Here's our problem: Draft Rounds 1-3

Rubes

Thank god we have all those picks though. Eventhough we never draft the right guys. If I was running the bills I would have taken the Chiefs 1st and Tyrod and sent it to Washington for Cousins. Then you immediately extend him. That way you have your own 1st left and a bunch of other picks. And you have your qb of the present and future. I don’t want these guys to draft their own qb. I don’t trust them to identify the right one and I certainly don’t expect them to develop one. I don’t know why people are so afraid to trade our picks for proven guys. We never pick the right guys anyway. Use the picks on guys that competent teams already identified and developed. 

It's a simple observation, I know. But at the same time, I don't care that much if we traded guys, dumped guys because of salary, got others to replace them by trade or FA. The point is that we used our top 3 picks on guys who for one reason or another -- poor talent, regime change, didn't fit the system, whatever -- aren't forming the core of this team. How many of those guys made huge contributions to the team before leaving? How many never found another starting job? How many went elsewhere and became long-term starters?

No matter how you look at it, the draft has done far too little for us.

3 hours ago, Rubes said:

2009    1    Aaron Maybin – GONE
2009    1    Eric Wood – Starter
2009    2    Jairus Byrd – GONE
2009    2    Andy Levitre – GONE

2010    1    C.J. Spiller – GONE
2010    2    Torell Troup – GONE
2010    3    Alex Carrington – GONE

2011    1    Marcell Dareus – GONE
2011    2    Aaron Williams – GONE
2011    3    Kelvin Sheppard – GONE

2012    1    Stephon Gilmore – GONE
2012    2    Cordy Glenn – Starter
2012    3    T.J. Graham – GONE

2013    1    EJ Manuel – GONE
2013    2    Robert Woods – GONE
2013    2    Kiko Alonso – GONE
2013    3    Marquise Goodwin – GONE

2014    1    Sammy Watkins – GONE
2014    2    Cyrus Kouandjio – GONE
2014    3    Preston Brown – Starter

2015    1    NONE
2015    2    Ronald Darby – GONE
2015    3    John Miller – NOT EVEN ACTIVE

2016    1    Shaq Lawson – Starter
2016    2    Reggie Ragland – GONE
2016    3    Adolphus Washington – Starter

Gotta build your team around the first three rounds. So few of them left.

I'm right with you 1000%,

This is why you don't toss GM's and HC's every 2 years unless your name is Rex Ryan.

• Like (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

I want to stay with McD and Beane at least 5 years.

Unless you want to replace the OL with players that fit Castillo's scheme , then replace Castillo. 

The biggest priority is getting the best scouting dept possible. Whaley was good at finding available veteran players.

6 hours ago, Rubes said:

2009    1    Aaron Maybin – GONE
2009    1    Eric Wood – Starter
2009    2    Jairus Byrd – GONE
2009    2    Andy Levitre – GONE

2010    1    C.J. Spiller – GONE
2010    2    Torell Troup – GONE
2010    3    Alex Carrington – GONE

2011    1    Marcell Dareus – GONE
2011    2    Aaron Williams – GONE
2011    3    Kelvin Sheppard – GONE

2012    1    Stephon Gilmore – GONE
2012    2    Cordy Glenn – Starter
2012    3    T.J. Graham – GONE

2013    1    EJ Manuel – GONE
2013    2    Robert Woods – GONE
2013    2    Kiko Alonso – GONE
2013    3    Marquise Goodwin – GONE

2014    1    Sammy Watkins – GONE
2014    2    Cyrus Kouandjio – GONE
2014    3    Preston Brown – Starter

2015    1    NONE
2015    2    Ronald Darby – GONE
2015    3    John Miller – NOT EVEN ACTIVE

2016    1    Shaq Lawson – Starter
2016    2    Reggie Ragland – GONE
2016    3    Adolphus Washington – Starter

Gotta build your team around the first three rounds. So few of them left.

We will get there. I expect a big transformation this offseason.

7 hours ago, Rubes said:

It's a simple observation, I know. But at the same time, I don't care that much if we traded guys, dumped guys because of salary, got others to replace them by trade or FA. The point is that we used our top 3 picks on guys who for one reason or another -- poor talent, regime change, didn't fit the system, whatever -- aren't forming the core of this team. How many of those guys made huge contributions to the team before leaving? How many never found another starting job? How many went elsewhere and became long-term starters?

No matter how you look at it, the draft has done far too little for us.

agreed, and great post!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ALF said:

I want to stay with McD and Beane at least 5 years.

Unless you want to replace the OL with players that fit Castillo's scheme , then replace Castillo. 

The biggest priority is getting the best scouting dept possible. Whaley was good at finding available veteran players.

We’ll, don’t expect Wood and Incognito to hang around much longer. I don’t. 

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

And if he goes 6-10, 7-9, 6-10 we just keep the status quo so he can get his 5 years? What if this team doesn’t actually improve under his tutelage? I see no issue in wanting to give a staff time to turn things around but blindly giving him 5 years without actually seeing how this team performs seems wrong.  

What you say is truth, and to post "gotta keep them for 5 years" without any qualifiers is lazy and stupid.  Based on that logic we'd be looking at two plus more years of Rex and Whaley and gosh darn it Brandon wasn't given near enough time running football ops. 

You've put some context around the statement like any intelligent person would.

10 hours ago, Theshallowcross said:

McD will get another year but he should be on a short leash. His decision making skills are a huge question mark right now and his vision of what he wants the team to be as far as roster construction is kind of alarming. 

A head coach lives and dies with his choices for assistant coaches and McD thinking that Rick Dennison was a good idea for his OC is mind boggling. A guy who has never called his own plays and now has been proven to be predictable. If the Bills offense is in shotgun, we pass at an 82% rate. If we're under center we run the ball 72% of the time. That's completely predictable. If the Bills are in shotgun - they're passing. If the QB is under center - they're running. Horrible. The Oline has regressed in both the running game and in pass pro. He changed the scheme completely from taking a power and gap scheme offensive line with players better suited for that scheme and changing it to an unfamiliar zone scheme was an incredibly dumb decision and it shows in the regression of the offense. Dennison was a very poor hire by McD. He needs to make the change next season and hire a young and innovative offensive mind or risk getting fired because of his poor decision. 

As far as the Peterman decision that was a call that he NEVER should have made. His team was 5-4 and the current 6 seed. Benching your starting QB after 2 losses and 2 defensive implosions (now 3) made it seem like he didn't know what he was doing or that he was making Taylor the scapegoat for the catastrophe that is his own defense. That Peterman had the literal worst first half, first start performance in the history of football, just made the narrative that McD has no idea what he is doing all the more glaring. That kid just isn't good. It is what it is. He may be better with a few years on the bench learning but he is not ready and nowhere near the quarterback that Taylor is. 

Let's talk about the Peterman interception to Dimarco just to reiterate how bad Dennison is. Why are you throwing the ball to DiMarco in the first place. He runs a 4.9 40 yard dash and is a full back. That's as dumb as giving anything but goal line and 3rd/4th and short carries to Mike Tolbert. Dennison is awful. 

Having watched Tyrod during his time here I have no problem with the switch. (I also have no problem with the switch back) He ain't the guy. Does Dennison get the best out of him...hell no, but he ain't the guy.  As far as the pass to Dimarco...last time I looked there were typically multiple receivers running multiple routes on any given play. The QB decides where the ball is going based on the defense.  Dennison does need to be replaced and the predictability you point out is one of the top reasons along with not evolving his offense to fit the player pulling the trigger. I don't think he is doing this out of stubbornness, I don't think he has the imagination and vision to do the job.

10 hours ago, Theshallowcross said:

McD will get another year but he should be on a short leash. His decision making skills are a huge question mark right now and his vision of what he wants the team to be as far as roster construction is kind of alarming. 

A head coach lives and dies with his choices for assistant coaches and McD thinking that Rick Dennison was a good idea for his OC is mind boggling. A guy who has never called his own plays and now has been proven to be predictable. If the Bills offense is in shotgun, we pass at an 82% rate. If we're under center we run the ball 72% of the time. That's completely predictable. If the Bills are in shotgun - they're passing. If the QB is under center - they're running. Horrible. The Oline has regressed in both the running game and in pass pro. He changed the scheme completely from taking a power and gap scheme offensive line with players better suited for that scheme and changing it to an unfamiliar zone scheme was an incredibly dumb decision and it shows in the regression of the offense. Dennison was a very poor hire by McD. He needs to make the change next season and hire a young and innovative offensive mind or risk getting fired because of his poor decision. 

As far as the Peterman decision that was a call that he NEVER should have made. His team was 5-4 and the current 6 seed. Benching your starting QB after 2 losses and 2 defensive implosions (now 3) made it seem like he didn't know what he was doing or that he was making Taylor the scapegoat for the catastrophe that is his own defense. That Peterman had the literal worst first half, first start performance in the history of football, just made the narrative that McD has no idea what he is doing all the more glaring. That kid just isn't good. It is what it is. He may be better with a few years on the bench learning but he is not ready and nowhere near the quarterback that Taylor is. 

You are putting the cart in front of the horse. There is absolutely no way you know the things bolded, because nobody knows yet. His "roster construction"? Hasn't even done it yet. He had a garage sale, and hasn't even got a chance to spent the money. Like him or hate him, you don't get to judge a "roster construction" that hasn't even happened yet.

And the "kid just isn't good"? Come on now, you think 30 minutes is all you need to evaluate a qb? I have no idea how Peterman will be, but you don't either.

You present premature opinions as if they are certifiable facts.

• Like (+1) 1