Everyone's so caught up on QB, what happened to the defense?

McNubbins

I think that somewhere around the Jets game, the team realized that they weren't really going to compete this year. The 5-2 record aside, they started to fall apart due to fatigue, and the rest of the NFL catching up with film. 

The defense was the first thing to go, followed by the oline. When the big men realized they were paper tigers, the seams started coming apart. I think the coaches had low expectations anyway, but had to let it play out. 

When the dust settles, I think this is a 6-7 win team, but trending upward due to all of the draft picks coming this year. 

Another aspect of moving Dareus, that doesn't seem to be being thought about, is the impact on the other players around him - especially the likes of Kyle and Hughes.

While it may seem a little odd to talk in terms of trust and Dareus, I'd be willing to bet that both Kyle and Hughes trusted Dareus, on the field, to be doing his job, on any given play.

Although it's probably fair to say that ideas of continuity, when made in reference to the lines, are more important when you look at O-Lines, it's still something that has an impact on the D-Line as well. Kyle, Hughes and Dareus, have played a lot together over the last several years, and likely know each others game inside out.

I'd also say that the regression in the D-Line performance, has impacted what the LBers are able to do. In fairness, they aren't the most talented bunch we've seen, but if the opposition are getting to them sooner, it makes shedding blocks (which they aren't especially good at anway) that much more difficult, as they haven't got enough momentum built up.

I don't doubt that the style of D we are playing, has also been 'figured out', to an extent, and that combined with the lack of 'push' up front, is resulting in the D playing an awful lot on the back foot. Add in a lack of offensive production, so that their time on the field has increased, and you see the recipe coming together for the abysmal defensive performances that have been suddenly the norm. The oft injured Gaines having been missing, isn't helping the secondary either.

Having said all of that, the amount of poor tackling technique that has also suddenly reared its ugly head, is something that the defensive players have no excuse for, whatsoever.

Getting turnovers is important, but the first man to the football, should be stopping the play first and foremost, and not even be thinking of stripping the football.

14 hours ago, KW95 said:

This is exact replay of when Gailey was coach.  Team was leading the league in turnovers and were 5-2. Turnovers dried up and the real defence was exposed.

Lol ya pretty similar actually. The only difference is the offence and turnovers were winning for the Bills that year, this year was strictly defence

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Great read thanks for posting. This is what worries me about McD as a defensive coach. Pretty easy to be a good defensive coordinator when you got an all pro in Kuechly running all around the field, and checking in and out of plays putting his defence in the right spot almost every single play.

I'm sure the Bills will upgrade on Brown going forward, but going to almost be impossible to get another Luke Kuechly type of player

• Like (+1) 1

This time of year the undersized dinged secondary and the middling dinged up LB corp are less likely to dip their nose into the scrum to make a tackle. Watch and you will see that they were arm tackling above the waste. Self preservation technique that Gilmore employed. No one is trying to take the wheels off the bus when tackling. Goes back to technique.

19 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Can't say for sure but looks like teams are attacking the linebackers a lot more in gnf middle of the field. Just something I've noticed. Maybe I'm wrong

Oh we absolutely need better linebackers but the defense was good for the first part of this year even without that because they were getting pressure on the QB and causing turnovers.  The young secondary we've assembled was feasting.  Of course we need linebackers too but pass rush should be the priority on defense.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Oh we absolutely need better linebackers but the defense was good for the first part of this year even without that because they were getting pressure on the QB and causing turnovers.  The young secondary we've assembled was feasting.  Of course we need linebackers too but pass rush should be the priority on defense.

Ya agreed. Good pass rush can cover up a lot of holes for a defence. And to your point, without pass rush the Bills backers are getting exposed. Especially Brown and Lorax

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Ya agreed. Good pass rush can cover up a lot of holes for a defence. And to your point, without pass rush the Bills backers are getting exposed. Especially Brown and Lorax

Lawson has seemed to improve in his second year even with a lack of talent at DT next to him.  He's stopped the run nicely too.  I'm higher on him than some and think he will develop nicely.  I think he will improve with help at DT and Hughes should improve as well.  We just have no interior penetration this year

7 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Lawson has seemed to improve in his second year even with a lack of talent at DT next to him.  He's stopped the run nicely too.  I'm higher on him than some and think he will develop nicely.  I think he will improve with help at DT and Hughes should improve as well.  We just have no interior penetration this year

Ya Lawson has set the edge well for the most part, but I still think he needs to generate more pass rush. Hughes has been average this year as he is very streaky. And yes the interior line is getting no push at all. I love Kyle Williams but it looks like age may be finally starting to catch up to him

Here’s what happened: our LB unit is horrible and our front 4 can’t stop the run or pressure the QB. Kyle Williams looks done. Whoever is next to him sucks. Hughes has been invisible and Lawson is as unproductive as I expected him to be. All in all, a major overhaul to

the front 7 is in order.

Edited by Bangarang

22 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I think its a combination of a lot of things.

The Bills were giving up lots of yards with the exception of the Jets and Panthers game, but the difference is the Bills were getting tons of turnovers that lead them to 5-2. They aren't getting those turnovers anymore.

Losing Dareus for sure hurt the run defence.

Scheme I believe has been figured out. Teams just aren't beating themselves and are attacking the linebackers in the passing game.

Linebackers have taken a huge step back the last few weeks.

And pass rush. The Bills were getting after the QB with 4 or 5 guys consistently but now they can't even come close.

Add all those thing together and you get a recipe for disaster

...to the tune of 500 yds?......thought I read his snap count was <40%......BUT....the bigger question is where the hell as Leslie Frazier in this mess?.......isn't the sign of a good coach to adjust?......why did Milano disappear?.......why do the turnovers now look like Dry Gulch?......NEITHER coordinator has come remotely close to stepping up in difficult times......it's almost like Fairchild and Wannestedt all over again.....Mutt 'n Jeff Show..............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...to the tune of 500 yds?......thought I read his snap count was <40%......BUT....the bigger question is where the hell as Leslie Frazier in this mess?.......isn't the sign of a good coach to adjust?......why did Milano disappear?.......why do the turnovers now look like Dry Gulch?......NEITHER coordinator has come remotely close to stepping up in difficult times......it's almost like Fairchild and Wannestedt all over again.....Mutt 'n Jeff Show..............

There are more problems than just losing Dareus but losing him for sure hurt. I listed the stats plenty of times so won't list again lol but it's pretty crazy the difference when he's in the lineup vs without and the same for Jacksonville.

But yes there are other big problems as well outside of losing Dareus

46 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

There are more problems than just losing Dareus but losing him for sure hurt. I listed the stats plenty of times so won't list again lol but it's pretty crazy the difference when he's in the lineup vs without and the same for Jacksonville.

But yes there are other big problems as well outside of losing Dareus

...yup and I agree...but where the hell is Frazier and what is he doing about the mess?......it is HIS responsibility and he's in the Witness Protection Program.......add insult to injury with McD being a defensive rooted guy........

On 11/24/2017 at 11:32 AM, billsfan11 said:

I think its a combination of a lot of things.

The Bills were giving up lots of yards with the exception of the Jets and Panthers game, but the difference is the Bills were getting tons of turnovers that lead them to 5-2. They aren't getting those turnovers anymore.

Losing Dareus for sure hurt the run defence.

Scheme I believe has been figured out. Teams just aren't beating themselves and are attacking the linebackers in the passing game.

Linebackers have taken a huge step back the last few weeks.

And pass rush. The Bills were getting after the QB with 4 or 5 guys consistently but now they can't even come close.

Add all those thing together and you get a recipe for disaster

Probably all of the above, AND most importantly, this D has just plain quit.  600-700 yards rushing in 3 games?  That's quitting.

40 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yup and I agree...but where the hell is Frazier and what is he doing about the mess?......it is HIS responsibility and he's in the Witness Protection Program.......add insult to injury with McD being a defensive rooted guy........

Ya I agree. If they didn't get it sorted out soon, Frazier might be canned after the year