Here's our problem: Draft Rounds 1-3

Rubes

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:

Can our new GM have his FIRST DRAFT before we complain about his work?

Wow, just wow!

And he's not going to get the players for positions McDermott wants just like Whaley did?  Get a clue:  Beane is not an independent GM here.  He's not only subservient to higher ups in the FO, he's subservient to the HC.  That's what a figurehead is.

32 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I see a bunch of guys playing key roles on good NFL teams.

ans if you expand it further, there are other guys making impact around the NFL: Bradham, Dustin Hopkins 

Rubes is correct. For more than 20 years the Bills have been throwing early draft picks directly down the sewer. Even this year, we passed on quarterbacks and traded down to grab a what? You guessed it, a corner. I know.....he is "good." :) For every so-so starter such as Bradham you can name, I can name an early pick ala Spiller that served to destroy any chance of playoff football.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Augie said:

Certainly a problem, but the facts are, we are moving forward. You can’t just point to “gone” without mentioning what we got in return. The math ain’t right. 

This is waaaaay too simple of an approach to be negative. Include contract concerns, what we got in return, how they performed with the new team, etc. Then, maybe, it puts things into context. 

Okay try to use those "facts" that "are" which prove we are getting better, not just moving forward. If the motion is just moving forward, time itself moves us forward. It does not necessarily  make you  better. Just your gut feelings or beliefs are not a fact. Exactly what concrete, qualitative measurement of fact proves we are definately getting better. Feelings and beliefs are not convincing facts. Make me a believer.

Its the clashing of philosophies. The bills have

• gone from 4/3 to  3/4 to 4/3 to 3/4 to 4/3 on defense.
  • brought in GM's who wanted to avoid low character guys (Leavy and Nix), a GM who targeted guys who he believed were undervalued because of Character issues (Whaley),  back to a GM who wants to avoid low character guys again.
  • replaced washed up coaches with inexperienced coaches, and inexperienced coaches with washed up coaches
  • over-drafted and under-drafted positions 
  • traded, cut, or refused to sigh players that are still reliable starters in the league    

If personnel like Wade Phillips, Marshawn Lynch, and Jason Peters were still with this team today, we might have made the playoffs at least once. Probably not a Superbowl, but at least the post-season

Edited by MURPHD6
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Rubes is correct. For more than 20 years the Bills have been throwing early draft picks directly down the sewer. Even this year, we passed on quarterbacks and traded down to grab a what? You guessed it, a corner. I know.....he is "good." :) For every so-so starter such as Bradham you can name, I can name an early pick ala Spiller that served to destroy any chance of playoff football.

Bradham is playing at a pro bowl level Bill.  And I was referring more to the Whaley years.  He definitely had his flaws but this team was as talented as it has been in the drought.

now, the new regime just created a bunch of holes that it will need to fill instead of just adding to the current talent. So dumb, so Bills like. 

16 hours ago, Heitz said:

Not to mention that they’re gone, but even if ALL of them were here, how many are actually good?

Buddy and Doug, Super Geniuses! ?

Plenty are good.

No Jason Peters as they got Wood for him

Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Incognito, Dawkins, Clay, O'Leary, Logan   b/u's  Groy, C Kujo, Miller,........Watkins, Benjamin, Woods, Goodwin, Zay Jones, Hogan, Holmes, D Thompson, Salas, 

Taylor b/u EJ and Peterman.

Shady,  M Lynch, JWill, Gillesee, Dimarco or Tolbert as FB. 

Hughes, K Williams, MDareous, Lawson, Alan Branch, A Washington, Alex Carrington,

Paul Pozluzney,  Milano, Ragland, N Bradham, Alonzo-( I am assuming Shady would have still been had for draft pick Chip Kelly requested or a different player than Alonzo)........... b/u's Zach Brown, Preston Brown, Alexander, Humber,   

Darby, Gilmore, Seymour, Cockrel, N Robey-Coleman, Tre White, EJ Gaines(who could have been traded for for low pick) Poyer, Hyde, Searcy,  

Hauska, Schmit and a long snapper, 

That my friends is a perennial playoff team. Especially with Lynn as OC and Schwartz as DC. Some of the guys would be beat out by others on the same positon and some of those cuts would have been tradable. 

I would take above roster over any Bills roster since the Super Bowl years.

Edited by cba fan
error

19 hours ago, Augie said:

Certainly a problem, but the facts are, we are moving forward. You can’t just point to “gone” without mentioning what we got in return. The math ain’t right. 

This is waaaaay too simple of an approach to be negative. Include contract concerns, what we got in return, how they performed with the new team, etc. Then, maybe, it puts things into context. 

The New Era Team ?

If this was all due to regime changes then you'd expect a bunch of those draft picks to have made a name for themselves after leaving Buffalo....but not so much really.  Either the scouting department stinks or the Bills ruined these guys careers before they could escape to other teams.

59 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

If this was all due to regime changes then you'd expect a bunch of those draft picks to have made a name for themselves after leaving Buffalo....but not so much really.  Either the scouting department stinks or the Bills ruined these guys careers before they could escape to other teams.

One would think those "draft picks" would have been replaced with upgrades ! Wouldn't you agree?

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

Plenty are good.

No Jason Peters as they got Wood for him

Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Incognito, Dawkins, Clay, O'Leary, Logan   b/u's  Groy, C Kujo, Miller,........Watkins, Benjamin, Woods, Goodwin, Zay Jones, Hogan, Holmes, D Thompson, Salas, 

Taylor b/u EJ and Peterman.

Shady,  M Lynch, JWill, Gillesee, Dimarco or Tolbert as FB. 

Hughes, K Williams, MDareous, Lawson, Alan Branch, A Washington, Alex Carrington,

Paul Pozluzney,  Milano, Ragland, N Bradham, Alonzo-( I am assuming Shady would have still been had for draft pick Chip Kelly requested or a different player than Alonzo)........... b/u's Zach Brown, Preston Brown, Alexander, Humber,   

Darby, Gilmore, Seymour, Cockrel, N Robey-Coleman, Tre White, EJ Gaines(who could have been traded for for low pick) Poyer, Hyde, Searcy,  

Hauska, Schmit and a long snapper, 

That my friends is a perennial playoff team. Especially with Lynn as OC and Schwartz as DC. Some of the guys would be beat out by others on the same positon and some of those cuts would have been tradable. 

I would take above roster over any Bills roster since the Super Bowl years.

I like your post, but the glaring error once again is.....A QUARTERBACK!

Bills have neglected the one thing that can change a losing season to a winning one from one year to the next.

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Wily Dog said:

I have been here for all of these drafts and their disappointments and the coaching changes. i think we should let Mc Dermott go more than  three years before calling for his head. The same with Beane. We may be surprised. I also think  that the Peterman experiment was justified because of Tyrod's lack of downfield success. The first three of Peterman's interceptions were not his fault. ,One to a back who didn't catch, and two to an unblocked defensive end who disrupted Peterman's arm. I suppose the QB could have taken the sack on the two. and maybe he should have but how many times have we seen that. Peterman may be our QB of the future and he may not. Half a game is in no was a litmus test.

sorry about the typo. , no way a litmus test

I'm all for giving McD 3-4 full years. Let them build this team. And yes Peterman is not near as bad as that performance.  we need so much help on the offensive and defensive  lines it's not even funny...

12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Here we go again......  Give them 3 years, because of all they've proven with their bombast.  

I'd respected them a whole lot more if they said we are going to build on what I see as a team on the cusp mired around .500 and make the Bills a destination spot for players.  

Instead they sold us that this is actually just a terrible team in need of a tear down and we are the saviors.  

Trading the better player in every trade made (outside Benjamin) doesn't instill any confidence because we have no idea if these guys are any good.....  

And again Mathews better then Darby (we got more in the trade so Philly thought Darby is the better player)

And stop it thinking Gaines is any good and better then Watkins.  When healthy Gaines has done a good (not great) job.

Not meaning to say better, just that those picks resulted in starters. 

On 11/23/2017 at 9:09 PM, BillsEnthusiast said:

Man. Goes to show why firing coaches every two years doesn't work at all.

Well this staff has gotten rid of or not resigned 9 of them so really who's fault is that? Its not like these players are sucking...most are playing sizeable roles on other teams...with the exception of AW who was a pro bowl caliber safety before getting injured...guess they should have pulled out the Crystal ball and drafted someone else.