Taylor's performance Vs Chargers

JerseyBills

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Who is he throwing 23 yards downfield to on this team?:lol:   He thumped one off of Brandon Tate on 2nd and 20 on Sunday......does that count?

The reality is that it's become a vertical passing league.........Taylor is good at that..........teams are throwing a lot less tight window intermediate throws into the middle of the field if they don't have to because that's where the turnovers and injuries(see Benjamin) are.

In addition to nearly getting Benjamin's leg amputated......Dennison later nearly ran Zay Jones into a concussion on one of those routes Sunday as well.   Those are routes you can only use if you get separation so the receiver can make plays and protect himself.  Dennison has been stubborn........you can't NOT use the area outside the hashes and then try to be surgical between them.:doh:

Bills lack the downfield personnel to make teams respect that deep outside throw so they are focused on the inside.   Taylor threw a beautiful bomb to Zay on a 9 route Sunday but it was tipped away because the cornerback was in his back pocket.   That's not Jones' route.......or anybody on this teams route, unfortunately.    Deonte Thompson is the only one with speed to get deep but they cut him two years ago in the first place because he was dropping deep throws in the preseason games.........and he did it in the Saints game.   They lack that personnel to make teams respect the entire field and that is not the least bit on Taylor.

Well said. McD and Dennison have set up TT to fail from the day they traded Sammy.

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You must not watch much NFL football beyond Bills' games. QBs are often forced to checkdown throws behind the sticks as coverage often dictates.  Even with that being the case, Tyrod needs to take more chances. 

Oh I do watch a lot of games besides the Bills...have been for 35 years.....and TT is playing in " safe " mode way too much...it's almost like he cares more about his interceptions being on the low side vs taking a shot to win the game....we need better....

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

So you'd rather argue semantics than actually discuss the topic on hand?

You know lack of aggressiveness is a huge flaw of Taylor's and exactly why he was benched. To argue otherwise is delusional. 

It is a sad sign of the times when clearly false statements are excused as mere "semantics." Your facts, my facts, they're all true if I say they are. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You must not watch much NFL football beyond Bills' games. QBs are often forced to checkdown throws behind the sticks as coverage often dictates.  Even with that being the case, Tyrod needs to take more chances. 

First, every single quarterback in the NFL regularly checks off. Every. Single. One. A lot of fans on this board apparently have never watched another NFL game in their lives - at least not with the same eyes. Taylor whiffs on a throw and this board explodes - as if all quarterbacks don't have several bad throws every single game. Taylor misses an open receiver? Try watching another game. Taylor doesn't throw much to the deep middle? Try watching another game. Taylor isn't affected by a lousy offensive line, a carousel of receivers off the scrapheap, a running attack which disappears completely for entire games, or a stale stubborn OC? Watch another game. Or watch the first half of Bills vs Chargers. That will tell you much the same thing.

Confession : I never saw the Saints game. I sometimes catch games later, but with that one I just didn't have the heart. So I can't say how Taylor was so bad that day, but will say the narrative built out of that game is pretty absurd. Checkdown Charlie? Before the Saints game Taylor was sixth in the NFL with +20yds pass plays per attempt. In front of him was Goff, Brees, Brady, Cousins, and Watson (not in that order). After Taylor was Russell Wilson and every other quarterback in the NFL. The meme that Taylor doesn't push the ball downfield can only come from people who never watched a Bills' game before New Orleans, much less a game from the past two seasons. When Taylor had Woods and Watson on the field (15 games total), he averaged over 8yds an attempt, which is pretty exceptional in the league. Look : I'm a Taylor supporter, but if you say the Bills can upgrade, I have no argument with you. If you want to dislike him, be my guest. I don't police people who dislike Tyrod; I police stupid.

Edited by grb

37 minutes ago, grb said:

First, every single quarterback in the NFL regularly checks off. Every. Single. One. A lot of fans on this board apparently have never watched another NFL game in their lives - at least not with the same eyes. Taylor whiffs on a throw and this board explodes - as if all quarterbacks don't have several bad throws every single game. Taylor misses an open receiver? Try watching another game. Taylor doesn't throw much to the deep middle? Try watching another game. Taylor isn't affected by a lousy offensive line, a carousel of receivers off the scrapheap, a running attack which disappears completely for entire games, or a stale stubborn OC? Watch another game. Or watch the first half of Bills vs Chargers. That will tell you much the same thing.

Confession : I never saw the Saints game. I sometimes catch games later, but with that one I just didn't have the heart. So I can't say how Taylor was so bad that day, but will say the narrative built out of that game is pretty absurd. Checkdown Charlie? Before the Saints game Taylor was sixth in the NFL with +20yds pass plays per attempt. In front of him was Goff, Brees, Brady, Cousins, and Watson (not in that order). After Taylor was Russell Wilson and every other quarterback in the NFL. The meme that Taylor doesn't push the ball downfield can only come from people who never watched a Bills' game before New Orleans, much less a game from the past two seasons. When Taylor had Woods and Watson on the field (15 games total), he averaged over 8yds an attempt, which is pretty exceptional in the league. Look : I'm a Taylor supporter, but if you say the Bills can upgrade, I have no argument with you. If you want to dislike him, be my guest. I don't police people who dislike Tyrod; I police stupid.

One of the unmentioned issues from that New Orleans game was the absence of Zay Jones.

We all know that Dropzone had been KILLING the team with drops and other losses of body function early in the season...........but he's the only one of TT's top 4 wideouts that was with the team before the preseason........and he's subsequently been the guy that Taylor feels most comfortable throwing too........by A LOT.

They have clearly made leaps and bounds in terms of connecting throws since.

But without Jones in that NOLA game none of his top 3 WR(Benjamin, Matthews and Thompson) hadn't even taken a preseason snap with the team.

I would GUESS that has happened in the NFL before......due to injuries.......but I can't recall it ever happening with the Bills.

For a passer clearly lacking faith/trust in WR's(for a reason, see every game Brandon Tate has to play WR).........having that much unfamiliarity was a big issue, IMO.

Less of an issue for Peterman who simply wings the ball to a spot regardless of the potential outcome........as anyone who saw him fling it around to a 50% completion rate in the preseason should have known.

But by the time Taylor was accused of sabotaging the offense by checking down they were already getting buried by the NOLA offense coming off a pounding from the Jets offense.  There was no coming back because it was abundantly clear that they weren't going to get a stop on defense.

Yeah, we'd like to see him take more chances downfield but as you said Taylor had NOT been relentlessly checking down all season.........when he wasn't taking downfield shots the offense was trying to kill clock........like the inexplicably conservative second half offense versus Atlanta after Taylor had burned them with a number of great throws.

Bigger issue to me is the team getting rid of playmakers like Watkins and Gillislee.........then being upset with Tyrod when their slow footed replacements like Matthews and Tolbert can't get away from defenders make plays.:doh:

6 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

So you'd rather argue semantics than actually discuss the topic on hand?

You know lack of aggressiveness is a huge flaw of Taylor's and exactly why he was benched. To argue otherwise is delusional. 

To answer the question, his last performance. He was much more aggressive,looked downfield,took shots and ultimately led the O on multiple scoring drives.

I Know the factors involved,the game was out of hand, SD was playing soft,but if we can get that Tyrod for 4 quarters,I like the position it could put our O in..

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

To answer the question, his last performance. He was much more aggressive,looked downfield,took shots and ultimately led the O on multiple scoring drives.

I Know the factors involved,the game was out of hand, SD was playing soft,but if we can get that Tyrod for 4 quarters,I like the position it could put our O in..

Maybe his benching will force him to become a whole new player. We can only hope.

On 11/24/2017 at 4:51 PM, JerseyBills said:

Yes, Dennison has been such a disappointment.

I think Clay and Shady are Tyrod's necessity. We've had no Glenn, see Dallas with no Tyron Smith. Our oft injured WR.

Tyrod has gotten a bad deal, I believe in him though ,when he just goes out there and plays freely. I was encouraged by his performance on Sun.

We can build on that performance.

The problem is Dennison and McD we're NEVER willing to develop an offense that exemplified Tyrod's strengths. Why even keep him if they were going to handcuff him? Makes no sense?

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The problem is Dennison and McD we're NEVER willing to develop an offense that exemplified Tyrod's strengths. Why even keep him if they were going to handcuff him? Makes no sense?

Maybe they gave him the benefit of the doubt and determined that he could possibly run a real NFL offense and not a run-oriented college offense built around the read-option?