of his rage out on Gronks knees. Stomp on him Suh style. I mean all I could think was damn, can we borrow this JuJu guy and let him play corner for the Pats game? That's how you deal with dirty piece's of **** like Gronk and Vontaze. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chugga said:

I never like to see anyone get hurt but that hit is one of the many reasons as to why the Steelers are a strong every single year and these bills teams have been pushed around for nearing two decades.

Seemingly every coach we’ve had these last twenty years preaches brotherhood and family but how much does that actually play out on the field.  I’ve never seen a team so undisciplined when it matters but so phenomenally disciplined when someone wrongs one of their teammates and they are so quick to casually ask the ref for help.

It's really mind boggling, isn't it? These guys (the Bills) are grown men, supposedly strong & tough, the best athletes in the world and very competitive, yet their reaction to Tre getting drilled was one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen in 50+ years of watching sports. Hell, when we played youth hockey at the Nike rink in Hamburg back in the day, as 14-16 year olds, WE would have reacted in a much different way than the kitten-like Bills if somebody blind-sided a teammate like that.

Personally, with the incompetent NFL refs, the wild inconsistency in refs' calls week in and week out, AND the corporate office's unequal handling of justice, I think I'm done with the NFL for a while. Looking at all the empty seats in stadiums, I think there are millions like me too. Cincy couldn't even fill their stadium for that game last night with a bitter rival, and their stadium isn't even that large.

I'd bet money Tomlin and the Steelers have talked about and been waiting for the payback opportunity on Burfict ever since his dirty hit on Brown in that playoff game.

I'll bet JuJu got a lot of high fives after the cameras went home.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

JuJu's action was an infraction and part of the game. Gronk's was a crime that really has nothing to do with the game of football.

This right here is the distinction that seperates other illegal hits. Talking heads calling this a 'late hit' are trying to legitimize and sweep under the rug the fact that this was an assault between plays of a football game and not part of the game itself. Scumbag admitted as much himself. This is just pretending it is not true because it can't be, too much money. CTE damaged brains and a carefully crafted insincere response.

8 hours ago, John in Jax said:

It's really mind boggling, isn't it? These guys (the Bills) are grown men, supposedly strong & tough, the best athletes in the world and very competitive, yet their reaction to Tre getting drilled was one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen in 50+ years of watching sports. Hell, when we played youth hockey at the Nike rink in Hamburg back in the day, as 14-16 year olds, WE would have reacted in a much different way than the kitten-like Bills if somebody blind-sided a teammate like that.

Personally, with the incompetent NFL refs, the wild inconsistency in refs' calls week in and week out, AND the corporate office's unequal handling of justice, I think I'm done with the NFL for a while. Looking at all the empty seats in stadiums, I think there are millions like me too. Cincy couldn't even fill their stadium for that game last night with a bitter rival, and their stadium isn't even that large.

I remember watching Chief White Owl with his 'tomahawk chop' wrestle Dominic Dominucci and his sleeper hold. I guarantee there was not hundreds of millions bet on the outcome.;-)

17 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

He was Moving toward his own line (he was at the 50 hit made at the 46 ish (had to come to his OWN end line).  He did approach the player from behind and side.

The only thing in question was where the tackle box was designated (as he was the inside guy in the formation) 

And Landrys hit wasn't legal actually but they missed the call IMO

Landrys hit was not illegal because he was moving forward not peeling back.  They could of called him for the hit to the head, but the hit and the play were all from the front of Williams.

The hit by JuJu was illegal because exactly as you stated he was past the defender and came back upfield (toward his own goal line) to make the hit.  

The hit by JuJu was illegal and correctly called and was taken out to protect defensive players from this exact kind of hit and he will deserve the suspension that will come with it.  

For the guys thinking the players policed themselves - now Cincinnati has players that will want revenge and this is going to get worse.  They need to get the union to get these players to respect each other and stop with the cheap shots and work to increase fines and suspensions before they kill each other for some perceived slight.

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

If JUJU's was suspension worthy because he was coming back upfield then why wasn't this hit flagged, player fined or suspended?

Wel different year. This yar before the season i know there was a point of emphasis this offseason. 

Also add into it that Floyd made contact with correct shoulder in the front as note says. 

Also asd into it Floyd was the outside man at snap. 

Then add into it peel back was not the rule enforced with JJ it was the defensless player rule i mentioned earlier 

then add into it Patriots 

Edited by MAJBobby

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Wel different year. This yar before the season i know there was a point of emphasis this offseason. 

Also add into it that Floyd made contact with correct shoulder in the front as note says. 

Also asd into it Floyd was the outside man at snap. 

Then add into it peel back was not the rule enforced with JJ it was the defensless player rule i mentioned earlier 

then add into it Patriots 

The rule was put in place 4 years ago after the hit Cushing took. They owners voted on it and approved in spring of 2013. 

Floyd also launched which you failed to mention. Edelman also had a clear path to the end zone.

Brown had Dre Kirkpatrick infront of him if I remember the play right. Assume Brown slows down to manuever around the CB and gets blasted by Burfict? The play was very much in doubt and a LB is not defenseless running down the middle of the field. 

JUJU never left his feet. 

Edited by Commonsense