Prescott vs Peterman

Billzgobowlin

Even though Prescott came in due to an injury, there was still a lot of people second guessing the move and predicting complete failure. Many still blamed the lack of post season success on the decision to play Prescott over Romo.  The biggest difference is that Prescott succeeded for the most part and Peterman had 5 picks in the first half. If Peterman had performed better, McDermott would be hailed as a bold genius and the media would stop the "I told you so" rants.

There is still a chance this could happen if he came in and had success going forward, but the risk becomes greater each time he struggles and eventually outweighs the reward.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Romo was injured to start the year. Prescott came out of the gate winning football games. You don't pull the hot hand. 

Yet you have a first rounder in Sanchez on the bench?  No one knew Prescott at that point and the media didn't criticize that at all compared to Peterman, that's my point.

3 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Yet you have a first rounder in Sanchez on the bench?  No one knew Prescott at that point and the media didn't criticize that at all compared to Peterman, that's my point.

By then Sanchez was hot garbage. Didn't watch Prescot in preseason or practices. Maybe he looked good? Also the change wasn't made in the middle of the season while holding a playoff spot. 

Edited by Scott7975

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Even though Prescott came in due to an injury, there was still a lot of people second guessing the move and predicting complete failure. Many still blamed the lack of post season success on the decision to play Prescott over Romo.  The biggest difference is that Prescott succeeded for the most part and Peterman had 5 picks in the first half. If Peterman had performed better, McDermott would be hailed as a bold genius and the media would stop the "I told you so" rants.

There is still a chance this could happen if he came in and had success going forward, but the risk becomes greater each time he struggles and eventually outweighs the reward.

Prescott also didn't have matadors as Tackles too.  I think people do get caught up on the number total of INTs and I get that but if some of these sports reporters or former NFL QBs weren't lazy and reviewed the film they would have realized what really happened.  Reporters today are just plain lazy especially on the national level.  

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It should be enough to shut up all the people who keep telling me left tackle isn't the important position it used to be in the NFL and it's all about offensive weapons these days and guys who can make plays.  

To me the Quarterback is the most important guy on the field.  Joint second is the guy you employ to keep your QB protected (primarily his blindside protector at Left Tackle) and the guy you employ to get the opponents Quarterback on the floor.  I'm not quite Bill from NYC in thinking that receivers and corners are ten a penny (or 10 a cent presumably in US money) a lockdown corner and a #1WR are next on the list.... but it starts with your QB, your LT and your pass rusher.  

The OL in general has taken a dramatic step down. Glenn has been hurt for most of the year and Dawkins has at times been overwhelmed. However, he does show go athleticism. Incongnito two years ago was one of the best guards in the league. Now he is much diminished. He's still a wily player. Wood is hardnosed but an average center. The RG and RT players are less than mediocre. 

The bottom line is you can go up and down the lineup on both sides of the ball and collectively conclude that this is a very second-rate roster. That's why the roster is being rebuilt. On top of this collection of pedestrian players this franchise hasn't had a franchise qb for almost a quarter century, and still don't. How anyone can honestly believe that this is a playoff team is beyond me!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

By then Sanchez was hot garbage. Didn't watch Prescot in preseason or practices. Also the change wasn't made in the middle of the season while holding a playoff spot. 

True but the big thing I have kept hearing is how could they let a 5th rounder start and in the same breath mention if it were Mahomes they would understand

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I subscribe to BPA, but will find it tough not to be pissed if there are no OL taken with one of those top 5 picks in April. 

The good news is on early inspection I think the 2018 OL class promises to be better than the putrid 2017 OL class.  The bad news is it is still not the deepest.  

43 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Have you ever watched the Twilight Zone or X-Files on TV? You have to have a "Cosmic" mentality to appreciate the shows.:ph34r:

A little bit but not religiously. Stranger Things is my go to for shows like that.

40 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

This thread wasn't started to provide crazy assumptions but rather to elicit some thought about why it was taboo for a 5th round rookie to start and not a 4th rounder.  And the Cowboys did have a former first round pick in Mark Sanchez on the team when they decided to go with Prescott.

It’s not that complicated though. Prescott played against the 1’s in preseason with Romo INJURED and was great. The year started and Romo was INJURED. They started 6-1 and Prescott was great. It’s apples and oranges. If you replaced the words Prescott with Peterman and Romo with Tyrod in the above no one would argue it. The situation is totally different.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The good news is on early inspection I think the 2018 OL class promises to be better than the putrid 2017 OL class.  The bad news is it is still not the deepest.  

That is good news. It only takes one. Right now, I think Dawkins is our most consistent OL if considering availability and ability. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A little bit but not religiously. Stranger Things is my go to for shows like that.

Leggo my Eggos. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s not that complicated though. Prescott played against the 1’s in preseason with Romo INJURED and was great. The year started and Romo was INJURED. They started 6-1 and Prescott was great. It’s apples and oranges. If you replaced the words Prescott with Peterman and Romo with Tyrod in the above no one would argue it. The situation is totally different.

Agreed

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree.

The majority of people believed that the Bills were on the precipice of success. That tracks the same foolhardy over-assessment of the roster that Whaley had. Every year he would make moves, sometimes gratuitously giving up picks, to get this bedraggled team over the hump. The reality  was that the hump was of a mountainous size. What people fail to recognize was that the wrestling coach was not hired to add on to Whaley's roster, he was brought in to demolish it and start from scratch. Not only was the roster  being demolished but so was the organization that the former GM put together. Every single scout on his staff was let go. What does that tell you about the confidence that the owner had in DW's handiwork?

The Bills are involved in a major rebuild. This is not a quick fix. I see a three to four year project. I understand why people are so frustrated. But those people who believed that this was a serious team before the season began were deluding themselves. Understandably their fires got stoked with a good start. It was essentially a sugar high. The reality is that McDermott aggressively stripped down this team and accumulated picks. He didn't do it because he thought the team was close to being successful. He did it because he made a judicious assessment of the roster and knew he had to do a major demolition before he could start the construction. 

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I was thinking about it this morning and with Sunday's game not withstanding why was the media so critical of Buffalo replacing Taylor but not the Cowboys replacing Romo.  The Cowboys were a playoff team with Romo there and it wasn't like Prescott was a top pick (he was 4th as opposed to Peterman being a 5th).  Got me also thinking if Peterman were in Dallas would he have done well with a decent O line.  People are complaining that Prescott struggled because he was missing Tyron, well replace his whole line with ours.  I think Peterman should be given time like Prescott to figure it out and if they don't make the playoffs it will be partial the team around him like defense and Oline and not just QB.  Let's face it Taylor doesn't win in this league unless this defense plays better and the O line can figure out pass protection(it wasn't like Peterman was holding onto the ball too long).

Interesting points. 

First, the situation is different.    Romo suffered a fractured vertebra in a preseason game and went on IR for 10 weeks.   So their backup had to start.  Taylor was a healthy scratch.

Second, Prescott had shown himself to be quite effective in preseason: 39-50 454 (78%) 9.1 AY/A, 5 TD, 0 INT, 2 sacks, rating 137.8

Here for comparison are Peterman's stats: 43-79 453 (54%) 5.7 AY/A, 1 TD, 0 INT, 4 sacks rating 75.6.

I grant you there's no sign in those stats of last Sunday's implosion, but there's also nothing to make you think (as with Prescott) "Wow, this kid's got it!".

That is why the media is critical: no choice due to injury, vs choice to change QB while the team has a winning record, and epically poor run D appears to be the most significant problem. 

A better OL would help any QB, not just Peterman, so where would be the logic in blaming the line for the performance of one QB, but not for another who has objectively much better stats?  I do not get the Peterman love.

13 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

You have to have a "Cosmic" mentality to appreciate the Bills.

You are so right. It can be so hard at times! It just seems to unfair. The "Why Me" syndrome does constantly come up. If you don't have a sense of humor and perspective you will be miserable. :(

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

The first pick was a big momentum changer and then things snowballed.  As you indicate, the big difference between Prescott and Peterman is that Prescott has the best O line in the league in front of him. 

I think the Bills will draft a QB day 1 or 2 next spring.  And I think Peterman will be the starter opening day next year.

Um, no, the big difference between Prescott and Peterman is that Prescott showed signs of being a very good QB in preseason.

Peterman did some nice things, but overall "meh"

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um, no, the big difference between Prescott and Peterman is that Prescott showed signs of being a very good QB in preseason.

Peterman did some nice things, but overall "meh"

Maybe unfairly but I think the end of the Saints game played into Peterman starting last week.