Under the Radar QB’s that could rise

Dkollidas

On 11/29/2017 at 9:58 PM, kdiggz said:

All of those guys are projects. We don't have time to develop a QB. I expect them to draft a QB high that is ready to play and pair them with a veteran who they can learn from

I think that is pretty short-sighted and I don't expect that any of the draft eligible QBs will be completely ready to play right away.  The NFL is a big step up in competition and each player is likely going into a scheme he never played before.

Edited by OldTimer1960

I'm a Luke Falk fan.  He has some questions about arm strength but there is one trait that he has that is actually more refined than most of the guys in this draft.  He goes through his reads and progressions faster than just about anyone in the draft.  When you turn on the tape watch his helmet at the snap.  His head is on a swivel.  Most of the time the football is out of his hands.  He likes throwing over the middle of the field.  Now sometimes he holds onto the football too long but I think a lot of his issues can be easily corrected except for arm strength.  That's the question mark.

Falk is tough for me to grade.  I see him as a 2nd -4th round guy with a lot of talent.  And I definitely think he can be a special QB.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think that is pretty short-sighted and I don't expect that any of the draft eligible QBs will be completely ready to play right away.  The NFL is a big step up in competition and each player is likely going into a scheme he never played before.

Most 1st round QB's play right away these days. There's only so many roster spots available. Teams don't have room for project players. When was the last time a team drafted and developed a QB? Jimmy G is the only one I can think of and he's not even on the team that developed him anymore. When you are a team like the Pats you can develop someone. Other teams don't have that luxury. Rosen is a day 1 NFL starter. We need someone like that. Otherwise plan B is get a veteran QB and maybe then once that position is solidified you have an opportunity to develop a young guy. We need a QB now so if you are investing heavily at the position it needs to be someone who can play and make an impact right away

13 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Most 1st round QB's play right away these days. There's only so many roster spots available. Teams don't have room for project players. When was the last time a team drafted and developed a QB? Jimmy G is the only one I can think of and he's not even on the team that developed him anymore. When you are a team like the Pats you can develop someone. Other teams don't have that luxury. Rosen is a day 1 NFL starter. We need someone like that. Otherwise plan B is get a veteran QB and maybe then once that position is solidified you have an opportunity to develop a young guy. We need a QB now so if you are investing heavily at the position it needs to be someone who can play and make an impact right away

Goff, Wentz, Watson, Trubisky none of them started right away.  

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

?? All of them did so thank you for proving my point

Well Wentz did, and Watson started in what, week 2? But Trubisky and Goff both sat for a while before starting. It’s not as common as it used to be, but i can still see the benefits to doing it.

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

Well Wentz did, and Watson started in what, week 2? But Trubisky and Goff both sat for a while before starting. It’s not as common as it used to be, but i can still see the benefits to doing it.

Define "a while." All of them started year 1. Nobody sits anymore, especially high draft picks. You can't justify some no name QB from the 4th round sitting on your roster and developing for a few years like they should. They can either can play right away or they are gone pretty quickly.

All the more reason to have a developmental league imo. I would definitely take a shot on these types of guys if I could send them off to the minor leagues and see if they turn into something. They aren't going to develop with limited reps in practice and not playing in the games

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

Define "a while." All of them started year 1. Nobody sits anymore, especially high draft picks. You can't justify some no name QB from the 4th round sitting on your roster and developing for a few years like they should. They can either can play right away or they are gone pretty quickly.

All the more reason to have a developmental league imo. I would definitely take a shot on these types of guys if I could send them off to the minor leagues and see if they turn into something. They aren't going to develop with limited reps in practice and not playing in the games

I would say 4 weeks is a while. A good month of regular season games just to see the play live from the sidelines, how the calls are made, how an offense is run, etc.

But I agree with you for the most part. And I totally agree on the point of a developmental league. They really need it. It would be really cool. 

15 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Who started ahead of Wentz?

I stand corrected he did start from day 1.  Goff did not.

14 hours ago, kdiggz said:

?? All of them did so thank you for proving my point

They did not.  It depends on what you mean by "right away"?  If you mean week 1 then you are wrong which is what I took you to mean.  Only Wentz started week 1.  Watson did not start and would have never seen the field as early as he did if Savage did not get hurt.  Trubisky did not start week 1.

13 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I stand corrected he did start from day 1.  Goff did not.

They did not.  It depends on what you mean by "right away"?  If you mean week 1 then you are wrong which is what I took you to mean.  Only Wentz started week 1.  Watson did not start and would have never seen the field as early as he did if Savage did not get hurt.  Trubisky did not start week 1.

right away as in year 1.  they had Goff on the bench for a few games and people were freaking out and they had to play him.  you can't have a QB sitting on the bench and developing.  they need to play.  drafting a later round guy in hopes he will develop does not work and nobody does that.  they are either good right away or they flame out and the main reason is because you can't carry a guy that can't play on your roster, there's not enough spots.  if they see they stink right off the bat then they are quick to cut them loose (Cardale).  which is really too bad because at 21-23 yrs old who can really say they were the best versions of themselves at that point in their lives?  if the Bills get a veteran starter or stick with Tyrod and then also draft a QB, how much longer do you think Peterman has?  no time to develop.  you either do well right off the bat when you get your shot or you are on your way out of the league.  it happens that fast

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

right away as in year 1.  they had Goff on the bench for a few games and people were freaking out and they had to play him.  you can't have a QB sitting on the bench and developing.  they need to play.  drafting a later round guy in hopes he will develop does not work and nobody does that.  they are either good right away or they flame out and the main reason is because you can't carry a guy that can't play on your roster, there's not enough spots.  if they see they stink right off the bat then they are quick to cut them loose (Cardale).  which is really too bad because at 21-23 yrs old who can really say they were the best versions of themselves at that point in their lives?  if the Bills get a veteran starter or stick with Tyrod and then also draft a QB, how much longer do you think Peterman has?  no time to develop.  you either do well right off the bat when you get your shot or you are on your way out of the league.  it happens that fast

So we just needed clarification on "right away" that's all.  I think as far as guys panning out whether taken early and thrown in "right away" or taken a little later and given time to develop really hinges on their situation.  I don't think everyone's situation can be described the same way.  In any case, I'm eager to see what we will do.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

If we are gonna get a qb.....lets get one that doesnt embarress himself when he steps in for Tyrod Taylor.....who we are trying to upgrade from

A rookie is going to make a lot of mistakes, so there could a drop off from Tyrod. What matters is getting a guy who will be better in the long run.

On 12/25/2017 at 2:29 PM, NewEraBills said:

I'm a Luke Falk fan.  He has some questions about arm strength but there is one trait that he has that is actually more refined than most of the guys in this draft.  He goes through his reads and progressions faster than just about anyone in the draft.  When you turn on the tape watch his helmet at the snap.  His head is on a swivel.  Most of the time the football is out of his hands.  He likes throwing over the middle of the field.  Now sometimes he holds onto the football too long but I think a lot of his issues can be easily corrected except for arm strength.  That's the question mark.

Falk is tough for me to grade.  I see him as a 2nd -4th round guy with a lot of talent.  And I definitely think he can be a special QB.

I really like Falk for the reasons you mentioned. He sees the field and goes through progressions. I think he is a guy who has the potential to become a "Tom Brady." I'm not saying he will be the GOAT, but he is an undervalued guy who lacks arm strength and athleticism. I think he can build arm strength. He has been amazing at times and truly AWFUL at other times. My biggest thing is that his accuracy is really hard to ignore. The bottom line is that I think he is a system quarterback. I think he'd be a great fit in any West Coast offense.  He could be the next Tom Brady, or the next Kellen Moore. 

Luke Falk could turn out to be the best QB in this draft.... I think his production had dipped this season because he had a broken left wrist. It’s not his throwing arm but it had to effected how he played, sure he tried to protect it as much as possible come game time. 

His arm is good enough to make all the throws and he is super accurate which is something that you just can’t teach. He’s real comfortable in the pocket, moves well, maintains poise and will take a hit to make a throw. 

I love Mayfield but all the hype right now may lead to us having to move up to get him. I’d rather take Falk in the second.... I want one of these guys. 

Edited by BananaB

On 1/5/2018 at 9:40 PM, BananaB said:

Luke Falk could turn out to be the best QB in this draft.... I think his production had dipped this season because he had a broken left wrist. It’s not his throwing arm but it had to effected how he played, sure he tried to protect it as much as possible come game time. 

His arm is good enough to make all the throws and he is super accurate which is something that you just can’t teach. He’s real comfortable in the pocket, moves well, maintains poise and will take a hit to make a throw. 

I love Mayfield but all the hype right now may lead to us having to move up to get him. I’d rather take Falk in the second.... I want one of these guys. 

If you are looking at his completion % only to conclude that he is accurate, look at how many throws are behind or just past the line of scrimmage.

On 12/25/2017 at 2:29 PM, NewEraBills said:

I used to be a Luke Falk fan, but the more I watched of him, he just doesn’t seem to be a gamer...he seems to shrink when the lights are brightest imo.

On 12/25/2017 at 10:38 PM, kdiggz said:

All the more reason to have a developmental league imo. I would definitely take a shot on these types of guys if I could send them off to the minor leagues and see if they turn into something. They aren't going to develop with limited reps in practice and not in the games

Mahomes and Jimmy G...some QBs still sit but they have to be in the right situation to do so.  If you don't have a veteran QB that can help the young kid then put him out there but it still happens.  Naming all the QBs taken 1 and 2 and saying how they didn't sit is a pretty selective group.  Mahomes sat, Jimmy G sat, Cousins sat, Derek Carr was supposed to sit but injury happened...the list goes on.  Fans of teams are just impatient and call for peoples heads when the rookies don't play.  Let the kids develop their off the field game first before jumping right in and looking like trash.  Watson did well this year because O'reilly used a very similar playbook to the one Watson had in college so the transition was easy.  That transition isn't always easy, let the kids develop their mental game (playbook, presnap reads, watching more tape on NFL style defenses) which is a completely different level in the NFL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.