The Ringer: The NFL’s Head-Coaching Carousel Is a Crisis

26CornerBlitz

Through a combined lack of patience and lack of creativity, NFL teams have managed to burn through head coaches at a faster rate than ever before while also shrinking the hiring pool at the same time. The result: a league where Ben McAdoo somehow gets a job in the first place and then loses it two years later.

Sean McDermott is the fourth Bills coach since 2012. He took over a team armed with an awkward pairing of win-now players from the Rex Ryan era and then made a series of moves designed to build for the future, but that led to one of the most embarrassing quarterback episodes in league history Sunday. Despite his team sitting in a playoff spot heading into Sunday, McDermott benched Tyrod Taylor for convoluted reasons. (McDermott specifically praised fifth-round rookie Nathan Peterman’s maturity at the time of the benching.) Peterman, then, promptly threw five interceptions in the first half of a game against the Chargers. If you want to see the fallout from years of coach churn, watch the Buffalo Bills organization. Even if the coach is good (and McDermott was doing a nice job before the Peterman-Taylor decision), the previous stops and starts of the organization make it nearly impossible for them to ever succeed. Teams that win find a plan and stick with it. Teams that don’t? They find plans and abandon them at the first sign of struggle, and the constant change adds up over the years.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sean McDermott is the fourth Bills coach since 2012. He took over a team armed with an awkward pairing of win-now players from the Rex Ryan era and then made a series of moves designed to build for the future, but that led to one of the most embarrassing quarterback episodes in league history Sunday. Despite his team sitting in a playoff spot heading into Sunday, McDermott benched Tyrod Taylor for convoluted reasons. (McDermott specifically praised fifth-round rookie Nathan Peterman’s maturity at the time of the benching.) Peterman, then, promptly threw five interceptions in the first half of a game against the Chargers. If you want to see the fallout from years of coach churn, watch the Buffalo Bills organization. Even if the coach is good (and McDermott was doing a nice job before the Peterman-Taylor decision), the previous stops and starts of the organization make it nearly impossible for them to ever succeed. Teams that win find a plan and stick with it. Teams that don’t? They find plans and abandon them at the first sign of struggle, and the constant change adds up over the years.

Which is what I've been saying all week.

but preaching to this congregation is pointless.

Owners are paranoid because the success of the plan is not guaranteed by length of time nor commitment.  It is often influenced by luck and random events they can't control.

You can find a plan, sure.  How do you know it's the right one?  When do you know?

The Belichick plan is awesome largely due to one random event  and one lucky event.  He's a good coach but let's be honest about what influences the plan there.  

The Marvin Lewis plan is not so awesome.    Can't fault Mike Brown for sticking it out in Cincy.  

How many years would anybody give Chuck Pagano?    Dirk Koetter?

• Like (+1) 1

We are in the instant gratification age.... I hope and pray that a coach and GM on the same page means building a good foundation. I do not know if this is the case BUT I am willing to give them a few years to see. It is something we have not had in the recent past.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Here's a question for you: of all the QBs and/or coaches we've had since the drought, is there any one of them that you think we could've rode out for a few more years and they would've gotten us to the playoffs?

1 minute ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Here's a question for you: of all the QBs and/or coaches we've had since the drought, is there any one of them that you think we could've rode out for a few more years and they would've gotten us to the playoffs?

My thought is only about the current regime.  Can't say any of the other coach/QB combos merited additional time that would have eventually yielded long term success.

3 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I know it's not exactly what you asked, but if I could cherry pick anyone to reprise their roles I think I'd take:

HC: McDermott - This would've been an easy decision prior to the past week, but I was pretty tempted to put Marrone here based on what we know currently

OC: Lynn

DC: Schwartz

QB Tyrod

So the carousel is a crisis, but when a young coach does something that doesn't fit the cookie-cutter model of coaching, we should all ridiculously overstate the impact ("....league history"  yeah, I'm sure they'll be talking about it decades from now :rolleyes:) and question why he has a job.  Got it.

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

We are in the instant gratification age.... I hope and pray that a coach and GM on the same page means building a good foundation. I do not know if this is the case BUT I am willing to give them a few years to see. It is something we have not had in the recent past.

I agree with the first sentence but the rest of your post got boring so I didn't finish it

:P

• Haha (+1) 1

Yep gottas stick with Beaner and Mick man for 5 years.. anything less just is not enough to build an organization that has seen a new coach on average every 2 years  into a consistent winner. It could turn out to be a disaster but that's exactly what we've been getting anyway so might as well try to do it differently and ride this one out.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

Which is pretty much why Peterman will start again this week.

12 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Marrone/Schwartz.  I still think Marrone was a good coach even if his choice of OC was not good.  Those were the most prepared Bills teams in my memory.  Just needed a qb and since we know he didn't like EJ he likely would have looked at the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

I've been saying this for years - bad teams stay bad by constantly changing coaches and GMs. Our Bills are a perfect example of this. The Browns too. 

We we have to stick with this current regime for at least 4-5 years. 

It would be so insane to even think of firing either of them now. They haven't even had the chance to start building their team yet. We are basically still in the tear down phase. Beane hired the right type of experienced staff to have a damn good shot at building something through the draft. Let's see what they do... 

Plus, the damage is done now anyway. They've torn the team down. Let's see how they build it back up. I like the types of players they have acquired so far - high character guys with talent, too - Hyde/Poyer/Jones/White/Benjamin/Matthews etc. 

I'm excited to see how they draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, section122 said:

Marrone/Schwartz.  I still think Marrone was a good coach even if his choice of OC was not good.  Those were the most prepared Bills teams in my memory.  Just needed a qb and since we know he didn't like EJ he likely would have looked at the draft.

Aside from being a horribly over-conservative game manager, Marrone does mostly good things. However, he's too much of a headcase to be depended on. Many who have worked with him would even refer to him as "batshit crazy."

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I've been saying this for years - bad teams stay bad by constantly changing coaches and GMs. Our Bills are a perfect example of this. The Browns too. 

We we have to stick with this current regime for at least 4-5 years. 

It would be so insane to even think of firing either of them now. They haven't even had the chance to start building their team yet. We are basically still in the tear down phase. Beane hired the right type of experienced staff to have a damn good shot at building something through the draft. Let's see what they do... 

Plus, the damage is done now anyway. They've torn the team down. Let's see how they build it back up. I like the types of players they have acquired so far - high character guys with talent, too - Hyde/Poyer/Jones/White/Benjamin/Matthews etc. 

I'm excited to see how they draft. 

You and I see eye to eye on this.

• Like (+1) 1

"Teams that win find a plan and stick with it."

I don't think anyone would disagree with that statement. The question here is, "Is Tyrod the winning plan, and should we stick with him?" By playing Peterman, McDermott is telling us that he doesn't think Tyrod is part of the long term winning plan. So he starts Peterman to see what the kid has.

Anyone who sees Tyrod as a long term franchise QB will be upset by the move to Peterman. I happen to think that Tyrod would make a fantastic back-up QB. So I wasn't upset with his benching.

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Aside from being a horribly over-conservative game manager, Marrone does mostly good things. However, he's too much of a headcase to be depended on. Many who have worked with him would even refer to him as "batshit crazy."

Yeah he might have even needed the humble pie the fiasco of him leaving served him.  I thought he was the best coach we had throughout the drought though.   Not that that is a glowing compliment lol

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, somnus00 said:

"Teams that win find a plan and stick with it."

I don't think anyone would disagree with that statement. The question here is, "Is Tyrod the winning plan, and should we stick with him?" By playing Peterman, McDermott is telling us that he doesn't think Tyrod is part of the long term winning plan. So he starts Peterman to see what the kid has.

Anyone who sees Tyrod as a long term franchise QB will be upset by the move to Peterman. I happen to think that Tyrod would make a fantastic back-up QB. So I wasn't upset with his benching.

The article isn't about QBs or what decision was made last week.