Reggie Ragland's play for the chiefs

berg1029

With the Bills playing the Chiefs, it seems like an appropriate time to bring this up.  Ragland appears to be getting more and more playing time with the Chiefs.  Last week, he was in nearly an even timeshare for snaps with Derrick Johnson (Ragland 47 snaps vs Johnson 51 snaps out of 68 total Giant's offensive snaps) and led the team in tackles (including one TFL).  It is also worth noting that the Giants averaged 3.5 yards/carry vs a season long average of 4.0 yards/carry.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/11/20/16680936/chiefs-andy-reid-roundup-whats-missing-at-wr-reggie-ragland-a-rookie-parker-ehinger

Only time will tell whether this was a good trade or not, but what do you all think?  Was he just a bad fit in the Frazier defense?  Will he end up being a solid player?  Was the trade for a fourth round draft pick a good decision?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, berg1029 said:

With the Bills playing the Chiefs, it seems like an appropriate time to bring this up.  Ragland appears to be getting more and more playing time with the Chiefs.  Last week, he was in nearly an even timeshare for snaps with Derrick Johnson (Ragland 47 snaps vs Johnson 51 snaps out of 68 total Giant's offensive snaps) and led the team in tackles (including one TFL).  It is also worth noting that the Giants averaged 3.5 yards/carry vs a season long average of 4.0 yards/carry.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/11/20/16680936/chiefs-andy-reid-roundup-whats-missing-at-wr-reggie-ragland-a-rookie-parker-ehinger

Only time will tell whether this was a good trade or not, but what do you all think?  Was he just a bad fit in the Frazier defense?  Will he end up being a solid player?  Was the trade for a fourth round draft pick a good decision?

Personally, I wasn’t a Ragland guy so I’m fine with the trade. I said it at the time and if I prove to be wrong so be it. I’m not going to use hindsight to pretend my opinion is different.

I would've liked to have still had him on the roster. Especially the way our defense is playing now, maybe he could've added some depth. 

Who knows, though.... Dareus was the real tipping point for the D, so Ragland probably wouldn't make a difference anywhere.

18 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

If we were still running a 3-4 defense, Ragland would not have been traded. Thats what happens when you switch defenses every other year 

and keep picking players to fit a scheme....You have to pick the best players available and adjust your scheme.  

This week - the KC play-by-play guys were on John Murphy Show and they said Ragland  has an explosive side to him that has been getting better.

They also said the obvious -  that their Defensive scheme, same as Rex Ryan's, is what makes Ragland more valuable to them than the Bills.

Truthfully I was excited when we drafted him and he had looked good when attending Training Camp.

54 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

I'll freely admit I am too lazy to read the article.  But quick question here, how did he have a time share with Derrick Johnson when they both are starting ILB in the 3-4 the Chiefs run?  Not being a jerk just trying to understand, is there another ILB they run out there as well?

Also just checked the stats.  He looks to have 20 tackles in 7 games, no sacks, no PD, no INT, no nothing.  I am not going to put up to much of a fuss over a guy who would be on pace for 45 tackles and not a blip on any other part of the stat sheet over the entire season.

Edited by thenorthremembers

5 minutes ago, ganesh said:

and keep picking players to fit a scheme....You have to pick the best players available and adjust your scheme.  

Every new coach says he will adjust his scheme to fit the players already on the roster.  Then they don't.  I think it's a travesty.

Every new coach ends up dumping most of the players and getting THEIR guys for THEIR scheme.  Trust the process. 

It will take three years just to find out if the new coach's scheme is any good.  And then you realize it isn't, so you start over.

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I'll freely admit I am too lazy to read the article.  But quick question here, how did he have a time share with Derrick Johnson when they both are starting ILB in the 3-4 the Chiefs run?  Not being a jerk just trying to understand, is there another ILB they run out there as well?

Not surprisingly, I don't have a play by play listing of where DJ was vs where RR was.  But if I had to take a guess, it is that they occasionally shared the field and weren't strictly rotating in for one another.

edit:  the article also notes that they are a part of a 3 way rotation also involving Kevin Pierre-Louis

Edited by berg1029

Ragland, Johnson and our Brown are all slow"er" linebackers.

It really depends on what you want them to do.  Run defense?  Awesome.  Defend the pass?  You probably want some more speed.  

The future is not Reggie Ragland.  It's more in the direction of Deone Bucannon.  

As a 3-4 run stopping ILB Rags is good money. Hes not the type of athlete that would succeed in a 4-3 defense coming off an ACL tear and not playing football for a year where hes going from college to pro. Its been a touch road for him to be in game shape. Wish em the best.

• Like (+1) 1