Giants to Start Geno Smith at QB - Eli to Start Again After HC and GM Fired

26CornerBlitz

If McAdoo hadn't already lost the locker room he sure has now.

Assuming the Giants wake up and fire Reese (whose drafts have completely sucked for years) along with the clown McAdoo that will be a prime HC job, especially if you can talk Eli into sticking around. Whoever takes over gets a trio of excellent WRs back too, with a good chance to look like a genius in a huge market.

McAdoo 'at peace' with decision to bench Manning

Just one day after trumpeting Eli Manning's surprise benching in New York, the Giants are back to work -- with no apologies.

"You know, it's obviously emotional," coach Ben McAdoo told reporters Wednesday. "A lot of reactions out there. I get the reactions. I understand the emotions. I understand the responses. It's been a tough couple days, but I feel we have to put our emotions aside and make the best decision for the New York Football Giants, and I'm at peace with the decision."

Listened to 660 the fan at lunch and Giants fans ARE PISSED! One guy was disgusted with the move and felt the management let Eli down buy neglecting the OLine.

Another was practically crying and said no matter where Eli end up he will always be a Giant, and will be in the hearts of Giants fans forever.

The Giants really do need to see if Davis Webb has enough potential to be a starter and be able to trade down to help rebuild.

McAdoo is more like Mr MaGoo

Edited by ALF
spelling error
  • Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Call me crazy, but how is this not a good decision? What is the controversy? The 2-9 Giants, unlike the Bills, are completely out of it and in prime position to get a franchise qb in what I think is a great qb draft. Rallying around the flag late in the season with Eli and ending up 5-11 / 6-10 would be very bad for them. At this point, bottom out and put yourself in a position to trade up from the 2/3 slot to wherever it is you want to be (assuming you want to move up). That's how they got Eli in the first place, after all. 

Probably not the place for this, but I think Sam Darnold is the most talented thrower in this draft and will become elite as he matures. He has it all, and I think people should look beyond the rough edges. 

I agree with this. It’s never going to be a good time or a good way to move away from a legend. It happened to Montana from SF, Manning from the Colts, etc. But it has to be about the team. Eli isn’t good anymore and they have to cut the cord and rebuild at some point. They have to draft a Qb - unless Davis Webb shows them something. I don’t think Gene will play the rest of the year, they will get a look at both of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

Eli was in decline and w/o his Magic Power Ring (OBJ) things fell apart fast.   

Te team could have given him an advanced talk.   Get it done or next week there will be a change.  Maybe keep Eli from bawling on TV. 

Or maybe that warning wasn't headed and  McD threw NP into the Lions Den dripping with fresh pigs blood to prove a point.   

oh sorry the topic was Eli.  

Buffalo Bills' starting QBs during Eli Manning's 210-game start streak.

Manning started 210 straight regular season games from his debut on November 21, 2004 to Week 12 of the 2017 season.

link

Drew Bledsoe: 7 starts

J.P. Losman: 33 starts

Kelly Holcomb: 8 starts

Trent Edwards: 32 starts

Brian Brohm: 2 starts

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 53 starts

EJ Manuel: 17 starts

Thad Lewis: 5 starts

Jeff Tuel: 1 start

Kyle Orton: 12 starts

Matt Cassel: 1 start (Technically, Matt Cassel started in the Bills' 2015 season opener against the Indianapolis Colts. He was under center on the first play as Tyrod Taylor was lined up at wide receiver.)

Tyrod Taylor: 38 starts

Nathan Peterman: 1 start (Peterman threw five interceptions in his debut against the Los Angeles Chargers and would be benched at halftime.)

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Drew Bledsoe: 7 starts  - that's all?   wow    was this the 6 game win streak? then BAM

Based on Bills Forum "expertise" -  we've seen enough at 17 games to define a failure and 12 to warrant a spot on the Ring of Fame.  :blush:

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 53 starts Failure 
J.P. Losman: 33 starts Failure 
Trent Edwards: 32 starts Failure 
Tyrod Taylor: 38 starts Expected Failure 
EJ Manuel: 17 starts Failure 
Kyle Orton: 12 starts Presumed Failure 

Wow, 53 starts from Fitz? Didn't think it was that much

It's funny how even as a bridge QB to have an early draft pick sit behind, people here wouldn't want Manning, bit would rather Bridgewater or Keenum? One guy who missed almost 2 full seasons,  and another career backup who has gotten hot for a few games playing for a very good team...

The problem with when they got Bledsoe wasn't the move to get him, he still played well for them, the problem was that they weren't doing everything possible to make sure they had options to replace him when they got to the end of the bridge.....

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, dave mcbride said:

Call me crazy, but how is this not a good decision? What is the controversy? The 2-9 Giants, unlike the Bills, are completely out of it and in prime position to get a franchise qb in what I think is a great qb draft. Rallying around the flag late in the season with Eli and ending up 5-11 / 6-10 would be very bad for them. At this point, bottom out and put yourself in a position to trade up from the 2/3 slot to wherever it is you want to be (assuming you want to move up). That's how they got Eli in the first place, after all. 

Probably not the place for this, but I think Sam Darnold is the most talented thrower in this draft and will become elite as he matures. He has it all, and I think people should look beyond the rough edges. 

Should the fans be forced to watch Geno Smith and Webb  lose the next 5 games?  These losses weren't all on Eli.  There is little talent on this team, beyond OBJ. 

Will an "elite" Darnold be any better in this lineup?  The Giants have little chance to get to 5 or 6 wins no matter what this season.  They will still have a pick of solid QB options next spring.  Darnold isn't the clear pick of that litter.

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Wow, 53 starts from Fitz? Didn't think it was that much

It's funny how even as a bridge QB to have an early draft pick sit behind, people here wouldn't want Manning, bit would rather Bridgewater or Keenum? One guy who missed almost 2 full seasons,  and another career backup who has gotten hot for a few games playing for a very good team...

The problem with when they got Bledsoe wasn't the move to get him, he still played well for them, the problem was that they weren't doing everything possible to make sure they had options to replace him when they got to the end of the bridge.....

They drafted his replacement in the first round in 2004.  What did you have in mind?

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Should the fans be forced to watch Geno Smith and Webb  lose the next 5 games?  These losses weren't all on Eli.  There is little talent on this team, beyond OBJ. 

Will an "elite" Darnold be any better in this lineup?  The Giants have little chance to get to 5 or 6 wins no matter what this season.  They will still have a pick of solid QB options next spring.  Darnold isn't the clear pick of that litter.

At least if they stuck with Manning they could still draft one of the better guys and have Manning there for him to learn from. Its not like they were going to go on a tear and win all the remaining games and pass a bunch of teams. They can know what they have in Webb from practices during the week, At least enough to know if he has potential to possibly be a starter or a career backup and if they should grab a better QB in the draft. 

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

At least if they stuck with Manning they could still draft one of the better guys and have Manning there for him to learn from. Its not like they were going to go on a tear and win all the remaining games and pass a bunch of teams. They can know what they have in Webb from practices during the week, At least enough to know if he has potential to possibly be a starter or a career backup and if they should grab a better QB in the draft. 

I can't believe they are pulling manning just to see what they have in Webb.  They know by now he's not their next franchise QB.  They are tanking to get their man next year.

I'm not a real believer that one franchise QB "grooms" or his successor.                                                                               

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I can't believe they are pulling manning just to see what they have in Webb.  They know by now he's not their next franchise QB.  They are tanking to get their man next year.

I'm not a real believer that one franchise QB "grooms" or his successor.                                                                               

Many do, it usually helps to let someone sit behind someone and watch first instead of being thrown in right away

Wow I still cant believe they benched Eli. No I can believe that, he has been very poor all season and been on a downward trajectory for a couple of years. Actually what I cant believe is that they benched him for Geno Smith. Eli is so bad that they believe that Geno Smith gives them a better chance for victory? That must be BAD. 

Conversely they could think that Geno starting gives them a better chance at defeat and higher draft picks. There maybe method in the madness after all.

10 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Many do, it usually helps to let someone sit behind someone and watch first instead of being thrown in right away

Watching another guy work is far different than a star starter grooming his replacement.  I don't think it happens much.  Most high picked rookies start.