Is the media the problem here?

freeagentqb

Nope, being nice to these players and coaches would not make any of the any better.

Wait is this like a Schrodingers cat type scenario, if noone watched the Bills they both suck and don't suck? Is it all of our fault for watching them and seeing them suck?

5 hours ago, bobm said:

Trying to figure out what our problems are. Bills and Sabres - many, many different players, coaches and staff and schemes, etc. We still lose in spite of all these changes and still have a fragile loser mentality which seems to snowball at any hint of adversity. What is the constant or common denominator? - Maybe, just maybe the constant in all of this is the constant negative media and coverage that continually pick at any sore wound. I'm starting to believe its affecting all of us and our teams with a not good enough, never win, here we go again attitude. Negativity reigns supreme. Just my humble opinion.

You sir, see with clear eyes. 

5 hours ago, bobm said:

Trying to figure out what our problems are. Bills and Sabres - many, many different players, coaches and staff and schemes, etc. We still lose in spite of all these changes and still have a fragile loser mentality which seems to snowball at any hint of adversity. What is the constant or common denominator? - Maybe, just maybe the constant in all of this is the constant negative media and coverage that continually pick at any sore wound. I'm starting to believe its affecting all of us and our teams with a not good enough, never win, here we go again attitude. Negativity reigns supreme. Just my humble opinion.

Yes, the media is largely to blame for the state of the Bills and the Sabres.  But the real question isn't is the media to blame but why??  In order to answer that question we have to look at who controls the media and what possible reason could they have for trying to gugny WNY in the ass?  Who might El Pegual have crossed on his way to esatablishing a natural gas empire and owning BOTH the Bills AND the Sabres despite NFL bylaws which expressly forbid owning two franchises in the same market. 

I can't say too much here, but it rhymes with pon chovi, and boodell, backed by bladameer bootin. 

31 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

Nope, being nice to these players and coaches would not make any of the any better.

Wait is this like a Schrodingers cat type scenario, if noone watched the Bills they both suck and don't suck? Is it all of our fault for watching them and seeing them suck?

Schrodinger's cat might be the most famous pet not named Gere's Gerbil.  Both suffered awful fates for science. 

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

you know nedboy, I don't know how long you've been a fan but not only the last couple decades but the last three games this season alone can and has turned the fans sour. maybe you're a glutton for punishment? for you to question those fans, call them pathetic or question their mental stability is showing a very weak observation on your part and at the end of the day you should actually question yourself on your pathetic opinion of those fans. why in the world would you even let it bother you? if you want to drink the kool-aide and praise the team who is and has been losing year in and year out, that is your prerogative.  just as it is their prerogative who don't drink the kool-aide or support the incompetence that has been the buffalo bills for all of the 21st century.

just a suggestion, if you can't take it, why come here just to complain about it?

I been watching every single game for 20 years plus.  I lived in Buffalo during the 4 SB years.  Let me ask you.... If you cant take it why do you watch anymore.  I hear what you are saying.  I come across a little judgemental.  But at least I'm not mental. 

25 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I been watching every single game for 20 years plus.  I lived in Buffalo during the 4 SB years.  Let me ask you.... If you cant take it why do you watch anymore.  I hear what you are saying.  I come across a little judgemental.  But at least I'm not mental. 

well, to be honest. I did get through the jets debacle. I did not watch all of the saints game, think it was mid third, had enough. last week when they went up 47-10 late in the third, closed the browser.

I saw no reason to partake/watch a beat down, annihilation.

no, I watch for obvious reasons, one being a fan. however, I wont be calling anyone pathetic or question their mental stability because they don't see it my way. I didn't question watching, I questioned why come here to the board if some posts are of a negative nature and allow it to bug you to the point of insult?

after near about 45 years, I feel I can criticize just the same as I can praise. there has been more criticism and justifiably so in the last two decades. after you see these three year carousals so many times fail, it can be hard to put much stock in to whether they finally succeed.

I'll hang in there though.  you hang in there yourself nedboy, don't let the critics/haters/agenda group/negative nancies get you down, man.

There might be something to your idea, OP.  There were certainly negative vibes in the media -- including radio call-in shows and electronic media like this MB -- about Watkins, Dareus, and Taylor, and two of them were traded while Taylor was benched.   Fans whined about Taylor being too conservative, so they had Peterman try to throw downfield like he was a veteran QB.

Or maybe the media is negative because both teams have been so terrible.

What the OP is saying is like claiming that more cops is causing higher crime rates, while the real answer is that there are more cops in certain neighborhoods precisely because the crime rate is higher in those areas.

22 hours ago, bobm said:

The media is negative because the teams suck.  Not the other way around.

I think the topic is a bit more complicated than many think.

My quick answer to the OP's claim is no; the media is not the problem for the Buffalo teams' continued failures.

But media does have influence over all people. As McLuhan once said, "All media work us over completely. They are so pervasive in their personal, political, economic, aesthetic, psychological, moral, ethical, and social consequences, that they leave no part of us untouched, unaffected, unaltered. The medium is the massage.”  McLuhan was referring to all media forms, along with what we call "the media," but nonetheless, we are all touched by its presence.

This includes owners, players, coaches, etc.

Furthermore, I do not think those who claim immunity to media are being completely honest (especially while simultaneously posting messages through a media interface).

In simple terms, if those at the highest places of power use media and are influenced by media, then why wouldn't people like Pegula, McDermott, or any player be influenced by its power. For instance, there may be a correlation between Twitter and performance. In other words, a mass influx of positive comments through social media may inspire  while a mass influx of negative may produce negativity.

I realize many are skeptical of this possibility, but I think that revolves the concept of the individual who "sees through" media or plays the role of what Reinhold Niebuhr calls the "cool observer."  Again, I find this dishonest. 

And again, I disagree with the OP's central claim, but it is not an entirely worthless premise.

41 minutes ago, leonbus23 said:

And again, I disagree with the OP's central claim, but it is not an entirely worthless premise.

I disagree.  Simply look back to when the Bills were 5-2 (seems so long ago, doesn't it).  Except for worthless people such as Sully, the media, national as well as local, were loving McCoach and the Bills.  Because they were winning and looking pretty good doing it.  Fast forward 3 [very long] weeks after the Bills look like a steaming pile of crap all 3 games and the talk is now about the mistakes, lack of talent, ill advised trades and so on.  Nothing complicated at all.  The media (except as noted, the Sully types and also any shills owned by the team) is a reflection of the team.  Not a driving force in determining the season for the team.

5 hours ago, leonbus23 said:

I think the topic is a bit more complicated than many think.

My quick answer to the OP's claim is no; the media is not the problem for the Buffalo teams' continued failures.

But media does have influence over all people. As McLuhan once said, "All media work us over completely. They are so pervasive in their personal, political, economic, aesthetic, psychological, moral, ethical, and social consequences, that they leave no part of us untouched, unaffected, unaltered. The medium is the massage.”  McLuhan was referring to all media forms, along with what we call "the media," but nonetheless, we are all touched by its presence.

This includes owners, players, coaches, etc.

Furthermore, I do not think those who claim immunity to media are being completely honest (especially while simultaneously posting messages through a media interface).

In simple terms, if those at the highest places of power use media and are influenced by media, then why wouldn't people like Pegula, McDermott, or any player be influenced by its power. For instance, there may be a correlation between Twitter and performance. In other words, a mass influx of positive comments through social media may inspire  while a mass influx of negative may produce negativity.

I realize many are skeptical of this possibility, but I think that revolves the concept of the individual who "sees through" media or plays the role of what Reinhold Niebuhr calls the "cool observer."  Again, I find this dishonest. 

In the Bills case.........they also feed the media negative takes when it suits them as well. 

I was shocked by the very pointed, non-stop trashing of Marcell Dareus all preseason by Bills talking heads on radio...........that would have never been allowed if they didn't want it out there.

They've done their share of groundwork laying and it has VERY MUCH influenced much of this fanbase into buying whatever they had to sell.