Conference Championship Weekend

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Then why did non division winner Ohio State make the playoff last season over B1G champion Penn St?

Shhhhh, people don’t want to remember what happened 12 months ago. Even Saban is contradicting himself. 

To me me it is a toss up for the fourth spot. I am saying this not being a fan of OSU and being and SEC guy. I also am expecting a slight shake up in the order of the predicted 1-3 teams of Clemson, Okla, and UGA. 

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

We all know the reason.  But, you don't like the answer.  So, I will just leave it be.

:P:D

So you don't agree that the current committee selection process is more subjective than objective?

Should the only remaining undefeated FCS team have a seat at the table?

2 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

So you don't agree that the current committee selection process is more subjective than objective?

Should the only remaining undefeated FCS team have a seat at the table?

Yeah.  It's all a joke.

Throw those undefeated teams to wolves... Only way to make them better!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

17 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Then why did non division winner Ohio State make the playoff last season over B1G champion Penn St?

OSU finished with 3 top 10 wins last season including a road victory over Big 12 champ Oklahoma. If Bama had something close to that resume this year, this wouldn’t even be a debate. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

OSU finished with 3 top 10 wins last season including a road victory over Big 12 champ Oklahoma. If Bama had something close to that resume this year, this wouldn’t even be a debate. 

If it keeps Alabama out then I am all for it. I hate those :censored:

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

If it keeps Alabama out then I am all for it. I hate those :censored:

Until last year I would have been in total agreement with you.  But the way the committee screwed Penn St last year to get their poodle Urban Meyer into the dance, they lost credibility.

Now we get to watch them jump thru logical and rhetorical hurdles as they contradict their own precedent.

2 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Until last year I would have been in total agreement with you.  But the way the committee screwed Penn St last year to get their poodle Urban Meyer into the dance, they lost credibility.

Now we get to watch them jump thru logical and rhetorical hurdles as they contradict their own precedent.

They are actually two different scenarios due to Bama’s lack of SOS and top 10 wins. Now, they could massage that by saying Bama beat FSU when they were ranked 3 week 1, but even without Francois getting hurt that team was a train wreck all year. They may get some but not full credit. Their win vs Fresno st also doesn’t look as good after they lost yesterday (and lost to unlv who OSU beat by 100)

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They got smeared by Iowa and Kirk Ferentz who always plays down to teams, keeps it fair and clean and never steps on any team's throats.

Sorry, I invoke:

"Iowa Rule"

You're out!

They lost to WI only by 6 and WI had final drive.

He gone!

5 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I don't disagree, and yet we only have to look at last year.  

If the goal is to get the 4 best teams then Alabama goes. I'd give them 7 wins out of 10 against OSU on a neutral field. What hurts Alabama is the lack of a "signature" win in 2016.

That's bullsh--.  'Best' is completely subjective and we have no idea who beats who until they play.  Most deserving is the standard we should be striving for and teams who don't even qualify for their conference championship game are not deserving.   Also, Alabama didn't beat a single team of consequence this season.   They shouldn't get an automatic playoff bid every year based solely on reputation.

57 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I don't recall;  I hate OSU so doubt I was arguing for that.  Maybe people were still pissed about that whole child molestation thing.  

btw, are we also putting Wisconsin in the playoff too since they only lost one game and that seems to be the standard this year?

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

That's bullsh--.  'Best' is completely subjective and we have no idea who beats who until they play.  Most deserving is the standard we should be striving for and teams who don't even qualify for their conference championship game are not deserving.   Also, Alabama didn't beat a single team of consequence this season.   They shouldn't get an automatic playoff bid every year based solely on reputation.

I don't recall;  I hate OSU so doubt I was arguing for that.  Maybe people were still pissed about that whole child molestation thing.  

btw, are we also putting Wisconsin in the playoff too since they only lost one game and that seems to be the standard this year?

See above on OSU 2016. They had only 1 loss to the eventual big 10 champ on the road in OT, 3 top 10 wins including a road win vs big 12 champ Oklahoma. PSU had two losses, one was Iowa-like vs Michigan 49-10. Conf champ didn’t matter in that case and head to head isn’t in tiebreaker criteria.

14 hours ago, /dev/null said:

refs let Ohio St get away with a defensive hold there but still called Wisconsin for offensive holding

This might have been one of the plays of the game, Refs call a justifiable holding call on the Wisconsin O line but miss completely a defensive holding PI on Ohio which was blatantly obvious. Wisconsin never recovered from the Penalty. too much yardage to make up.

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

bull **** seems a bit harsh. I said I think they are the better team and would win 7 of 10 from Ohio State. In my mind they are the better team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.