Rex Ryan says he was told to bench Tyrod Taylor last year

But the biggest question is did this order come from the Pegulas? And if so did they also tell McD to bench Taylor for NP a few weeks ago?

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/29/rex-ryan-says-he-was-told-to-bench-tyrod-taylor-last-season-which-led-to-his-firing-bills/

Rex Ryan says he was told to bench Tyrod Taylor last season, which led to his firing

By Nick Veronica | Published 9:50 a.m. November 29, 2017 | Updated 20 minutes ago

When former Bills coach and current ESPN analyst Rex Ryan was asked Wednesday for his thoughts on the Giants benching quarterback Eli Manning, Ryan responded that it felt similar to the end of last season, when he was "told" to bench quarterback Tyrod Taylor.................

Edited by SaviorPeterman

Pretty obvious this was the case. Must be pretty embarrassing for Rex to admit. I would have ignored the order. He was a lame duck by that stage anyway, why not stand up for yourself and make the owners fire you then. The writing was on the wall anyway for Rex yet he caves? Makes him seem even more of a loser than I thought!

1 minute ago, Livinginthepast said:

Pretty obvious this was the case. Must be pretty embarrassing for Rex to admit. I would have ignored the order. He was a lame duck by that stage anyway, why not stand up for yourself and make the owners fire you then. The writing was on the wall anyway for Rex yet he caves? Makes him seem even more of a loser than I thought!

Rex didn't cave. He was fired and then Lynn benched Tyrod. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Rex didn't cave. He was fired and then Lynn benched Tyrod. 

I should have read the article! I take back my critique of Rex. He is now slightly LESS of a loser than I thought. But was the call Whalley's or the Pegula's? to bench TT. last year? the article does confirm where the order originated.

18 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

But the biggest question is did this order come from the Pegulas? And if so did they also tell McD to bench Taylor for NP a few weeks ago?

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/29/rex-ryan-says-he-was-told-to-bench-tyrod-taylor-last-season-which-led-to-his-firing-bills/

It's just click-bait.  We all know what was going on last year.  It doesn't matter if Terry or Doug made the call.  It was a business decision.  One that ultimately paid off with a renegotiated contract.  Looks like they made the right call to me - based on business, not Tyrod's qualifications as a starting QB.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I didn't see Wade do this for Flutie. Coaches will always cover their own butt when owners/ GM's get involved. 

16 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Are we maybe missing the detail of Rex being told to bench Taylor and he refused, so he was fired?  Then Lynn was told and he obeyed?

Nobody's missing anything.   This was reported last year when it happened.

As I recall it:   Rex, Terry and Doug were having their weekly call.  Doug told Rex he wanted Taylor benched.  It's never been disclosed whether Terry made that decision.  The most credible speculation is that Whaley wanted to preserve his options under Taylor's contract, and if Taylor got injured in the last game, Whaley might have been stuck with Taylor long-term with no option to terminate his contract.   Since the Bills were out of the playoffs, Whaley didn't want to take the chance of a Taylor injury.

AFTER the phone call, Rex walked into Pegula's office and asked whether he would be fired after the last game.  Pegula said yes.  Rex said "then fire me now."  Pegula said okay.  

I think what you infer from that is that if Pegula told Rex he'd be the coach in 2017, Rex would have been okay benching Taylor.   But Rex wasn't going to bench Taylor, a guy he'd handpicked, if he was going to lose his job anyway.  

Then they offered the interim spot to Lynn and told him he couldn't play Taylor.   Lynn didn't have the same commitment to Taylor, and the HC spot, even for a game, was much too valuable to his career to say no.   

57 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Rex prides himself in being a players' coach.  He stood up for Taylor.   Rex effectively DID make them fire him.