Why is Josh Allen loved by Scouts?

Dkollidas

Everywhere I read, he’s still being projected as a 1st Round QB.

I also see a lot of people, like Kiper for instance state that he’ll be more liked by scouts than fans.

Is it mostly because he has great measurables, and will therefore be liked by scouts, who typically focus on the measurables, as opposed to intangibles? 

Or is it just a fact fact that the mocks haven’t caught up to the current progression of his season, which has been a pretty rough year for the guy?

They see a big physical player, with an elite arm, that has played in a pro style system. His ceiling is really high. His floor is pretty low though IMO. 

Fans arent as warm on him because they they don’t see a lot of him. Fans always like the guys at the big programs that they see a lot of. The casual fan has seen a lot more of Baker Mayfield than they have Josh Allen.

When I see him throw, he doesn't seem so inaccurate as the stats would suggest.  He takes a fair bit of shots down field that go for incompletions.  Conversely, EJ Manual couldn't hit a 5 yard pass but had 68% completions in his final year in college.  Stats don't always tell the full story.

To his credit, he has been playing with a sprained AC joint in his throwing shoulder, his offensive line is horrible, and he has no weapons.  Too bad he won't be able to participate in the Senior Bowl.  I'd love to see him with some talent around him.  As a NFL prospect...I'm just not sure about him but I am intrigued.

Same reason they loved Christian Hackenberg.  Same reason everyone seems to love Clayton Thorson all the sudden.   They are big and have live arms.   I will say this for Allen, his arm is something to behold.   I honestly don't think I've seen anything like it.  Problem is the ball goes to the wrong team too much.

I dont buy the bad team no weapons business.   Plenty of college quarterbacks have played on bad teams and found ways to muster more than 96 yards passing against teams with terrible defenses, I am referencing the Oregon game here.   Allen is physically gifted but when things start to go south for him they end up a tire fire really quick.   He needs to stay in school. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The reasons scouts love him are as Kirby says above.  The reason I really don't is his accuracy... or lack thereof.... scares the living daylights out of me.  

I caught one game early in the season, and he reminded me of EJ having a bad day. Balls all over the place on simple throws. I never made a point of watching another game, so it could have been just a small sample size. But I doubt it...

5 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

When I see him throw, he doesn't seem so inaccurate as the stats would suggest.  He takes a fair bit of shots down field that go for incompletions.  Conversely, EJ Manual couldn't hit a 5 yard pass but had 68% completions in his final year in college.  Stats don't always tell the full story.

He seems more inaccurate than the stats when I watch him. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He seems more inaccurate than the stats when I watch him. 

I only saw one game early in the season, and outside of that have only watched game highlights (from this season).  So far, I haven't seen anything outside of physical tools that makes me think he should be a first round pick.  I don't get it and usually just assume I'm in the dark on what makes him so well thought of since I don't see much of his actual play.

He went from overrated to underrated. His team is very bad around him this year but he did very well last year when he had some decent players. His arm and mobility are great, but he is a guy that will need some time to get better before being able to play.

I don’t think he is Carson Wentz, but he may be Joe Flacco. He has the arm and size to play in Buffalo if we decide to wait and draft a QB without trading up.

Because he is built like a prototype QB.

He is big, athletic with a strong arm.

But he is no where close to being Big Ben or Carson Wentz imo 

he stuggles with decision making and accuracy. He throws some nice balls and looks the part but he needs another year of college 

hes not ready

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:13 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

To his credit, he has been playing with a sprained AC joint in his throwing shoulder, his offensive line is horrible, and he has no weapons.  Too bad he won't be able to participate in the Senior Bowl.  I'd love to see him with some talent around him.  As a NFL prospect...I'm just not sure about him but I am intrigued.

My bosses son actually goes to Wyoming.  My boss was telling me that he was home for Thanksgiving and he was telling my boss the same thing, saying he has absolutely nothing to work with(horrible line, horrible receivers, some which are actually walk ons.)  Said Wyoming would not of won a game all year if it was not for Allen.   

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, it's pretty much been said already but the reason he remains on the radar of many teams and still receives praise from scouts is because there are a lot of things there to work with. Teams see a QB with all the physical tools, some intangibles, etc.  Some feel like he could be the next Wentz, and I think that comparison comes into play simply because they're both dudes who went to smaller schools, didn't have many big time scholarship offers, etc. Happens every year, there will be a team out there that loves his skill set and believes they have/will have the right coaching in place to mold him into a franchise guy. By all accounts his character is very good as well, good team leader and he's got the work ethic teams want in their QB. With intangibles like that, teams will look past his flaws and say they can fix them. And it certainly seems like the guy is driven to be the best he can be. The stats don't look great this year but he hasn't had a lot to work with. It'll be interesting to see where he winds up.

Edited by blacklabel
phrasing

Rosen

Rudolph

Allen

In that order.  Not interested in any other QB in the draft.  Allen has all the tools, but nothing around him.  He has a 56% completion for his collegiate career.  Matt Ryan's was 59.9%.  How's his NFL accuracy?

As stated earlier in the thread, stats don't tell the whole story.  If they did, Colt Brennan and a host of other college greats would be Hall of Famers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.