Arkansas Coaching search

Cynical

Is this the next SEC dumpster fire?

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/report-arkansas-two-coaching-search-groups-one-still-targeting-auburns-gus-malzahn

According to Scott Roussel of Football Scoop, the Razorbacks have “two separate [and potentially unconnected] searches” for a coach taking place, each of which appear to have different targets.

11 minutes ago, Acantha said:

I just can't see Auburn letting Malzahn go.  You have to pony up whatever it takes to keep the guy that can beat Saban. 

First, define "beat".

Right now Gus is 2-3 vs Bama and 2-3 vs UGA. That will not suffice in Auburn land. Winning these 2 games on consistent basis is a must for the AU coach.

If Auburn can't beat UGA in the SECCG, things will get dicey at AU.

The AU athletic dept is in turmoil with scandals rocking the mens BB and womens SB programs, and Jay Jacobs stepping down.

Rumors are swirling the womens BB could also be in trouble.

Not to mention Gus lost a power struggle at the end of last season. I could see him bolt if AU loses to UGA.

2 hours ago, Cynical said:

First, define "beat".

Right now Gus is 2-3 vs Bama and 2-3 vs UGA. That will not suffice in Auburn land. Winning these 2 games on consistent basis is a must for the AU coach.

If Auburn can't beat UGA in the SECCG, things will get dicey at AU.

The AU athletic dept is in turmoil with scandals rocking the mens BB and womens SB programs, and Jay Jacobs stepping down.

Rumors are swirling the womens BB could also be in trouble.

Not to mention Gus lost a power struggle at the end of last season. I could see him bolt if AU loses to UGA.

They seem to play worse against UGA for some reason.  Unfortunately (for me and everyone else, not you of course), Alabama is just a juggernaut with so much momentum it's going to take a long time to slow them down (or a sudden Saban retirement, which would be nice). 

I can't say I know the nitty gritty about either team, but Auburn is overwhelmingly outmatched in those games yet has managed two wins.  They had a couple bigger losses too, but overall I think they've played as well as can be expected.  I didn't think much of the hire at the time, but he's exceeded my expectations, and I doubt they'll get better if he leaves.

He may WANT to go to AU, and if that's the case money may not matter to him, but if I'm Auburn I do what it takes to keep him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.