Bowl skipping for draft prospects has begun

YoloinOhio

On 11/27/2017 at 12:48 PM, mannc said:

It's a growing and troubling trend.  After U of O's massacre of Oregon State on Saturday, Royce Freeman refused to say if he would play in the Ducks' bowl game.  I wonder who will be the first player to refuse to play in a playoff game.   

He'll be the only one, cause that would hurt his draft stock.  I can understand skipping out on the chester's hot fries bowl lmao, but not a playoff game

On 11/27/2017 at 6:19 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good for him to learn the lesson of Jaylon Smith. 

Such a devastating injury. I enjoyed watching him during his time at ND. I believe people had him going top 10 at the time, and considered one of the best if not the best player in that draft. 

Must see TV with it on mute while I stare at it and nod and say "wow" once in awhile to the blathering idiots around me....

December 16th

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl
Middle Tennessee vs. Arkansas State
8 p.m., ESPN

That oughta be a BARNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN-BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Here's the fight songs in case you are almost busted... memorize them...

http://fightmusic.com/mp3/cusa/Middle_Tennessee_State__MTSU_Fight_Song.mp3

http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sunbelt/Arkansas_State__ASU_Loyalty_Song.mp3

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Must see TV with it on mute while I stare at it and nod and say "wow" once in awhile to the blathering idiots around me....

December 16th

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl
Middle Tennessee vs. Arkansas State
8 p.m., ESPN

That oughta be a BARNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN-BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Here's the fight songs in case you are almost busted... memorize them...

http://fightmusic.com/mp3/cusa/Middle_Tennessee_State__MTSU_Fight_Song.mp3

http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sunbelt/Arkansas_State__ASU_Loyalty_Song.mp3

I’m betting Arkansas State because Malzahn used to be there.

I don’t blame anyone for protecting their future. It would disappoint me as a teammate, but I get it. Why wait for the bowl game? Did Clowney threaten to sit out the full year? Did he sit late?  I don’t remember the details. When will they put up a few good games of film and call it quits until the draft? 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I don’t blame anyone for protecting their future. It would disappoint me as a teammate, but I get it. Why wait for the bowl game? Did Clowney threaten to sit out the full year? Did he sit late?  I don’t remember the details. When will they put up a few good games of film and call it quits until the draft? 

Clowney didn’t sit out, but he was banged up most of the year I think, may have made business decisions. 

On 11/27/2017 at 3:48 PM, mannc said:

It's a growing and troubling trend.  After U of O's massacre of Oregon State on Saturday, Royce Freeman refused to say if he would play in the Ducks' bowl game.  I wonder who will be the first player to refuse to play in a playoff game.   

Yeah, I really don’t see an issue...I actually hope more of the top players start doing this...I would hate to see a player the Bills are targeting to get injured playing in a meaningless bowl game.

19 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

As they should. They get nothing but a gift pack from these games and the Conferences and Schools get Millions from these games. 

They are meaningless (unless maybe for the National Championship) skip away as they should 

They get another chance to play football for the last time in their life for most of them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ward should IMO, not so sure about Baker

Ward is one of the best corners in the draft, I could understand him not playing. Baker is an athlete trying to play LB and even though I’m not his biggest fan imo he’s too raw and should return to further hone his technique at LB. He’s not  close to as ready as Darren Lee was when he left and even he was considered a project. I don’t like Bill Davis coaching him, fickell was missed on that LB group, and think adding Alex Grinch to the staff from wazzou will be huge for his development. But Baker has a child to support and if he skips the game and leaves I won’t really blame him or care.

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ward is one of the best corners in the draft, I could understand him not playing. Baker is an athlete trying to play LB and even though I’m not his biggest fan imo he’s too raw and should return to further hone his technique at LB. He’s not  close to as ready as Darren Lee was when he left and even he was considered a project. I don’t like Bill Davis coaching him, fickell was missed on that LB group, and think adding Alex Grinch to the staff from wazzou will be huge for his development. But Baker has a child to support and if he skips the game and leaves I won’t really blame him or care.

Ward to me is a no-brainer. He was phenomenal this year. He’s a 1st round lock. 

I get Baker doing it but think it’s a mistake. It would be short-sighted. He should only improve going forward and head into next year’s draft with fewer questions. He’d be stepping over dollars to pick up pennies. That’s not a good idea. He will still go in the first few rounds I think.

I will never understand someone who plays and loves football with all his heart and soul refusing to take ANY opportunity to play the game for real, maybe the last time ever.

those of you who never played or loved sports thinking this is a great idea for money reasons are totally and completely wrong on this

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.