8-8 or 9-7 is pretty impressive.

Rigotz

20 hours ago, buffalostu2 said:

This is the same as giving credit for McD having the guts to start Peterman but not making him responsible for the result.  Only delusional Bills fans can take self inflicted problems and give credit for overcoming them.  All they needed to do was play defense with the current roster and this team was capable of winning 10 games.   Expectations deteriorated because of the moves they made.   How do you give credit for that?      

If you think the ultimate goal is to win 10 games, then you are the problem.

2 hours ago, teef said:

i don't know why people are being so dense about this.  people keep saying we've "replaced" players, when that hasn't been done yet.  this year was a purge year, and the build up begins this off season.  

Keep telling yourself that.  How are the Bills going to replace the players they shed and didn't replace this year when they're undoubtedly going to shed more players in the coming off-season?   They don't have enough draft picks to fill all the holes they created even if every one of their picks is a difference maker, and if they decide to trade up for a QB, they'll have a lot fewer anyways.  They won't add expensive FAs but will round up more career JAGs, STers and PS refugees and call them "quality players".  It's the essence of Jauronball 1.0 just given a shiny new paint job for 2017.

38 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Keep telling yourself that.  How are the Bills going to replace the players they shed and didn't replace this year when they're undoubtedly going to shed more players in the coming off-season?   They don't have enough draft picks to fill all the holes they created even if every one of their picks is a difference maker, and if they decide to trade up for a QB, they'll have a lot fewer anyways.  They won't add expensive FAs but will round up more career JAGs, STers and PS refugees and call them "quality players".  It's the essence of Jauronball 1.0 just given a shiny new paint job for 2017.

you're in no way here to have a conversation.  literally all you do is cry in the worst way.  it's almost like you don't want this team to improve so you can continually bleed your bitter heart out on this board.  jesus.  

no one is saying that this team is going to light it up next year either, but most are expecting to draft and grab a few guys in fa so we can start to see the ultimate plan.  i expect the staff to draft a qb and build the lines.  it will be a young team next year too, and there's going to be growing pains.  you're going to learn to find out how to deal with this, because unless something magical happens, i doubt it's a quick turn around.  that's my  take on it.  i'm sure you won't agree, and will just spit out the same tired nonsense instead of having a normal conversation.  quit being so pathetic.  life is too short.

23 hours ago, Dan said:

Exactly.   They gutted the roster.  So now we should think its good that they got their hand picked, lesser talented guys to perform as well as last year?

Yeah. Honestly yeah.  If they could so easily bring in lesser talented guys and have them produce in the system they run...that shows it's a good system when you really get the right players to fill the roster.  He is building a culture of guys who work hard.  Hyde is easily one of the best free agents the Bills have picked up in years.  The secondary has seen a complete overhaul and looked very impressive when the dline has gotten pressure on the QB.  They have now set themselves up with draft picks  that can make a huge impact on this roster for next season.  Whether they stay and fill their holes or trade up for a QB, it'll really impact the roster.  They also have a nice chunk of change in free agency to work with and find those players that fit the scheme as well as Micah Hyde does in McD's secondary.  

If they go 8-8 or 9-7 this year...yeah we should definitely shocked.  Looking at the talent on the team, they shouldn't have that many wins.  Helps me believe they are a solid coaching staff.  To do that with such little talent...can't wait to see what they can do with a much more talented team next year.  Let's just hope they draft well...we shall see.  Next year could be the turning point if they hit in the draft.  

5 hours ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

8-8ish was the worst possible outcome. 4-12 would have been rough, but at least you don't have to trade up to get your QB and you can fill the various holes to become a real contender. Now we probably lose a few picks to get our guy and pray we land some late round/no name FA gems to fill holes.

Like Matt Milano?

On 12/4/2017 at 12:21 PM, Rigotz said:

No, I'm not being sarcastic.

Last year, we went 7-9.

In the off-season and during 2017, we lost:

-Our three best wide receivers

-Our two best corners

-Our pro-bowl DT

-Two starting linebackers

We gained:

-An unheralded FS and SS (Hyde and Poyer)

-An unheralded CB (Gaines)

-A better kicker (Haushka)

-A great WR for one game (Benjamin) and throw-in (Matthews)

Most of us thought it would be a 4-12 season.

To take that many personnel losses and IMPROVE to 8-8 or 9-7 with a significantly worse roster...

To me, that's impressive.

It says a lot about McD and his staff. They had some turn over but McD has done a amazing job coaching and having these guys ready to play in his 1st year. 

Dont make the same mistake as others before you and get your QB in 2018. If you stay with Taylor your leash will shorten and you will be gone in your 2nd or 3rd year.

Just to try and understand a little better, those that aren't impressed with McDermott or are ready to fire him or think this team is the worst team to ever step on the field in the history of all sports... just what exactly were you expecting for this season? Because based on your comments it's pretty clear that unless these dudes go out and win the Super Bowl right away, you'll consider them complete failures. Clearly hitting the restart button every two years has not worked here. What would your expectations be if McDermott were canned after one year and they did yet another overhaul on the roster and coaching staff?

The point of the post is that in the context of everything that's gone down this year, it is indeed pretty impressive to finish 9-7 or 8-8. Yeah, it's another "stuck in the middle" year but this is after everyone assumed this team was tanking and wouldn't win more than four games this season. The moves they made and the way they geared up for 2018 left a lot of people saying, "It's not really about 2017, it'll probably be a disaster but everyone is gonna get a pass because they are completely overhauling this thing." Instead, they've overachieved which has led to more wins than we expected. Is that supposed to be a bad thing? If you're saying "Yes" because you want them to tank out for a higher draft pick, take a look at the Sabres and tell me how that's worked out for them so far. There is absolutely zero guarantee that any of the top prospects are going to become top NFL players. And what kind of first impression/statement do you make as a first-year and first-time HC if you come in here and say, "Hey look, we're gutting the roster, tearing everything down, going for high picks, so uh, don't try too hard out there. Try real hard not to win, ya know? I mean, risk life and limb and put your body through a beating each week but don't do that in an effort to win because BAGAWD WE GOTS TA HAVE DEM SUPER HIGH DRAFT PICKS!!!"

I dunno, I mean when you go into the season with everyone having super low expectations and then you exceed those expectations early on only to bottom out and have a rough middle of the year yet you're still left with a legitimate chance at the playoffs with four games to go... I'd say that's something to rally around. Where they're at, what they've done and the team they've done it with should instill some confidence for the future. If they can pull off 8-8 or 9-7 with a team full of self-proclaimed misfits, only one real star (McCoy) and an entirely new staff and new schemes then I'm interested/excited to see what they can do going forward after more roster shaping and more experience with this coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Just to try and understand a little better, those that aren't impressed with McDermott or are ready to fire him or think this team is the worst team to ever step on the field in the history of all sports... just what exactly were you expecting for this season? Because based on your comments it's pretty clear that unless these dudes go out and win the Super Bowl right away, you'll consider them complete failures. Clearly hitting the restart button every two years has not worked here. What would your expectations be if McDermott were canned after one year and they did yet another overhaul on the roster and coaching staff?

The point of the post is that in the context of everything that's gone down this year, it is indeed pretty impressive to finish 9-7 or 8-8. Yeah, it's another "stuck in the middle" year but this is after everyone assumed this team was tanking and wouldn't win more than four games this season. The moves they made and the way they geared up for 2018 left a lot of people saying, "It's not really about 2017, it'll probably be a disaster but everyone is gonna get a pass because they are completely overhauling this thing." Instead, they've overachieved which has led to more wins than we expected. Is that supposed to be a bad thing? If you're saying "Yes" because you want them to tank out for a higher draft pick, take a look at the Sabres and tell me how that's worked out for them so far. There is absolutely zero guarantee that any of the top prospects are going to become top NFL players. And what kind of first impression/statement do you make as a first-year and first-time HC if you come in here and say, "Hey look, we're gutting the roster, tearing everything down, going for high picks, so uh, don't try too hard out there. Try real hard not to win, ya know? I mean, risk life and limb and put your body through a beating each week but don't do that in an effort to win because BAGAWD WE GOTS TA HAVE DEM SUPER HIGH DRAFT PICKS!!!"

I dunno, I mean when you go into the season with everyone having super low expectations and then you exceed those expectations early on only to bottom out and have a rough middle of the year yet you're still left with a legitimate chance at the playoffs with four games to go... I'd say that's something to rally around. Where they're at, what they've done and the team they've done it with should instill some confidence for the future. If they can pull off 8-8 or 9-7 with a team full of self-proclaimed misfits, only one real star (McCoy) and an entirely new staff and new schemes then I'm interested/excited to see what they can do going forward after more roster shaping and more experience with this coaching staff.

this is well put.  

I got my entertainment from the team this year. I think most people went in with low expectations. I think we all felt a bit jaded when 5-2 went straight downhill. Coach made some bold moves with the roster. Even starting a rookie QB to see if he could get the offense clicking. In the end we landed in about the same area in the win loss category. 

The only difference is next year they have more rescource available to to build a team. Rescource they will have because they sacrificed some this year. I still watch the games cheer my team on when they do good and join in the disappointment when they lose. 

My year was over when they lost to the Jets. I didn't see them making the playoffs getting stomped so hard. Even if the defense didn't regress some for that 3 game stretch I would of always carried doubt about the offense. 

I am already on to next year but I'll still view every game and cheer and feel disappointed. This is my team and always will be. I'll be here through every success and blunder. I have hope for the new regime and the future but I'm realistic. 

I'm actually one of those guys that would rather have average then complete suck.

Edited by Lfod

Taking a line from Darcy Regeir I was expecting a little pain this year but we are outperforming my expectations. The only problem is it would have been nice to snag a QB with a top 5 draft pick. The constant floating around .500 seasons have been arguably one of the biggest factors in keeping this drought going.

35 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

it is a microwave society   BL 

people want stuff right now!! and have zero patience    

We were blinded by the light,

Some all-hot half-shot was headin' for the hot spot, snappin' his fingers, clappin' his hands

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:51 PM, Sweats said:

I'm fairly certain that "8-8 or 9-7" has been the Bills motto over the past 17 yrs.

Not really.  Since our last playoff game the Bills achieved 8-8 or 9-7 only 5 times in 17 years.  Our average record over the last 17 years is actually 6-10 or 7-9.  Not that it really makes a difference.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

it is a microwave society   BL 

people want stuff right now!! and have zero patience    

We were blinded by the light,

Some all-hot half-shot was headin' for the hot spot, snappin' his fingers, clappin' his hands

"Zero patience"?  With a team that hasn't managed to get into the post season in 17 years?  With a team with exactly 2 winning seasons in those 17 years?   The Bills have been perpetually "rebuilding" since 2001 ... and they are have gotten nowhere.   I'm not impressed by Jauronball 2.0, however much you think it will be solved by dispensing with Tyrod Taylor and replacing him with a rookie QB.

To Bills fans, anything from 0-16 to 10-6 (but no playoffs) is the same...garbage.

31 minutes ago, SoTier said:

"Zero patience"?  With a team that hasn't managed to get into the post season in 17 years?  With a team with exactly 2 winning seasons in those 17 years?   The Bills have been perpetually "rebuilding" since 2001 ... and they are have gotten nowhere.   I'm not impressed by Jauronball 2.0, however much you think it will be solved by dispensing with Tyrod Taylor and replacing him with a rookie QB.

Well huffing and puffing over it won't make the playoffs come any sooner. So you either wait or give up.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, teef said:

you're in no way here to have a conversation.  literally all you do is cry in the worst way.  it's almost like you don't want this team to improve so you can continually bleed your bitter heart out on this board.  jesus.  

no one is saying that this team is going to light it up next year either, but most are expecting to draft and grab a few guys in fa so we can start to see the ultimate plan.  i expect the staff to draft a qb and build the lines.  it will be a young team next year too, and there's going to be growing pains.  you're going to learn to find out how to deal with this, because unless something magical happens, i doubt it's a quick turn around.  that's my  take on it.  i'm sure you won't agree, and will just spit out the same tired nonsense instead of having a normal conversation.  quit being so pathetic.  life is too short.

This! Thanks teef.

51 minutes ago, SoTier said:

How much has changed in the last 5 years?

It’s Reboot time and we should shelf the Ralph and co failures with that of the Pegulas.  

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Not really.  Since our last playoff game the Bills achieved 8-8 or 9-7 only 5 times in 17 years.  Our average record over the last 17 years is actually 6-10 or 7-9.  Not that it really makes a difference.

Good point, but i was going for mediocrity here............and nothing says mediocre quite like the Bills the past 17 yrs.