The death of the Buffalo Bills Message Board - how did it happen?

BuffaloRush

It's been quite some time since the Buffalo Bills Message Board was shut down.  In fact, that's how I landed here.  My question is - how did it all go down.  From my understanding the moderators were all volunteers and the head moderator was named Z-man.    How they became moderators and who made them moderators?  I have no idea.  I believe that Chris Brown oversaw the BBMB at one time but had very limited involvement with it. 

From what I can surmise, the board went down very shortly after Derek Boyko was hired.  So my guess is that he evaluated the website and decided the website had to go.  Clearly this was one area that Scott Berchtold must have not really paid much attention to.  

All I know is that one day, I went to log in and then there was a message that it was gone.

Here are my questions:

- Who was from the Bills organization was responsible for the BBMB?

- Who picked the moderators?

- Did anyone from the Bills even know or care that the BBMB existed?

- Who were the moderators exactly?

- How did the death of the BBMB occur and why was the decision made?

-Who made the call and how were the moderators notified?

So many questions - but hopefully with the knowledge of this board we can get some answers.  I am really loving Two Bills Drive by the way.  Way better people and better conversation overall

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not sure, but I was told that the mods there were taking advantage of their power and just banning people for no reason on a regular basis. Made any new comers feel unwelcomed and what not. But I'm not totally sure, just passing what I heard it to be. You probably will never really find out to be honest. In any event, this site is much, much better.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I'm not sure, but I was told that the mods there were taking advantage of their power and just banning people for no reason on a regular basis. Made any new comers feel unwelcomed and what not. But I'm not totally sure, just passing what I heard it to be. You probably will never really find out to be honest. In any event, this site is much, much better.

Well yeah I know.  There are a lot of people here from the old board and I'm sure some mods as well.  It seems like being a BBMB moderator is like being in a secret society like the Stone Cutters.  You never hear anything about it

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

Well yeah I know.  There are a lot of people here from the old board and I'm sure some mods as well.  It seems like being a BBMB moderator is like being in a secret society like the Stone Cutters.  You never hear anything about it

Yeah, a few of them were !@#$s, so I can see it if that was the case, but anyways I'm perfectly happy getting all the info I need here.

they didn't like you. like they don't here either, look down on refugees. nobody from here has any care in the world and wished it never happened.

you had to make this thread, didn't you. arm yourself for some of the posts that will be slinging at you.

frankly though, I'm glad they shut it down. it was a real cesspool toward the end of its existence.

edit: first two sentences I was being facetious (had to add that so I don't rile anyone up) 

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Let me put it to you this way.

When I posted there one day I said that Kim Pegula was very attractive and Terry was a lucky guy.

I was basically shhhhed by one of the mods saying that certain people (meaning the owners) read the site.

Who was the mod?  It was my understanding that the BBMB was pretty much operated with little interference from within the organization.  I didn't think the mods had any real dialogue with any Bills employees.  That's why I don't even think Berchtold even knew about it

7 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Not sure how or why it happened but this site has gotten exponentially worse since it did.

Disagree. A lot of good people have joined. A few others weren’t a god fit. No worries. ?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Let me put it to you this way.

When I posted there one day I said that Kim Pegula was very attractive and Terry was a lucky guy.

I was basically shhhhed by one of the mods saying that certain people (meaning the owners) read the site.

Why is that offensive? I would be happy if someone said my wife was attractive and I was lucky to have her......because neither is true.

just kidding dear.     ;)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

Disagree. A lot of good people have joined. A few others weren’t a god fit. No worries. ?

In hindsight Scott you did the right thing by not building the wall. Some of these refugees have added to the board. Like anything, there was some dead weight but in general it has worked. There was a growth period but I think everyone is comfortable at this point. It’s kept the board really active. 

• Like (+1) 3

The mods couldn't handle The 'But. Once they got tired of banning us, then they tried to be our friends. It all went downhill from there.

(For reference, it's like the Off the Wall forum here, only moderated by the FCC of mod groups.)

Edited by Luka

31 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

You mean Town and Country?

Worst human being that walked this planet. Worse than Hitler.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

You mean Town and Country?

Worst human being that walked this planet. Worse than Hitler.

LOL you mean T & C?  Yeah I remember getting an infractions for doing absolutely nothing.

18 minutes ago, SDS said:

I like it here quite a bit.  People have been super cool for the most part.  Always good chatting with Bills fans