All 3 former Bills coaches now division co-leaders

Foreigner

16 minutes ago, familykwi said:

I don't believe Happy Meals are a part of the breakfast menu.  Sigh :(

Whaaaaaat?  No Happy Meals on the Breakfast menu?  Somebody needs to call Trump, that's Unconstitutional.

Taco Bell lets you order the full menu at 9AM, because nothing starts the day like a Triple Decker Super Loaded Baja Extra Cheesy Cruncharito with 3 packets for Diablo sauce

16 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

McDermott should take notice and walk away after this season.

That's probably the best and only reason to keep McDermott by the time the season ends. It's an unfortunate catch 22. You want to get rid of the guy because he sucks and you have no faith in his process but if you get rid of him you won't be able to get a good coach. Got to swallow the pill and ride it out for one more year at least. 

Define "good coach".  If you mean a HC with the reputation of being a good HC around the league and a winning record elsewhere in the NFL (like an Andy Reid or John Fox) before the Bills hired him, you have to go back 39 years to the hiring of Chuck Knox in 1978.   Since then the Bills have hired either retreads (Levy, Phillips, Jauron, Ryan) or NFL neophytes (Stephenson, Bullough, Williams, Mularkey, Marrone, McDermott).  Gailey actually had a winning record as an NFL HC in Dallas but he had been coaching in the college ranks for more than a decade when the Bills hired him, so he wasn't quite a retread but also not quite a newbie, either.  He certainly didn't have the reputation of being a good coach around the NFL at the time he was hired.  The only two who worked out were Levy and Phillips, and only Phillips had success both before and after he left the Bills, although he's probably best as a DC rather than a HC. 

Mularkey, Marrone, and Lynn seem poised to create a new category of Bills HC --  the good ones the Bills let get away.  

7 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

The best thing Lynn did was to hire Whisenhunt and Gus Bradley as his coordinators. Mike McCoy had rivers for a bunch of years and did nothing.

Lynn has done a nice job so far, especially by hiring 2 experienced coordinators

I would much rather have Lynn/Whisenhunt/Bradley than Mcd/Dennison/Frazier

Good leaders pick good subordinates and let them do their jobs.

Edited by SoTier

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Exactly...it was underachieving and has been...Jacksonville was supposed to be what they are this year for the last 2 or 3 years now...

Well, that was before Marrone showed up---and before people realized Bortles was kind of a bust.

Marrone's impact is legit', have to admit.

Edited by Mr. WEO

7 hours ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Who knew Mcvay would of been the right coach to hire. Making Goff look good after how terrible he was last year. Mcvay is calling the audibles in his headset. Sean is getting praise all across the league for his fresh take on offense. In Buffalo we often focus on getting a defensive minded coach that gets an offensive coordinator that focuses on the running game partially because our qb's have sucked since the short time we had Bledsoe. 

We need to get a young fresh offensive mind that can mold our rookie QB next year and grow with him and mold him into what we want. I hope from there McDermott can right the ship on defense and go from there. Our old retread coaches and coordinators sans Marrone will all wash out eventually. Even though I thought Lynn has a chance to be decent. 

Exactly! This is what people need to understand. These offensive coordinators are working with some pretty hot garbage when they come here, and they sugar coat it to the fans and media by saying they're running a "run-first" offense as if it's by choice. We run to try to cover up our deficiencies at the QB position. Sometimes the play calling appears weak because they're trying to figure out different ways to run the ball over & over & over until they find a weakness. Almost every team in the league with a bad QB says they're trying to win with defense & running the ball. It's not a coincidence.

Looking at the teams leading their divisions, which ones are "run-first" teams trying to pound the ball the majority of the time, who only pass when necessary? Rams? They have Gurley, but he's not the focal point anymore. He's the beneficiary of a suddenly good passing game. He has 939 yards, 4.2 ypc, & 8 TD's on the year already, up from 885 yards, 3.2 ypc, & 6 TDs all of last year. The Saints? Their run game has certainly stepped up, but they're a very balanced team. Brees already has 1,200 more yards passing than Tyrod, while their run game is benefiting tremendously. Even the Steelers with Bell rely on the pass just as much, if not more than the run game.

A good QB would actually help our run game a TON, as well as the obvious in improving our 30th ranked passing game.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, that was before Marrone showed up---and before people realized Bortles was kind of a bust.

Marrone's impact is legit', have to admit.

Well...let's see what happens in year 2 when his offfensive line he spends so much time with turns into a dumpster fire like it did here.

He is a good coach, but he is a jackass. I get a feeling his team will not do well in the playoffs.

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

Mularkey, Marrone, and Lynn seem poised to create a new category of Bills HC --  the good ones the Bills let get away.  

I'd cut the Bills slack with Mularkey. It was well over a decade ago when he coached here. He's bounced around quite a bit since then and it looks like only now he might actually make the playoffs in a weak division. Both the Jags and Texans are lucky the rookie in Houston got injured. 

Just relax. 

The Jags are 8-4 and Marrone might have the #1 defense which he inherited from ex-Seahawk DC Gus Bradley. (Perry Fewell is their DB's coach) They will probably lose their DC this offseason. While Saint Doug does have Tom Coughlin guiding him...he still has Nate Hackett as his OC. As long as Hackett is his OC I don't see that Jags offense doing all that much. They have the #1 rushing attack and #24th passing attack. 

The Titans 8-4 under Mike Mularkey are very similar to the Jags in that they have a good running game and not so great passing attack even with Mariota at QB. they are sorta middling on both sides of the ball with Dick LeBeau as their DC. 

Would either of these teams be as good this season if Andrew Luck was healthy and the Colts had a decent HC or if the Texans hadn't lost Deshaun Watson for the season?

The Chargers are 6-6 and in the running because the Chiefs have been falling on their face. QB Phillip Rivers is doing well and just look at Alynns assistants, Ken Whisenhunt is his OC and Gus Bradley is the DC. The raiders are also 6-6 as are the Chiefs and their next two games are the Raiders, Chargers. 

The Buffalo Bills are 6-6 and Tom Brady is another year older. Give McD some time to bring in a QB and some defensive players to fit his scheme. I know I didn't expect the Bills to have a shot at the playoffs in their first year under a new HC considering what the man inherited from Wrex Ryan and Doug highlight film. 

On 12/4/2017 at 12:34 AM, Foreigner said:

Tennessee and Jacksonville tied for the AFC South lead, and the LA Chargers tied for

the lead in the AFC West  today.

All Coached by former Bills Coaches who either weren't good enough here or had to get

away from this organization. I!m not smart enough to know what that means, maybe

others can tell me. 

It means insert gun in mouth. Pull trigger.

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Just relax. 

The Jags are 8-4 and Marrone might have the #1 defense which he inherited from ex-Seahawk DC Gus Bradley. (Perry Fewell is their DB's coach) They will probably lose their DC this offseason.

This isn't close to being true.  Last year, the Jags D was 25th in point surrendered.  In the other Bradley years before that they were 31, 26 and 28th.  Now they are #1.

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'd cut the Bills slack with Mularkey. It was well over a decade ago when he coached here. He's bounced around quite a bit since then and it looks like only now he might actually make the playoffs in a weak division. Both the Jags and Texans are lucky the rookie in Houston got injured. 

I'm done "cutting the Bills slack" about anything.   The supposed purpose of an NFL team is to win football games, but that obviously isn't what the Bills are interested in.  If it was, the best Bills players wouldn't be scattered around the NFL on teams going to the playoffs while the Bills are loaded down with JAGs, career STers, and PS refugees yet again.

Since the Drought started, if you include Wade Phillips (he coached 1 year during the Drought), the Bills haven't really suffered from bad coaching except for Jauron and Ryan.  Phillips has been successful as a HC and even more successful as a DC, and Gregg Williams went to win a Super Bowl as New Orleans' DC.  Mularkey, Marrone, and now Lynn appear to be solid NFL HCs ...  Chan Gailey, like the others, didn't do a bad job as a HC but he was hampered by his team's lack of talent.  

Fans like to scapegoat coaches for the team's failures, but I think the Bills' problems go higher up the corporate food chain.  Too many bean-counting accountants with other agendas than winning football games have made -- and continue to make IMO -- too many key decisions that impact whether the Bills have the talent to win football games no matter who their coaches are.

So, Mike Mularkey stays on the list of the coaches that got away, just like Antoine Winfield is the first name on the list of outstanding players that the Bills let get away even if he left more than a dozen years ago. 

On 12/4/2017 at 12:34 AM, Foreigner said:

Tennessee and Jacksonville tied for the AFC South lead, and the LA Chargers tied for

the lead in the AFC West  today.

All Coached by former Bills Coaches who either weren't good enough here or had to get

away from this organization. I!m not smart enough to know what that means, maybe

others can tell me. 

They got away from you? Only conclusion I can make since each case is different.

On 12/4/2017 at 4:20 PM, Foreigner said:

This thread is not about strong or weak divisions and not about QBs. It is about the fact that these three

coaches were hired again once they were gone from Buffalo. People believed in these guys, and they are

having success. The question is why did they fail here, and were given another chance

I think the answer is complex with various reasons. You can say Ownership, GMs, money, talent, experience

or whatever. You can even say our coach is having success at 6-6. I disagree but see the other viewpoint.

The point is the three are doing well, and we are going on eighteen years of not doing well. Something, or

some things are wrong here and we are never are able to fix it.

The reason they failed here? two of them failed because they had to work for Ralph Wilson...easily in the top five of worst owners in NFL history, and quit.

The reason we're never able to fix **** is because we keep CHANGING ****.

People get all whiny, and like it or not the people who run the show hear what their customers have to say.

On 12/4/2017 at 1:51 AM, Ol Dirty B said:

There's only 32 jobs and no one is hiring with Brady at QB. I think the argument is over played. And I wouldn't say people are going through mental gymnastics. They've made a lot of questionable decsions. I'll try to do it in order.

1) Keeping Tyrod

2) Hiring Dennison and implementing a scheme that doesn't suit Tyrod or the O-line as it is constructed.

3) Convincing Kyle to come back ( to be continued)

4) Signing Anquan and selling him, as they did on KW to win now and compete. Mentor younger players.

5) Trade Sammy just days after completing move 4. This probably causes Anquan to retire.

6)Trading Dareus, so now you have to really rely on Kyle to produce. 

7) Trading for Benjamin because we now are short at WR. A WR who btw was never going to mesh with Tyrod's skill set. (Btw, how did we end up so short WR?)

8) Somehow thinking Peterman is capable to start when he was so obviously not.

They've made plenty of decisions over the course of a year that just do not go together and you have people calling this a plan.

I don't think I did any mental gymnastics. It's just we have two morons running the franchise, once again. Again, you only have 32 of these jobs and they are always picking at the bottom of the barrel.

Tyrod fan here and/so/but if #1 and #2 go together, agree.

Offense with Tyrod was Top 10 until Dennison effed it up and they purged all the good (however fragile) stars.

Tyrod and the Lynn/Roman Offense won 8 games with ****ty D and - for roughly half the weeks - a WR corps void of anything but practice squad players.

On 12/3/2017 at 11:38 PM, Captain Murica said:

This is awesome. I cannot wait to wake up, and eat sadness for breakfast. Hopefully it comes with a side of “swift kick in the nuts”, gotta get the blood going in the AM.

LMAO !!   :lol:

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Admit it. 

Marrones a good head coach.... and your wrong. We didn't have a defense before he became head coach. We had Dave "fits" Wannstedt.

Bortles is a franchise QB? 

I was talking about with Jax.  And maybe franchise is overstating it, but again, I'd take him over Tyrod.

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Bortles in this offense? ?

He would be worse then TT. Amazing what a ****ty OC, unnecessary personnel and scheme change can do to a QB/offense.

No, he'd be better than TT.  And the Jags are winning thanks to defense.  Which has nothing to do with Marrone.