Everyone's so caught up on QB, what happened to the defense?

McNubbins

At the beginning of the season we played strong against the run, lately that's gone by the wayside.  Is that simply because Dareus isn't playing?  Tre White was playing at DROTY caliber at the beginning.  Did teams just figure out how to play him?  Obviously we aren't getting turnovers, and tackling has looked weaker than it did at the beginning.  So what, in your estimation, happened to the defense?

I don't dismiss the idea that the offense not being able to stay on the field has worn out the defense.  Is that the problem?  Does it all come back to the offense again?

I am reviewing that last game I will have more answers tonight or tomorrow.

About White though, as far as I see he doing a good job out there. It just doesn't come up. Like, nobody writes that the Chargers scored 47 points on the Bills, but be of good cheer because Tre White did ok. Well, actually I am maybe the first to put that way.

Be of good cheer McNubbins. Tre White is doing quite well! :) 

Anyway more on the D from me once I get through the 2nd half of the chargers game. I will make a post in the next day or two.

• Like (+1) 2

I think its a combination of a lot of things.

The Bills were giving up lots of yards with the exception of the Jets and Panthers game, but the difference is the Bills were getting tons of turnovers that lead them to 5-2. They aren't getting those turnovers anymore.

Losing Dareus for sure hurt the run defence.

Scheme I believe has been figured out. Teams just aren't beating themselves and are attacking the linebackers in the passing game.

Linebackers have taken a huge step back the last few weeks.

And pass rush. The Bills were getting after the QB with 4 or 5 guys consistently but now they can't even come close.

Add all those thing together and you get a recipe for disaster

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

The Bills were giving up lots of yards with the exception of the Jets and Panthers game, but the difference is the Bills were getting tons of turnovers that lead them to 5-2. They aren't getting those turnovers anymore.

Scheme I believe has been figured out. Teams just aren't beating themselves and are attacking the linebackers in the passing game.

And pass rush. The Bills were getting after the QB with 4 or 5 guys consistently but now they can't even come close.

I agree with most of your points but I don't think teams figured out the scheme.  What's to figure out?  Every single defense has been run in the past we just don't have guys in our front 7 that can run it well.  Pass rush is extremely important in this scheme...we don't have any.  If a QB is comfortable in the pocket, of course they are gonna pick apart the defense.  Need more pass rush

32 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Yes, it certainly did. But that's been waaay overplayed. Dareus snap count percentages for his 6 Bills games this year:

57 (when he was obviously being showcased ahead of the trade)

And remember Week 16 last year, when the Dolphins ran for 261 yards against us? Dareus was on the field 90 percent of the snaps.  He was also on the field FOR EVERY DEFENSIVE SNAP when Leveon Bell ran all over us in week 14 last year. There's other serious/systemic problems here, not the least of which is the terrible linebacking corps. McD may be covering his own butt a little when he provides his lukewarm support for his D line and talks about the next level's failure to fill the gaps, but there is definitely something there.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

6 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

McD may be covering his own butt a little when he provides his lukewarm support for his D line and talks about the next level's failure to fill the gaps, but there is definitely something there.

That is weird. I didn't know he ever anything of substance. I had stopped listening to him.

Anyway I saw the same thing McD said there.

Lack of talent finally catching up to them. Lack of a big body requiring a double team every play isnt helping either.  Now teams are free to pick and choose who they want to double team based in play design or use the extra blocker to take out an LB that was runming free before...

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I agree with most of your points but I don't think teams figured out the scheme.  What's to figure out?  Every single defense has been run in the past we just don't have guys in our front 7 that can run it well.  Pass rush is extremely important in this scheme...we don't have any.  If a QB is comfortable in the pocket, of course they are gonna pick apart the defense.  Need more pass rush

Can't say for sure but looks like teams are attacking the linebackers a lot more in gnf middle of the field. Just something I've noticed. Maybe I'm wrong

• Like (+1) 1

The Chargers ran a lot of short slant passing routes.  That becomes the responsibility of the LB.  That is a mismatch, and 90% of the time it works every time.  I'm not sure why the LBs can stop the run.  Maybe their poor pass coverage is messing with their heads and then they are a step too slow to fill the gaps and stop the runs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes, it certainly did. But that's been waaay overplayed. Dareus snap count percentages for his 6 Bills games this year:

57 (when he was obviously being showcased ahead of the trade)

And remember Week 16 last year, when the Dolphins ran for 261 yards against us? Dareus was on the field 90 percent of the snaps.  He was also on the field FOR EVERY DEFENSIVE SNAP when Leveon Bell ran all over us in week 14 last year. There's other serious/systemic problems here, not the least of which is the terrible linebacking corps. McD may be covering his own butt a little when he provides his lukewarm support for his D line and talks about the next level's failure to fill the gaps, but there is definitely something there.

Well him last year is hard to compare cause I'm pretty sure the Bills only had 10 players on the field half the time... haha. That was a clown show all around under Rex.

I think you are right about the other factors for sure, but the numbers are staggering when he was in the lineup vs. without him. And the same thing goes for the Jaguars. Dareus missed 2 games earlier in the year and both games Denver and ATL went over 100 on the ground. The games where he was in the lineup? Under 100 every single time.

The once exception where the Bills did well without him was the OAK game. Probably due to the fact the Raiders are a terrible rushing team and Lynch wasn't playing.

Like I said, there are other factors besides Dareus for sure. But I still think losing him has hurt them big time in the run game

• Like (+1) 1

According to Chris Brown this week.  Part of it is talent, especially at LB.   some of it is losing confidence after the Jets game. Young guys getting discouraged when they make a bad play.  Not trusting each other so they are getting out of their gaps.  Seems like the Bills have had real issues with mental toughness on the D since rex.

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

The Chargers ran a lot of short slant passing routes.  That becomes the responsibility of the LB.  That is a mismatch, and 90% of the time it works every time.  I'm not sure why the LBs can stop the run.  Maybe their poor pass coverage is messing with their heads and then they are a step too slow to fill the gaps and stop the runs.

The line is making it hard for Preston to find the gap to fill. he need to back off two more yards from scrimmage. Humber is at best ST and lost right now.
Alexander is at best as a pass rusher. Milano should be the guy catching those routes.
combination of badness lately

Dareus's impact, isn't to be measured in snap counts. If he's in on opposition run plays that aren't successful, he's affecting their game plan.

Perhaps one of the more telling things that this team has done since he was traded, is to re-sign a bigger bodied DT, and let another one go, in an effort to do something about shoring up the middle.  Actions are speaking louder than statistics, or should I say snap counts.

Even when the D was really firing with Schwartz a few years back, Dareus missed a game or two towards the end of the season, and we got run all over again, all of a sudden. He returned, iirc, and all of a sudden the run D is back performing.

There's a reason why teams pay big money to DTs with Dareus's skill set, and that's because they make life a lot easier for the players around them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

According to Chris Brown this week.  Part of it is talent, especially at LB.   some of it is losing confidence after the Jets game. Young guys getting discouraged when they make a bad play.  Not trusting each other so they are getting out of their gaps.  Seems like the Bills have had real issues with mental toughness on the D since rex.

Why the heck is Humber in there over Milano?

21 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

The line is making it hard for Preston to find the gap to fill. he need to back off two more yards from scrimmage. Humber is at best ST and lost right now.
Alexander is at best as a pass rusher. Milano should be the guy catching those routes.
combination of badness lately

A lot of people are down on Preston.  I like him, he's smart and a professional.  But he's a tweener.  Not quick enough for pass defense, not big enough for a run thumper.  Maybe he should be moved to Will. I assume LB will be a second or third priority for the next draft. I hope that gets them the guy they need.

Lack LB talent is half the problem and the play of our DT's is the other, and yes Kyle Williams is not taking up the slack. With every game he looks older and older. He was best with Darius next to him taking on  the double teams.