Decision on starter vs. Chiefs is the fork in the road

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

that forces McD to finally show his cards: is he all in on this year, or is he packing it in and making decisions for the future?

Personally, with our D collapsing as it has lately, I'm ready to move on from this year, stick with the process and see if you have anything in Peterman.  And I'd be thinking real hard about whether I want Dennison to be the one entrusted with developing my first round QB.

Looking at this from McDermott's position. No faith in current QB, rookie 5th round pick with who there really shouldn't be any seriously high expectations yet, how can you blame the coordinator?

31 minutes ago, Hawaii50 said:

Drives me nuts when people say its not fair to veteran players to look ahead to future years.  I appreciate the concern for long term guys like Kyle Williams, but they are getting paid millions each year so ultimately too bad if they have to suffer through another down year.   Not going to shed any tears for them!

Coach and GM have to do something to stop the cycle of losing..finishing 8-8, middle of road draft picks, and no QB again.

This team is likely going nowhere this year.   We know what we have with Tyrod, seems worth a chance to see if Peterman offers any hope.  

Strong argument can be made that we win either way with Peterman.  He shows us he is the real deal and we turn this year around (pretty unlikely after last week), or we lose a bunch more games an get a better draft pick.

Not sure a 'win' is how I would describe this. But I get your point. However, I've had enough of battling for a better draft pick. It's getting old.

Tyrod has to be the starter. Peterman was dreadful out there. You can't throw the towel in. The team is .500 and you will lose every player in the locker room if you put Peterman back out there. Absolutely no way in hell you could convince the rest of the guys he gives you the best chance to win. 

Edited by H2o

36 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Did you consider that there's a downside to a regime that shows prospective free agents in the league that they will toss aside a vet who gives them a better chance to win?  This happens all the time with teams that are supposedly future focused -- but its a loser mentality that may turn off vet players this team wants to attract this coming offseason. 

There will be competition for any vet player.  McD picking a rook who clearly isn't ready to start over a respected vet while the team is still mathematically in the playoff race may make a difference in some free agents decision about where to play in the future.  Stuff like this matters.

What it says to players is that McDermott and the Bills are NOT committed to winning, and NFL players want to win, and win now, not 3-5 years down the road ... maybe.  The average NFL career is only about 3 years, and any player could suffer a career ending injury on any play.  The only FAs interested in playing for bottom feeders are players with very limited options because of lack of talent or age ... ie, scrubs ... or guys just looking for pay days.

1 hour ago, Hawaii50 said:

Drives me nuts when people say its not fair to veteran players to look ahead to future years.  I appreciate the concern for long term guys like Kyle Williams, but they are getting paid millions each year so ultimately too bad if they have to suffer through another down year.   Not going to shed any tears for them!

Coach and GM have to do something to stop the cycle of losing..finishing 8-8, middle of road draft picks, and no QB again.

This team is likely going nowhere this year.   We know what we have with Tyrod, seems worth a chance to see if Peterman offers any hope.  

Strong argument can be made that we win either way with Peterman.  He shows us he is the real deal and we turn this year around (pretty unlikely after last week), or we lose a bunch more games an get a better draft pick.

This is where I'm at as well, Taylor is gone after this year anyway. We need to see what we have in Peterman and evaluate everyone in the next few games. I have a feeling McD goes with Peterman again this week, I can't see any benefit to playing Taylor when he will be gone next year.

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I don't get fans who quit on a season when we are in the playoff hunt.  Yes it has been bad.  But quitting?  Come on man! 

You don't get it? Are you new to being a Bills fan? But anyway, we have literally been the worst team in the NFL over the past 3 weeks and that is who we are right now  (not to mention the utter disarray that we unnecessarily created on top of it all and finding out that our HC is insanely pig headed)

3 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

that forces McD to finally show his cards: is he all in on this year, or is he packing it in and making decisions for the future?

Personally, with our D collapsing as it has lately, I'm ready to move on from this year, stick with the process and see if you have anything in Peterman.  And I'd be thinking real hard about whether I want Dennison to be the one entrusted with developing my first round QB.

Look at what you just posted. The D is collapsing so you want the career defensive coordinator now HC to stick with the process that has lost three games surrendering over 100 points. All so he can play the 5th round rookie QB to evaluate the OC.

This roster is talent deficient...assuming McDermott/Beane get the time to finish their rebuild, we are still likely at least another season (2019) from the playoffs.  

I would rather watch Tyrod play the final 6 games, but assuming this coach is back next season, it really makes more sense to start Peterman.  McDermott will "lose the locker-room" (if he hasn't already), but we all know, Tyrod will not be a Bill next year, and I seriously doubt guys like McCoy and Clay will be back. 

To realistically have a shot at the playoffs this year, they have to get 5, maybe 4 wins in these final 6 games.  After these past three weeks, it is hard to fathom that happening.  I can see beating Miami once, and maybe, the Colts....but not a chance they beat KC this weekend, or New England,  home or away. 

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

Did you consider that there's a downside to a regime that shows prospective free agents in the league that they will toss aside a vet who gives them a better chance to win?  This happens all the time with teams that are supposedly future focused -- but its a loser mentality that may turn off vet players this team wants to attract this coming offseason. 

There will be competition for any vet player.  McD picking a rook who clearly isn't ready to start over a respected vet while the team is still mathematically in the playoff race may make a difference in some free agents decision about where to play in the future.  Stuff like this matters.

I suppose it matters a bit but not all that much. When you want a free agent, you offer him the best contract and 90% of the time you get him. Only when the contracts are almost exactly the same does stuff like this play into FA decisions. Look at the Browns getting guys like Zeitler and Tretter and Britt last season.

The Bills aren't likely to be trying to pick up any top-ranked FAs, guys who will have a ton of choices. When you examine the Panthers record on FAs, you don't see them going after the expensive high-demand guys. I'd expect McDermott and Beane to continue that kind of conservative use of the FA market. They've said they're going to build primarily through the draft. They'll fill in with lower- and mid-level guys but those guys are mostly looking for good contracts.

44 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Look at what you just posted. The D is collapsing so you want the career defensive coordinator now HC to stick with the process that has lost three games surrendering over 100 points. All so he can play the 5th round rookie QB to evaluate the OC.

Of course he should continue the process. That's what he was hired for.

The first year of a new coach's term when he comes into a mediocre team and switches schemes was always likely to be pretty bad. I just wish they'd done a total rebuild and let Tyrod and Kyle Williams go before the season.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I don't get fans who quit on a season when we are in the playoff hunt.  Yes it has been bad.  But quitting?  Come on man! 

Let me help you out. Our dline sucks. Our oline sucks. Our linebackers suck. Our o coordinator, the guy I think was really behind the Pederman debacle, really really sucks. Our receiving coor, which is average, cant stay healthy. Our one starting corner CANT STAY HEALTHY. Our right tackle sucks. Our left tackle. You guessed it. CANT STAY HEALTHY. Our qb situation is a trainwreck.  Our original starter at qb cant win in a shootout and also never brings us back from 10 or more behind. Our backup Pederman looks like hes about five years away at the soonest. Oh. And weve watched this same movie 17 years in a row going on 18. Id say its pretty understandable why people have no hope at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm pretty sure Tyrod was enjoying every second of that 1st half last Sunday seeing Peterman have to throw behind our horrible pass blocking o-line.  If we had a competent o-line I'd start Peterman as Taylor is not the long term answer.  However, since we can't pass block you need a mobile quarterback who can extend plays like Taylor.  Once we're eliminated from the playoffs I guess you start Peterman again.

• Like (+1) 1

Don't get too down on The Peterman Catalogue  yet......

Not saying he's Farve....not saying he's bust.....just that the jury is out......

From Bleacher:

1992—Favre Becomes Green Bay's Starter

4 OF 19

It didn't take very long for Favre to get playing time in Green Bay. After a poor first half by quarterback Don Majkowski in the second game of the season, Favre got the duties for the second half.

However, Favre's unremarkable performance didn't win him the starting job for Game Three. Majkowski would suffer a ligament injury, though, and Favre would once again enter the picture. 

After four fumbles, Favre was almost removed in favor of Ty Detmer. Instead, he would lead the Packers to a comeback victory with 13 seconds remaining.

No. 4 was the starter for the next game against the Steelers and that would be the beginning of his record consecutive starts streak.

7 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

How do you define McD's "process"?  To me it's about two years from now, not two weeks from now, or two weeks previous. The process to me means sacrificing now for delayed gratification. 

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm not sure if you noticed, but that Bills haven't exactly been lighting it up on defense either.  The stoppable forced vs. the easily movable object. 

True but I feel better against this Chiefs team than the one facing the Pats the first week of the season

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm pretty sure Tyrod was enjoying every second of that 1st half last Sunday seeing Peterman have to throw behind our horrible pass blocking o-line.  If we had a competent o-line I'd start Peterman as Taylor is not the long term answer.  However, since we can't pass block you need a mobile quarterback who can extend plays like Taylor.  Once we're eliminated from the playoffs I guess you start Peterman again.

No, he was angry because he was watching what should have been a competitive game to stay in a playoff spot swirl down the drain.