The death of the Buffalo Bills Message Board - how did it happen?

BuffaloRush

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...being in the .5% negative percentile, I vow to try much harder.............

I'll let you know when you're slipping up. 

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There was a lot more thread changing over there. The same threads will stay on page 1 here for days. Over there you would be lucky to get a full day of the same idea on page 1. The news seemed to flow in a lot more frequently over there as well. It was certainly growing chaotic towards the end. EJ Manuel pretty much ruined the last year or two. It just seemed like you could get ideas out individually without being merged. A lot of times here, very specific POV’s are merged into a very general topic. It makes it hard to get read. I have grown fond of TBD and it was a nearly seemless transition. I appreciate the general hospitality but still tend to take slight exception towards the negative comments about BBMB. It was a very solid message board and the non troll lifers that made it home, were often times very insightful and die hard Bills fans. This place has been a very soft landing spot and it is nice to not get blasted by a mod every time you push the vocabulary limit. If this first season here ends the drought, then the BBMB will serve as a sacrifice to the football gods. Go Bills!

There are pluses and minuses everywhere.  Forums have personalities and cultures that are defined by their users and their moderators.  It was different at BBMB.   Some people liked it better there, some liked it better here.   

I'm glad this place was here so that we had someplace to land.  

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'll let you know when you're slipping up. 

There are pluses and minuses everywhere.  Forums have personalities and cultures that are defined by their users and their moderators.  It was different at BBMB.   Some people liked it better there, some liked it better here.   

I'm glad this place was here so that we had someplace to land.  

Yeah me too. When it was first taken down I had to check a ton, thinking somehow it was just my phone or something. It was like a surreal moment. Then I remembered a few times where people over there mentioned this place...just seemed like the only real option at that point.

8 hours ago, Rob's House said:

The biggest problem was the site was infested with emotionally stunted fanboys who couldn't tolerate having their fairy tales challenged, and most of the mods were among them. Shaw was a rare exception. 

In a way I pity them, because it's really pathetic for a grown man to power trip on his message board mod authority and dedicate his waking hours to tirelessly defend the honor of Doug Whaley and EJ Manwell. But most of those guys were insufferable douche nozzles that made that board unreadable and I'm glad they lost their little jobs.

¡Eres racista!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

There were a few good posters over there but overall the level was always a notch below TSW. In fact, depending on what exactly you may be looking for in terms of tone/mood I always thought the smaller boards, the Range (now HCBBT) and the Zone were a lot more fun than the BBMB. Certain mods there made for a stifling experience. That T&C guy used to give me infractions just because another member would ask him to. Overall it was way too politically correct and in your face for my taste.

What is HCBBT?

Honestly, BBMB had not been good for years.  Dates back to the first round of permabans on the “but”.  After that, it became a peeing match between some posters and the mods.  People started pushing the envelope even though it as clearly stated some things would not be tolerated any longer.  Yeah, some of the mods were overboard (teratoma for one), while others were just doing their job.  It just kind of escalated over time. 

The one question asked all the time, is why shut it down?  Simple.  The Bills no longer wanted their team run fan site to contain any negativity towards the team, couldn’t handle it.  After years of futility, and of us backing the team, what did they excpect.....roses??

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

It's so nice to see so many familiar faces/posters here, all assembled. The only mods from the bbmb I lost contact with are Flafitz and Chazz, wonder what they are up to now. I had Jayhawks contact info but can't find it right now, he was one funny mofo lovem or hatem. He was my mentor way back...

There are a lot of half truth's and also a Lot of information omitted in the postings here... I have no problem taking it out into the open to clear any air that wasn't clear already. 

Big 12 sightings!!!

I was danceswithfatchix on there....then dances..then kman.finished with this naming right.banned once for threatening to kill another member.I liked most of the folks on there..no complaints.as far as mods,I really never had any beef with any of them.good luck to everybody..you created that dynasty and you ended it…...surplus the benefits.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

I was danceswithfatchix on there....then dances..then kman.finished with this naming right.banned once for threatening to kill another member.I liked most of the folks on there..no complaints.as far as mods,I really never had any beef with any of them.good luck to everybody..you created that dynasty and you ended it…...surplus the benefits.

Holy mother of pearl... I was asking about you the other day somewhere else. Good to see you posting...

• Thank you (+1) 1

ah, the old BBMB.  The But used to be maybe the single greatest sub forum ever on a message board.  There was a distinct group of poster in the sub, some really find ****, until the hammer came down and everything was an infraction.  Kinda drifted elsewhere after than, mainly this mastic little nook.

Ive heard from a friend who was a mod there that there was no warning, it was just gone one day.  The theory is that OBD wants to used facebook and other social media to communicate with fans, and fans with fans.

wasted a lot of boring workdays on that site, find memories indeed.

Edited by B-Large
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, T&C said:

Holy mother of pearl... I was asking about you the other day somewhere else. Good to see you posting...

good to see you to....p.s.-my sister and bil are leaving your area..coming back home looking at Lancaster...he has the malcom young..it came on quick..he's my age.

On 12/1/2017 at 1:01 PM, Billsfansinceday1 said:

That sounds very unusual but I can’t say it didn’t happen.  Usually, we sent a PM to members with a problematic user name asking them to change it.  Hard to imagine your name even raised an eyebrow.

I thought it was strange too. Maybe it was similar to somebody that was causing issues. I guess I'll never know.