No, I'm not being sarcastic.

Last year, we went 7-9.

In the off-season and during 2017, we lost:

-Our three best wide receivers

-Our two best corners

-Our pro-bowl DT

-Two starting linebackers

We gained:

-An unheralded FS and SS (Hyde and Poyer)

-An unheralded CB (Gaines)

-A better kicker (Haushka)

-A great WR for one game (Benjamin) and throw-in (Matthews)

Most of us thought it would be a 4-12 season.

To take that many personnel losses and IMPROVE to 8-8 or 9-7 with a significantly worse roster...

To me, that's impressive.

On the one hand, there's not a lot of talent on this team.  Shady's our only true star.  Most of our players are jags.  We probably don't have average talent so to finish with an average record (8-8) would be an accomplishment.  

On the other hand, Rico ruined this offense.  Last year we had a flawed QB, patched together receiving corps, and an offensive line that struggled in pass pro.  We still scored a lot of points.  This year, with many of the same guys (WRs are different but not much better or worse), we can't score.  

I'm interested in seeing what corrective actions Beane and McD take in the offseason.  Both have work to do.

It would be the worst case scenario to get one of those records and miss the playoffs. Would just mess up their draft spot.

Unless they look like they are improving as a team and dominate those 3 games to get them to 9 wins, there is no point of winning. 

I don't need to see them get 4 turnovers against mediocre teams and squeak out wins. That would show me nothing going into next year.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is my very simple ranking of what I want our final record to be... ranked in order of #1 (what I want most) to #4 (what I want least... which will be 2 records and might be the most likely, unfortunately):

#1 - 10-6   I think this is incredibly unlikely because Buffalo would have to win their remaining games and win a game in NE.  Regardless of anyone arguing we should lose out for a draft pick, finishing the season with 4 wins and a win in NE and ending our playoff drought is the best possible scenario.  We'll still have what looks like a climbing 1st round pick from KC to trade up to get one of the top 2 or 3 QBs.

#2- 6-10  If we lose against Indy this Sunday, I hope we lose the rest of our games.  Best possible draft pick and trade up for one of the top 2 QBs.

#3  9-7   I'm not going to be overly upset with a 9-7 season.  It'd be pretty impressive given this roster.  I don't think we make the playoffs because of tiebreakers, but there's an outside chance.

#4  8-8  or 7-9  Either of these are worst possible scenarios.

32 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They created the lack of talent.

its ok to envolve. Before the season, 8-8 and 9-7 might have looked good.  But so did teams like the Bucs and Broncos.  The AFC sucks.  Sammy Watkins wasn't able to be replaced by Matthews or Benjamin. Dareus would have helped a playoff run more than a 6th rounder.  SM benching TT was the single dumbest coaching decision of the season.

color me unimpressed with Dick Jauron Jr.  his clapping game is on point though.

I'm pretty sure by season's end Matthews will have eclipsed Watkins' 2016 stats. 

My brother passed away a couple of weeks ago, after a sudden illness. He was as big a Bills fan as I have ever known...in our last conversation he advised me "don't waste too much time on the Bills...I'd kill to have all those wasted Sundays back" 

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

On the one hand, there's not a lot of talent on this team.  Shady's our only true star.  Most of our players are jags.  We probably don't have average talent so to finish with an average record (8-8) would be an accomplishment.  

On the other hand, Rico ruined this offense.  Last year we had a flawed QB, patched together receiving corps, and an offensive line that struggled in pass pro.  We still scored a lot of points.  This year, with many of the same guys (WRs are different but not much better or worse), we can't score.  

I'm interested in seeing what corrective actions Beane and McD take in the offseason.  Both have work to do.

Two key differences from last year.  No, this year's WRs are much worse that last year.  Watkins when healthy.  Woods all the time (look what he's done this year).  Even Goodwin who could take the top off the defense.  This year, no speed, no quickness, no separation.  Jones could turn out OK if we get a real #1 (Benjamin if healthy is a #1A, not a true #1).

And, the O line which had really good play from Incognito and Wood, and from Glenn a lot, has fallen down.  Glenn's been hurt a lot.  Incognito and Wood -- are they getting old (yes of course) or do they really miss their O line coach?  And Mills and Ducasse, geez louise they're bad. 

Plus Rico.  He knows one song and he keeps playing it even though the band's all wrong, so I'm not letting him off the hook at all.  It's just a disaster all around.  Despite all the changes and losses, we end up with an average defense, which would have been adequate last year, but a way below average offense which prevented the playoffs.

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sorry, but only a Bills fan beaten down by 18 years if ineptitude would say something like this.

8-8/9-7 is pathetic. Either make the playoffs or get a Top 3 pick in the draft. Anything in between is just a waste of all our time, money, and energy.

Yup.  There was some BS that these guys had a plan. They didn't.  They either should have let Tyrod walk or kept an offense and players to make him successful.

now, we going to have 2 mid to late 1st rounders and struggle to get a top qb.  Rinse and repeat.

Rigotz, I agree. To renovate the house, you have to tear down a bit before you can rebuild. The "house" after Rex got through was a mess! (Thanks Pagulas)

I, and a lot of others on this board, were not predicting this team to get 6 wins (I had them at 3 to 5 wins). Now, they have a good shot at 8-8 or 9-7. Not a bad

foundation from which to build on, as well as the number of picks in rounds 1 thru 3. It's a good foundation in which to build on. With that, I was surprised to

see the number of people yesterday who were so angry that we lost to the Pats. Really? The Pats, who have reeled off 9 straight wins? Really? 

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

No, I'm not being sarcastic.

Last year, we went 7-9.

In the off-season and during 2017, we lost:

-Our three best wide receivers

-Our two best corners

-Our pro-bowl DT

-Two starting linebackers

We gained:

-An unheralded FS and SS (Hyde and Poyer)

-An unheralded CB (Gaines)

-A better kicker (Haushka)

-A great WR for one game (Benjamin) and throw-in (Matthews)

Most of us thought it would be a 4-12 season.

To take that many personnel losses and IMPROVE to 8-8 or 9-7 with a significantly worse roster...

To me, that's impressive.

While I don't disagree, you do have to take into consideration that a lot of these are self inflicted losses and holes. 

Do they get credit for being better for limping through with self-inflicted wounds?

This regime lost me for good when they had Eric Lee on the practice squad and the Pats took him  on Nov.11.

All over the field yesterday including the Bills backfield and the National announcers wondered if he has

enough snaps to get him to the Pro Bowl.

They were supposed to hire the GM who hires the Coach, but Ownership hired the Coach who hired the GM

who has not spoken on the state of the team all year long.

Ryan a D Coach and McDermott another D Coach.

I don't think Ownership and Management would know talent if it hit them in the face on the way out the door.

Is ownership getting a pass with the Sabres like they are getting with the Bills? 

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

While I don't disagree, you do have to take into consideration that a lot of these are self inflicted losses and holes. 

Do they get credit for being better for limping through with self-inflicted wounds?

No offense against Carolina, very little offense against Cincy, very little offense against NYJ #2,  no offense against the Saints, just enough offense against  the Chiefs. 

The Defense did their part early on, the Offense was pisspoor.   

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No offense against Carolina, very little offense against Cincy, very little offense against NYJ #2,  no offense against the Saints, just enough offense against  the Chiefs. 

The Defense did their part early on, the Offense was pisspoor.   

I don't know what you are talking about, this isn't on topic with the OP and my comments on the OP. 

There’s a good foundation here. Next step is hitting on those draft picks next year. I like what McDermott has done, outside of a crazy 3 game slide we have been in every single game this year. I think what happened there is we traded Dareus and it took them 3 games to fix the defense around him but it looks like they’ve managed it. I do worry about Dennison though, he took a good offense, not great but good, and made it bad. Best rush offense in the league to one of the worst with no personnel changes is very troubling and reminiscent of what Rex did to the defense. If we get a new OC next year I’ll feel very comfortable with this regime moving forward.

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don't know what you are talking about, this isn't on topic with the OP and my comments on the OP. 

Let me put the pieces together for you.   

TT's output this season has been more bad that good. result - unimpressed 

I'd have been impressed had they cut TT a long time ago.  :thumbsup:

To your comment -  Injuries are part of the game and should not be an excuse.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, teef said:

you're not.  you're giving them credit for what they've done with the lack of talent on the roster.  i know they caused it, but again, this team is going to look very different next year. 

i certainly wouldn't have thought this team could win 8/9 games this year.

This is the same as giving credit for McD having the guts to start Peterman but not making him responsible for the result.  Only delusional Bills fans can take self inflicted problems and give credit for overcoming them.  All they needed to do was play defense with the current roster and this team was capable of winning 10 games.   Expectations deteriorated because of the moves they made.   How do you give credit for that?      

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffalostu2 said:

This is the same as giving credit for McD having the guts to start Peterman but not making him responsible for the result.  Only delusional Bills fans can take self inflicted problems and give credit for overcoming them.  All they needed to do was play defense with the current roster and this team was capable of winning 10 games.   Expectations deteriorated because of the moves they made.   How do you give credit for that?      

We have seen VERY little to suggest that TT would have won the Chargers game.   it is Pure Speculation. 

that said.  McD kept a Loss off of TT's resume