Decision on starter vs. Chiefs is the fork in the road

10 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I know, I probably sound irrational.  Just jaded.  I think Hunt may run for close to 200 yards though, right up the gut

Without a doubt!

Two MAJOR problems on this team: OLINE and DLINE. Who's playing QB is pretty irrelevant with both lines so bad right now. I say go with Peterman and see if he can bounce back from this.

11 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

The team that scored 9 points against the Giants?  They haven't exactly been lighting it up on offense

The chargers were averaging 16 points a game prior the dropping 54.  Do you realize how bad our D (and O) is right now?  Kind of hard not to know. Anyone with a good qb and decent pass rush can drop 60 on us at the moment

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

The chargers were averaging 16 points a game prior the dropping 54.  Do you realize how bad our D (and O) is right now?  Kind of hard not to know. Anyone with a good qb and decent pass rush can drop 60 on us at the moment

If you are comparing the Chargers and Chiefs, Chargers have the better QB and pass rush and it isn't even close.  So saying it would be more than 54 doesn't make sense

16 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

No. Find a young football mind who is creative ala Sean McVay.

If you have too, go to the college ranks. 

Probably easier said, than done tbh.  Which young football mind that is currently a position coach should we find?  Tough one.  McVay left his post as an OC to become a HC.  A current OC isn’t coming here to be our OC.  

2 hours ago, The Process said:

Don't get too down on The Peterman Catalogue  yet......

Not saying he's Farve....not saying he's bust.....just that the jury is out......

From Bleacher:

1992—Favre Becomes Green Bay's Starter

4 OF 19

It didn't take very long for Favre to get playing time in Green Bay. After a poor first half by quarterback Don Majkowski in the second game of the season, Favre got the duties for the second half.

However, Favre's unremarkable performance didn't win him the starting job for Game Three. Majkowski would suffer a ligament injury, though, and Favre would once again enter the picture. 

After four fumbles, Favre was almost removed in favor of Ty Detmer. Instead, he would lead the Packers to a comeback victory with 13 seconds remaining.

No. 4 was the starter for the next game against the Steelers and that would be the beginning of his record consecutive starts streak.

Again second round pick (from a small college) not fifth.  Didn't play rookie year so got to learn.  Came in mop up and did not get the job until an injury.......  Keep reaching.....

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again second round pick (from a small college) not fifth.  Didn't play rookie year so got to learn.  Came in mop up and did not get the job until an injury.......  Keep reaching.....

Yet even with hi spoor display he rallied and led a game winning drive in his first start.

7 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

If you are comparing the Chargers and Chiefs, Chargers have the better QB and pass rush and it isn't even close.  So saying it would be more than 54 doesn't make sense

You act as if there’s a science to scoring points.  The saints have a better QB and defense than sD and SD outscored NO against us.  With as bad as this defense and offense has played the last 3 games, anyone could put up 60.  The Chiefs will have a serious home field advantage, while the Chargers had little (I was there, seemed close to 50/50 crowd).  Don’t underestimate how bad a team can be if they’ve given up.  Can’t say for sure that they’ve given up but it doesn’t look good.  I wouldn’t be shocked if a team scored 70 on us this year

12 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I don't get fans who quit on a season when we are in the playoff hunt.  Yes it has been bad.  But quitting?  Come on man! 

The writing is on the wall. The team isn’t good. The defense is bad and we don’t have a good QB. 

Yes, we are mathematically alive but you can tell who has what it takes to make it to the next level. We aren’t there. 

12 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

that forces McD to finally show his cards: is he all in on this year, or is he packing it in and making decisions for the future?

Personally, with our D collapsing as it has lately, I'm ready to move on from this year, stick with the process and see if you have anything in Peterman.  And I'd be thinking real hard about whether I want Dennison to be the one entrusted with developing my first round QB.

I don't agree.   Last week was the fork in the road, and he took it.   Whether McD knew it or not, benching Taylor last week meant that it's a virtual certainty that Taylor will not be a Bill in 2019, and maybe not even 2018.   If the Bills don't cut him, he's going to get out as soon as his contract permits, which is the end of 2018.    What can McDermott possibly say to Taylor or do that will make Taylor believe anything other than that he's the QB only until the next warm body comes along?   In Taylor's eyes, McDermott is so desperate to replace him that McDermott actually started a guy who was totally unprepared for live NFL action, so why would Taylor believe that McDermott won't do it again?   

So from that point of view, I suppose the only choice at QB is Peterman.  Why,?  Because it's now a certainty that Taylor isn't the QB of the future, so you may as well play the next guy in line, even if he looks like an incredible longshot.   The problem with that is McDermott risks losing the rest of the team, because as the HC you're asking 44 other guys to go out there, play hard and risk injury when you've left your best chance to win at your most important position on the bench.   Do I want to play for that guy?   If I'm Kyle do I want to come back for another year?  If I'm Incognito?  If I'm Matthews?   Who wants to play for a coach who doesn't play the best players. 

Starting Peterman was a colossally stupid decision.   It made sense only if McD was sure that Peterman is an NFL starter, and if McD was sure Peterman is an NFL starter, then there are serious questions, huge questions, about his ability to evaluate talent.   

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

You act as if there’s a science to scoring points.  The saints have a better QB and defense than sD and SD outscored NO against us.  With as bad as this defense and offense has played the last 3 games, anyone could put up 60.  The Chiefs will have a serious home field advantage, while the Chargers had little (I was there, seemed close to 50/50 crowd).  Don’t underestimate how bad a team can be if they’ve given up.  Can’t say for sure that they’ve given up but it doesn’t look good.  I wouldn’t be shocked if a team scored 70 on us this year

I think it is funny how some people lose objectivity like we will give up 60 this year.  This is the same team that was leading the league in defense at 5-2.  I understand they have been very bad these past few weeks but that won't be maintained.  Could it be bad against the Chiefs?  Sure but all I am saying is the Chiefs have been equally bad and the Giants are a close second to the Browns as the worst team in the league.  As much as you hate to admit it we aren't the Giants.

12 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

that forces McD to finally show his cards: is he all in on this year, or is he packing it in and making decisions for the future?

Personally, with our D collapsing as it has lately, I'm ready to move on from this year, stick with the process and see if you have anything in Peterman.  And I'd be thinking real hard about whether I want Dennison to be the one entrusted with developing my first round QB.

Starting to feel this way as well along the JUAN who is our Oline coach.

Castillo should be canned today IMO. Kromer caught a lot of heat from fans for his off field antics but was a pretty damn good Oline coach. This hire has been absolutely horrible. This Oline play is also a direct resemblance to TT and NP's failures. We can't execute anything on O when our right side of the line get's destroyed every play, which in turn makes Dennison look bad as well.

Being and OC, why didn't Dennison get to pick his staff? Castillo was hired if not mistaken before he was.

Edited by Real McCoy

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't agree.   Last week was the fork in the road, and he took it.   Whether McD knew it or not, benching Taylor last week meant that it's a virtual certainty that Taylor will not be a Bill in 2019, and maybe not even 2018.   If the Bills don't cut him, he's going to get out as soon as his contract permits, which is the end of 2018.    What can McDermott possibly say to Taylor or do that will make Taylor believe anything other than that he's the QB only until the next warm body comes along?   In Taylor's eyes, McDermott is so desperate to replace him that McDermott actually started a guy who was totally unprepared for live NFL action, so why would Taylor believe that McDermott won't do it again?   

So from that point of view, I suppose the only choice at QB is Peterman.  Why,?  Because it's now a certainty that Taylor isn't the QB of the future, so you may as well play the next guy in line, even if he looks like an incredible longshot.   The problem with that is McDermott risks losing the rest of the team, because as the HC you're asking 44 other guys to go out there, play hard and risk injury when you've left your best chance to win at your most important position on the bench.   Do I want to play for that guy?   If I'm Kyle do I want to come back for another year?  If I'm Incognito?  If I'm Matthews?   Who wants to play for a coach who doesn't play the best players. 

Starting Peterman was a colossally stupid decision.   It made sense only if McD was sure that Peterman is an NFL starter, and if McD was sure Peterman is an NFL starter, then there are serious questions, huge questions, about his ability to evaluate talent.   

I've said it before but it's possible he looked prepared in practice, the problem with that is that our Offensive line is facing our defensive line

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

And that maybe bought him some time (and game 2-3 of the year).

Very rarely do players fail miserably in there pro debuts and blossum into good starters atleast at the QB position.  I cant remember a case where that happens.  Even with Farve's fumbles they were not in terrible positions and he played well enough to over come those,.  At the end of the day you only remember that he led a drive and scored the game winning points at the end.