Pro Football HOF Announces 2018 Modern Era Semifinalists

26CornerBlitz

Lewis was the most dominant defensive player on the most dominant defensive team of his era.  He is absolutely in the conversation along with Butkus and Lambert as the best MLBers of all time.  If he's not in on the first ballot, something is dramatically wrong with the process.

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yup.  Personally I'd rank them Moss, Coryell and Lewis but those are the top 3.  TO is #4.

Moss might be the best football player I've ever seen.

I agree. I might put Lewis ahead of Coryell, but your four as a whole seem just right to me.  I can't understand any argument against them.

Moss was a total freak and an absolute joy to watch play. Lewis was an all timer - a dominant player who changed games. TO was in the top few receivers in the league for many years and has the numbers to prove it. Coryell paved the way for 21st century football. Don't know how anyone can not vote for any of those guys.

12 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Lewis is more liked by the media which gives him a better chance to get in. 

Exactly. The media writes the narrative on who is a “good guy” vs “bad guy”. Image is not solely defined by ones actions. It is also defined by the picture painted by the media. Obviously it helps to maintain a squeaky clean image because it eliminates the media element. Everyone else becomes subject to the media’s judge and jury. This is the only reason that TO is being blackballed. 

20 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The TO situation has become an embarrassment for the league. It’s a black eye. The guy is, without question, a 1st ballot HOFer and he can’t get in because some writers don’t like him. It’s a joke. They need to make it right.

TO is no Moss.  He's a Hall of Famer but no first ballot guy.  Had a lot of dumb drops that cost his team.

Keep in mind Thurman Thomas didn't get in on first ballot.

First ballot on this list for me:

Lewis

Moss

Coryell

Atwater

Craig

6 hours ago, Rico said:

I would put Urlacher in the Steroid Hall of Fame.

First ballot, wtf?

Yeah, and frankly his play was excellent but overrated IMHO.

People wanted him to be the next Mike Singletary - he was not.

8 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

TO is no Moss.  He's a Hall of Famer but no first ballot guy.  Had a lot of dumb drops that cost his team.

Keep in mind Thurman Thomas didn't get in on first ballot.

First ballot on this list for me:

Lewis

Moss

Coryell

Atwater

Craig

He’s on ballot 3. It’s disgusting that he isn’t in. Not to be that guy or anything but TO is historically a greater player than Thurman. They put Harrison in, who is a worse player and shot a guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s on ballot 3. It’s disgusting that he isn’t in. Not to be that guy or anything but TO is historically a greater player than Thurman. They put Harrison in, who is a worse player and shot a guy. 

Um what? Owens never led the league in receptions or yards. Thurman did it 4 years in a row, which no one has done. And he was league MVP one year.

It was a joke Thurman had to wait a year and Jim Kelly was a 1st balloter. Thurman was a way better RB than Kelly was QB

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Rob's House said:

The HOF is a joke until TO is in. I don't know how anyone can even argue against him with a straight face.

He was one of the biggest stars of a generation. People who don't even watch football know who he is. Anyone who leaves him off the ballot should have his voting rights stripped IMO.

The HOF has turned into a joke the last few years with some of their inductions.

Please do away with the Senior committee. They are really watering down the Hall.

And Terrell Owens should have been a first ballot inductee. He was a difference maker.

22 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nope---OJ would not have gotten in if his first year of eligibility was 1995.  Zero chance.

I they are making TO wait, they certainly should let the POS Lewis wait.

I’ll be shocked if Lewis doesn’t get in 1st ballot.  Do you think he committed murder?  If not, why shouldn’t he get in?  Because he could’ve been more cooperative with the investigation?  If Ray truly had nothing to do with the murder other than being witness to it and uncooperative I don’t see why he doesn’t get in 1st ballot.  Best Inside Lb I’ve ever seen play (I’m 43).  A complete game changer and leader of a top 5 defense ever with 2 SB rings.

Imo, it should be Owens 1st (because he’s long overdue), then Lewis, Moss and Coryell.  

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Disagree. I assume you're using his ranks because he played longer. Thurman was an MVP and Player of the Year. Pro Bowls 6-5 wash. Don't see it unless you're ranking him higher because he played longer. Thurman's peak higher IMHO makes him better.

On 11/21/2017 at 5:15 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Its a total travesty that Roger Craig isn't already in.

Here is who I would put IN:  Craig, Lewis, Moss, Lynch, Holt.  

I see some making a case for Owens, but Holt was a better player and I would hands down put him in over TO, even though I don't disagree that TO has a hall worthy resume.  

As far as the others I picked:  Craig changed the game for RB's and deserves to be in already as one of the first real dual threat RBs in terms of running and receiving.  He got over shadowed with Montana and Rice there, but this guy was a huge part of that team that doesn't get the credit he deserves.  Lewis one of the 3 best LBs to ever play.  Lynch one of 3 best Safeties to ever play.  Moss one 3 greatest WR's to ever play.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 hours ago, Jackington said:

Um what? Owens never led the league in receptions or yards. Thurman did it 4 years in a row, which no one has done. And he was league MVP one year.

It was a joke Thurman had to wait a year and Jim Kelly was a 1st balloter. Thurman was a way better RB than Kelly was QB

Don’t disagree with the 2nd part at all. If Kelly was a 1st ballot HOFer TO belongs in on his 3rd try. He’s a way better Harrison (that didn’t shoot anybody and didn’t have Peyton). 

2 hours ago, horned dogs said:

Disagree. I assume you're using his ranks because he played longer. Thurman was an MVP and Player of the Year. Pro Bowls 6-5 wash. Don't see it unless you're ranking him higher because he played longer. Thurman's peak higher IMHO makes him better.

Historically I don’t believe that Thurman was a better player. Obviously I love Thurman but that’s what i think. 

On November 22, 2017 at 7:39 PM, NewEra said:

I’ll be shocked if Lewis doesn’t get in 1st ballot.  Do you think he committed murder?  If not, why shouldn’t he get in?  Because he could’ve been more cooperative with the investigation?  If Ray truly had nothing to do with the murder other than being witness to it and uncooperative I don’t see why he doesn’t get in 1st ballot.  Best Inside Lb I’ve ever seen play (I’m 43).  A complete game changer and leader of a top 5 defense ever with 2 SB rings.

Imo, it should be Owens 1st (because he’s long overdue), then Lewis, Moss and Coryell.  

He obstructed the investigation of a murder, as well as helped destroy evidence. 

Anyway, Owens didn't murder, witness a murder, obstruct a murder investigation, nor did he help destroy evidence of a murder...... yet the HOF voters have made him wait--and he's (at least) a top 5 WR in the history of the game.  It would be proof positive of how idiotic this voting system if they let Lewis in on the first ballot.   Total hypocrisy.