A Silver Lining...

GreggTX

...In a dark cloud. The Bills have been awful lately, but unnoticed during this swan dive is the fact that both of our 2nd round picks are starting to step up their play -- especially Dawkins. He has been particularly strong these past 2 Sundays according to PFF which put him in the top 3 performers at LT while Mills was getting eaten alive. Say hello to your new LT. If Glenn's foot gets back to normal and he's moved to RT, we'll have solid bookends for years to come.

Zay Jones' rise hasn't been as dramatic because of the hyperextended knee, but he looks like he's 'attacking' the ball rather than waiting for it to arrive and give defenders a chance to get a hand in the way.

Throw in the fact that White has been playing as well as any rookie and perhaps we've got a good start on an improved roster for 2018.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well I'm desperate for a silver lining right about now, and I think you're right.   However, the cloud's a whole lot darker than that, my friend.   

Whenever you feel that way, just remember that we gave away a lot of underproducing talent and have yet to cash in on the extra cap space and draft picks. You gotta factor that into the equation.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Big C said:

Other positive is that Cadet looks like the backup RB we have been messing. 

Maybe so. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded Shady and signed or drafted a much younger replacement for next year either.

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I think what you're not understanding is how sad it is that that's all we really have going for us. 

We have a lot of good young talent in the secondary and a fair WR corps. We still have great picks coming up in the draft and we've freed up cap space by moving underachievers.

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Whenever you feel that way, just remember that we gave away a lot of underproducing talent and have yet to cash in on the extra cap space and draft picks. You gotta factor that into the equation.

They need 3/4 of a defensive line, three linebackers and three or four offensive linemen. 

Plus a quarterback.  

There aren't enough draft picks to fill all those holes.   And I don't what free agents will be interested in a team that collapsed under its rookie head coach. 

I think the future for the next couple of years is bleak.   Happy to be convinced otherwise, but the only convincing I'm buying is on the field.  First test is whether McDermott can turn this season around.   KC is reeling, and they'll probably beat the Bills.   How early inthe first half do you think the Pats game will be over?   Is there any question that it's over by halftime?  

28 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

They need 3/4 of a defensive line, three linebackers and three or four offensive linemen. 

Plus a quarterback.  

There aren't enough draft picks to fill all those holes.   And I don't what free agents will be interested in a team that collapsed under its rookie head coach. 

I think the future for the next couple of years is bleak.   Happy to be convinced otherwise, but the only convincing I'm buying is on the field.  First test is whether McDermott can turn this season around.   KC is reeling, and they'll probably beat the Bills.   How early inthe first half do you think the Pats game will be over?   Is there any question that it's over by halftime?  

Can't stay on topic can you? OP's was this years draft

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

...In a dark cloud. The Bills have been awful lately, but unnoticed during this swan dive is the fact that both of our 2nd round picks are starting to step up their play -- especially Dawkins. He has been particularly strong these past 2 Sundays according to PFF which put him in the top 3 performers at LT while Mills was getting eaten alive. Say hello to your new LT. If Glenn's foot gets back to normal and he's moved to RT, we'll have solid bookends for years to come.

Zay Jones' rise hasn't been as dramatic because of the hyperextended knee, but he looks like he's 'attacking' the ball rather than waiting for it to arrive and give defenders a chance to get a hand in the way.

Throw in the fact that White has been playing as well as any rookie and perhaps we've got a good start on an improved roster for 2018.

Erm, from what I saw, Dawkins spent much of Sunday being pancaked, punched in the throat and otherwise shunted aside by Bosa.  I don't know where PFF gets its grades but IMHO the LT's job is to keep defenders off his QB and if he doesn't get it done, he didn't make the grade.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan