A Silver Lining...

GreggTX

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

They need 3/4 of a defensive line, three linebackers and three or four offensive linemen. 

Plus a quarterback.  

There aren't enough draft picks to fill all those holes.   And I don't what free agents will be interested in a team that collapsed under its rookie head coach. 

I think the future for the next couple of years is bleak.   Happy to be convinced otherwise, but the only convincing I'm buying is on the field.  First test is whether McDermott can turn this season around.   KC is reeling, and they'll probably beat the Bills.   How early inthe first half do you think the Pats game will be over?   Is there any question that it's over by halftime?  

I agree with you assessment of the current/near future state of the Bills.  I thought it was pretty clear, from the onset of the McBeane era, that this was "the process."  It's necessary.  It needed to be torn down and it needed (needs) to get worse before it gets better.

Personally, I think it's a better plan than the Ralph Wilson MO of just keeping the team "good enough," to provide false hope when season tickets went up for sale.

No more "one big FA splash signings," to excite desperate fans.

They're doing it right and it's going to take 2-3 years.  The sooner fans come to terms with that, the more they'll be able to watch it happen.

Go Bills!

37 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I agree with you assessment of the current/near future state of the Bills.  I thought it was pretty clear, from the onset of the McBeane era, that this was "the process."  It's necessary.  It needed to be torn down and it needed (needs) to get worse before it gets better.

Personally, I think it's a better plan than the Ralph Wilson MO of just keeping the team "good enough," to provide false hope when season tickets went up for sale.

No more "one big FA splash signings," to excite desperate fans.

They're doing it right and it's going to take 2-3 years.  The sooner fans come to terms with that, the more they'll be able to watch it happen.

Go Bills!

We have no idea if they are doing it right, yet. Looks like the same ineptitude to me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JM2009 said:

We have no idea if they are doing it right, yet. Looks like the same ineptitude to me.

I think it looks like that to fans who insist on instant gratification, when that isn't a realistic expectation.

On 11/23/2017 at 9:19 AM, Gugny said:

I think it looks like that to fans who insist on instant gratification, when that isn't a realistic expectation.

While I insist on instant gratification, i do disagree with the assessment that "the whole things needs to be tore down" or whatever.

MCDermott took over the 10th highest scoring offense. He took over a D that was mismanaged, but had 2 years before with a lot of the same guys was top 5. Over the 3 previous seasons we were exactly .500 ( 24-24).  Not good enough, bur far from bottom of the barrel IMHO.

However now that we've run off a lot of talent that will need to get replaced, feels more like we're spinning our wheels. We'll see.

I would have rather seen us build on what we have, but that doesn't appear to get the plan.

On 11/23/2017 at 9:19 AM, Gugny said:

While I insist on instant gratification, i do disagree with the assessment that "the whole things needs to be tore down" or whatever.

MCDermott took over the 10th highest scoring offense. He took over a D that was mismanaged, but had 2 years before with a lot of the same guys was top 5. Over the 3 previous seasons we were exactly .500 ( 24-24).  Not good enough, bur far from bottom of the barrel IMHO.

However now that we've run off a lot of talent that will need to get replaced, feels more like we're spinning our wheels. We'll see.

I would have rather seen us build on what we have, but that doesn't appear to get the plan.

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I've felt like this at times, too.  But I've agreed with the majority of the purge, solely because I think this regime wants to find its own QB via the draft and by the time that QB is ready to win, a lot of the inherited talent would be past their primes.  I wish they'd have kept Woods, but understood the price tag ramifications.  Dareus is another I'd have like to have seen them keep, but it was obvious that McD had a hard on for him from day one.  I really think he was a keeper.  Why they kept McCoy and Kyle Williams is beyond me.  Those two will be retired by the time the Bills are playoff ready.

Building on what we had would require a competent QB.  I know that you and I don't see eye to eye on Tyrod, but it's pretty clear that McBeane are on my side for this one.

Drafting Sam Watkins was irresponsible.  Even if he wasn't the primmma donnna that he is with the "me first" attitude that he has, the kid's got talent.  But as Matt Millen taught any future GM paying attention, drafting great receivers without having a decent QB is like buying the most expensive tires available for a car that doesn't have an engine.

I think Beane is doing it right.  I believe in the process and I'm willing to wait 2-3 years.  

Changing the regime during that time span, to me, would be counterproductive.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Building on what we had would require a competent QB.  I know that you and I don't see eye to eye on Tyrod, but it's pretty clear that McBeane are on my side for this one.

I absolutely agree we need a better QB. Where you and I disagreed is that I think Hotrod a the best we got, so we should go with him instead of a 5th round rookie. Yes I know Tommy was a 6th rounder be he didn't play as a rookie.

My fear is they surely can clean house, but can they re stock the house? McDermott's ability to determine who is a good QB or not, is now highly suspect.  When he says a guy is ready and can help us get to playoffs and that QB has the worst performance in NFL history, makes me wonder about his QB evaluations.

They bet the ranch on the draft. I hope they can deliver ...

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I absolutely agree we need a better QB. Where you and I disagreed is that I think Hotrod a the best we got, so we should go with him instead of a 5th round rookie. Yes I know Tommy was a 6th rounder be he didn't play as a rookie.

My fear is they surely can clean house, but can they re stock the house? McDermott's ability to determine who is a good QB or not, is now highly suspect.  When he says a guy is ready and can help us get to playoffs and that QB has the worst performance in NFL history, makes me wonder about his QB evaluations.

They bet the ranch on the draft. I hope they can deliver ...

I really don't think McD, or anyone, thought or thinks that Peterman is better/more ready than Tyrod.

I do, however, think that McD (like me) is convinced that Tyrod will definitely NOT be the long term answer, so he wants to see what Petemeran has.

It's not about winning games.  It's too late for that.  It's about assessment.  And you can't assess a QB solely on practice, preseason and/or garbage time.

Just now, Gugny said:

It's not about winning games.  It's too late for that.  It's about assessment.  And you can't assess a QB solely on practice, preseason and/or garbage time.

How is it too late to win? 

We're in 7th position tied record wise for 6th.

It's time to win.

I think this drought has made Bills fans forget how winning and playoffs work.  Giving up and saying it's too late to win with 7 to play holding down a WC spot proves it.

Woe is us. LOL

Just now, reddogblitz said:

How is it too late to win? 

We're in 7th position tied record wise for 6th.

It's time to win.

I think this drought has made Bills fans forget how winning and playoffs work.  Giving up and saying it's too late to win with 7 to play holding down a WC spot proves it.

Woe is us. LOL

Woe isn't me.  I knew this team sucked in the preseason and predicted 4 wins.

There is no way in HELL this team goes to the playoffs.

Sunday is a loss.  Both NE games are losses.  So that kills it right there.

This isn't about fans giving up (which has no impact on the team at all).  It's about a pure ****, old ass roster taking the field with no QB, WR, O line, D line or Linebackers.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Woe isn't me.  I knew this team sucked in the preseason and predicted 4 wins.

There is no way in HELL this team goes to the playoffs.

Sunday is a loss.  Both NE games are losses.  So that kills it right there.

This isn't about fans giving up (which has no impact on the team at all).  It's about a pure ****, old ass roster taking the field with no QB, WR, O line, D line or Linebackers.

Pardon me if I take the rest of your predictions with a shaker of salt based on you pre season prediction. Couldn't be much more wrong when we surpassed your win total in week 7 :lol: ...

Edited by reddogblitz

23 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Pardon me if I take the rest of your predictions with a shaker of salt based on you pre season prediction. Couldn't be much more wrong when we surpassed your win total in week 7 :lol: ...

I don't think I'll be too far off.  Pardon me if I didn't foresee the defense having a ridiculously lucky (anyone who watched the games will agree they were lucky)  turnover differential on the way to 5-2.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I don't think I'll be too far off.  Pardon me if I didn't foresee the defense having a ridiculously lucky (anyone who watched the games will agree they were lucky)  turnover differential on the way to 5-2.

How exactly were we lucky?

I hear this over and over. But what I remember from early season turnovers is they were the result of heads up play. Somebody put a hat on the football causing a fumble vs Raiders. That's not luck, that's a text book hit. The Tredavian Nightmare got his 1st career pick vs Denver due to the QB making a bad pass under a heavy pass rush. That's not luck, that's good team defense.

Please help me out Gug. Can you identify a few of these "lucky" turnovers and how they were a result of luck as opposed to skill?

Edited by reddogblitz

How many tipped passes (mind you, those change trajectory) landed in Hyde's hands?

Tre's INT was legit.  I'll give you that.  But we won that game primarily because of Von Miller being an undisciplined idiot and the refs making a ridiculous unsportsmanlike call.

The defense has sucked for the majority of the season.  Especially since Dareus left.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The defense has sucked for the majority of the season.  Especially since Dareus left

I will give you that.  

But we were in the top 5 in points given up the first  several games. Our D PLayed well vs Jets, Carolina, Atlanta, Broncos,  and Raiders. They weren't that bad against the Bungles either. It's really only been bad the last 3 weeks when it has been horrible and coincides with Mr Big Stuff's exit.

Edited by reddogblitz