McDermott: "In the Hunt"

26CornerBlitz

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

There’s lots of ways to build a franchise into a contender.  In your opinion McBeane took the wrong approach.  Others here agree with you.  Others disagree.  No one is right.  No one is wrong.  Wait and see.  Not sure what the argument is at this point.  Just bitterness because suck, while we could’ve possibly been a playoff team this year and been stuck with bad salaries (dareus) and potentially lost or overpaid players in the coming years (Sammy, Darby).  I’ve seen us lose enough games with those guys.  I’ll take the picks and hope these guys get the guys that they’re looking for and pay them a fraction of the amount while being under contract for 4-5 years.  

We’re on the couch.  They’re getting paid  It’s going to stay that way for awhile.  Hopefully a long while.  I understand everyone’s frustration.  I really do.  I’m frustrated as well.  I’m just happy to see these guys have a plan. We’ve been spinning the wheels for 2 decades.  To me, this doesn’t seem like spinning of the wheels.  I hope I’m wrong.  We’ll see

I think the fact that the consistently best organizations in the NFL got to their lofty status from a previous state of mediocrity says it all.

That and the fact that all but 1 of the 7 active QB's that have won SB's were not drafted early in round 1......Eli is the only one drafted in the top 8 picks....... and he's not played like a HOF'er year-in-and-year-out like most of those other guys.

No matter where you draft you have to make good decisions...........tanking simply has not yielded results in the past couple decades in the NFL.........I can't say for certain that one COULDN'T win by taking multiple steps back but the reality is facts do not support the conclusion that it's a good decision to attempt it.

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think the fact that the consistently best organizations in the NFL got to their lofty status from a previous state of mediocrity says it all.

That and the fact that all but 1 of the 7 active QB's that have won SB's were not drafted early in round 1......Eli is the only one drafted in the top 8 picks....... and he's not played like a HOF'er year-in-and-year-out like most of those other guys.

No matter where you draft you have to make good decisions...........tanking simply has not yielded results in the past couple decades in the NFL.........I can't say for certain that one COULDN'T win by taking multiple steps back but the reality is facts do not support the conclusion that it's a good decision to attempt it.

That’s fair.  I really don’t see this regime “tanking”.  Our performance the last 3 weeks may say something different, I just don’t see that as what they are trying to accomplish. I think they took a look at the big picture, the future. They didn’t like that sammy was a primadonna and wanted to get PAID, all while not being able to stay healthy and on the field.  Getting a 2nd rd pick that will be on a cheap contract for 4 years along with Darbys replacement was a win.  Dareus was the highest paid player on the team by a good margin, while being a rotational.  Getting any draft pick for him was a plus.  Darby up for a huge contract after next year made him expendable while gaining a pick and Sammy’s replacement for the season.  They want their type players at a value as opposed to overpaying players that contributed to our drought.  

We were a competitive team for almost half the season and still have 6 games to go.  These 6 games may be brutal, but you never know.  Maybe the switch will flip and they turn it around.  Before the season and after the trades it may have seemed like a tank, but the result hasn’t shown a tank (yet anyway).  

As always, time will tell and how they draft will determine the regimes fate.  This past draft made me a believer in McDs draft strategy.  I’m interested to see how McD, Beane and the all star scouting dept we’ve put together can come together and draft.