49ers are the trade target

Tatonka68

Who do you draft??  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Which quarterback would you draft?

• Lamar Jackson, Louisville
    • Josh Rosen, UCLA
    • Sam Darnold, USC
    • Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma St
    • Josh Allen, Wyoming
    • Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
    • Clayton Thorson, Northwestern

35 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

When the 49ers traded for Jimmy G, they became are number one target to trade up in the NFL Draft to get a NFL QB. The 49ers should be drafting 2nd to 4th and the Bills two picks in the teens and twenties. Who would you draft and what are you willing to give up?

49ers are a good trade match, but I fear that trade will be for CJ Beathard, not the #2 overall pick ...

... Beathard will be starting again despite Garoppolo having been around for a few weeks now.  So what on earth are they playing at?

A. Hiding Garoppolo because they don't want him to perform well and drive up the free agent bidding.

B. Playing Beathard in an attempt at securing a higher draft pick.

C. Showcasing Beathard, who they believe is better than people think and may be trade bait in the offseason

D. They don't know what the hell they're doing

E. All of the above

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

That's not even close to enough compensation.

It will cost THREE first round picks, plus additional picks to move from the mid 1st round into the top 4. 

I'm not sure about this.  I don't know who would be prepared to give up three first round picks.  Also, assuming we are trading with the 49ers they will be keen to get help straight away to help their new toy [QB].  They might well be attracted by 2 first round picks this year and a second. 

13 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

That's not even close to enough compensation.

It will cost THREE first round picks, plus additional picks to move from the mid 1st round into the top 4. 

Do whatever it takes, trade ALL the 2017 picks and throw in McCoy and Tyrod, just do it. Enough is enough. 

11 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

When the 49ers traded for Jimmy G, they became are number one target to trade up in the NFL Draft to get a NFL QB. The 49ers should be drafting 2nd to 4th and the Bills two picks in the teens and twenties. Who would you draft and what are you willing to give up?

It is just possible the 49ers intend to keep Garappolo AND draft a QB.

Everyone thought the Eagles were crazy when they signed Bradford to a 2 year, $36M deal - then turned around and traded up for Wentz, meanwhile signing one of the better "dark horse" second tier FA in Chase Daniel to a 3 year, $21M deal.

Now they're looking crazy like a fox, so expect other teams to try this "All In!" strategy.

Can someone provide a capsule description of these guys?  How many starts, what's their completion percentage, what kind of offense they play in, etc?

6 minutes ago, tlfcbb said:

I'm not sure about this.  I don't know who would be prepared to give up three first round picks.  Also, assuming we are trading with the 49ers they will be keen to get help straight away to help their new toy [QB].  They might well be attracted by 2 first round picks this year and a second. 

That’s the other benefit of a rep QB class. I’ve been banging that drum for 2 years. It may drive the price down a little because someone could say 3 1sts for Rosen or 1 for Baker? Other years you don’t have Baker (or someone like him) as that option. You have Paxton Lynch.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It is just possible the 49ers intend to keep Garappolo AND draft a QB.

Everyone thought the Eagles were crazy when they signed Bradford to a 2 year, $36M deal - then turned around and traded up for Wentz, meanwhile signing one of the better "dark horse" second tier FA in Chase Daniel to a 3 year, $21M deal.

Now they're looking crazy like a fox, so expect other teams to try this "All In!" strategy.

Can someone provide a capsule description of these guys?  How many starts, what's their completion percentage, what kind of offense they play in, etc?

Why would Jimmy sign that deal? He will get more on the open market.

Just now, HappyDays said:

Dark horse to keep an eye on - Clayton Thornton from Northwestern. Good size, strong arm, good mechanics, high character type. Played at a small school with zero talent so his stats don’t tell the whole story. Reminds me of Jimmy Garropolo as a prospect.

Not accurate enough for me, I wouldn’t want him in the middle rounds.

Two conflicting ideas make it difficult for a team like the Bills:

1. Strongest QB class in years, particularly if Darnold comes out.

2. Everyone knows it, with multiple teams after that future franchise QB.

I sense another shift of emphasis coming. After NFL teams got obsessed (again) with pocket passers and started trying to shift away from the more typical "college" style passer, we saw Deshaun Watson make a tremendous debut and Russell Wilson carry an offense almost single-handedly. I think that's going to be behind the rise in Lamar Jackson's stock as well as Mayfield.

EDIT: I don't watch a whole lot of any of these guys, but one guy I've seen more than most here based on where I live: Josh Allen, Wyoming. And I'm just not that impressed.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

42 minutes ago, ALF said:

I would give up the 2 ones and a 2nd but someone would outbid that for Rosen

Tell them you will add in Tyrod, they would then have a backup or even a backup plain if Grap gets injuried or Graps the bed. If they don't want him add in a late round 2019 pick. Get it done, a franchise worthy QB is the goal and Rosen is the target IMO, go get him.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s the other benefit of a rep QB class. I’ve been banging that drum for 2 years. It may drive the price down a little because someone could say 3 1sts for Rosen or 1 for Baker? Other years you don’t have Baker (or someone like him) as that option. You have Paxton Lynch.

Too many teams need a QB.

Bills, Jets, Jags, Broncos, Browns, Steelers, Cardinals, Giants, Redskins will all need a starter. There will be tons of teams looking for QB help this year. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Bills, Jets, Jags, Broncos, Browns, Steelers, Cardinals, Giants, Redskins will all need a starter. There will be tons of teams looking for QB help this year. 

And it's why there is no reason to win another game this season

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yep Kirby, that is an excellent point.  It is a good year to have 2 first round picks based on the strength of the QB pool coming out  

Just now, xRUSHx said:

And it's why there is no reason to win another game this season

No. Given the way things have transpired we should be trying to win and change the culture in the locker room. 

If we were worried about competition for QBs, we should have traded McCoy before the season started. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

I don’t disagree but I think that Cousins and Tyrod fill 2 of those spots (my guess is Washington and Denver). The Bills will be picking ahead of the Jags and maybe the Cardinals. They will still have a shot at one of these guys.