McD's biggest mistake

JaCrispy

14 hours ago, BillsVet said:

If Deshaun Watson or Pat Mahomes become solid QB's in this league, trading down in the 2017 first round is their worst mistake. Especially if it takes their four 1st/2nd round picks to move up and take a QB this year when those would be best served improving the OL and front 7 on defense. Nothing against Tre White, but a good zone CB is far less important. 

Avoiding taking a QB until your back is against the wall like with Manuel in 2013 is why multiple regimes have failed. They've prioritized other positions or sought to rebuild without the QB or hoping the QB is "good enough."

It's already a mistake given what Deshaun showed. It'll be up there with Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan if Mahomes turns into something better than Alex Smith.

EDIT: Of course, there's always two ways of looking at a draft. 1. Was it a defensible decision based on what we knew at the time? 2. In retrospect, do you wish your team had done something different?

I expect a lot of replies that focus on (1) but ignore (2). My way of thinking clearly about this: if we had a draft do-over, where would Deshaun (even with the serious knee injury) go? I'd suggest he'd go in the top 3, maybe first overall.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

I don’t get why fans get so worked up over what coaches and GMs say or don’t say in press conferences. 

I think it was pretty obvious what the plan was, which was to try to be competitive with what they had and build a new culture, but also stockpile picks for the future. I don’t need anyone from the Bills telling me what I can see. 

9 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's already a mistake given what Deshaun showed. It'll be up there with Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan if Mahomes turns into something better than Alex Smith.

EDIT: Of course, there's always two ways of looking at a draft. 1. Was it a defensible decision based on what we knew at the time? 2. In retrospect, do you wish your team had done something different?

I expect a lot of replies that focus on (1) but ignore (2). My way of thinking clearly about this: if we had a draft do-over, where would Deshaun (even with the serious knee injury) go? I'd suggest he'd go in the top 3, maybe first overall.

The passing on a QB is a yet to be determined thing. I remember long ago on this board people saying it took 2-3 years before evaluating a draft pick, and that's still applicable. But in the instant gratification culture, we need a decision now. That's not what I'm saying here and we're going to have to wait.

There are players who have weaknesses that aren't exposed until after an off-season of film analysis. Deshaun Watson isn't a slam dunk type because he's played a half season of very good ball. I'm merely outlining that if he or Mahomes succeeds long term, McD's tenure will have started on the wrong foot because he didn't go after a QB in year 1 of the rebuild. He went with Tyrod and that means he'll need to find a rookie in McD's second season. 

Edited by BillsVet

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The passing on a QB is a yet to be determined thing. I remember long ago on this board people saying it took 2-3 years before evaluating a draft pick, and that's still applicable. But in the instant gratification culture, we need a decision now. That's not what I'm saying here and we're going to have to wait.

There are players who have weaknesses that aren't exposed until after an off-season of film analysis. Deshaun Watson isn't a slam dunk type because he's played a half season of very good ball. I'm merely outlining that if he or Mahomes succeeds long term, McD's tenure will have started on the wrong foot because he didn't go after a QB in year 1 of the rebuild. He went with Tyrod and that means he'll need to find a rookie in McD's second season. 

Understood. But the reality is you've got 5 years now to get value out of a high draft pick while he's under team control.  So I'm just not too concerned about what is, for NFL purposes, the distant future.  Unless he's a sad RG3 case, my guess is that he continues to provide a lot of value for a few years, and that's all that really matters in the 4 year free agency/fifth year option NFL world.

48 minutes ago, cashdude said:

So his biggest mistake was not giving up on the season when he was hired...ok

...LOL...even more so, does he owe explanation(s) for EVERY move?.....start explaining every move or doing mea culpas for every one that doesn't work and he'll open a Pandora's Box of media feeding frenzy.....I'd take a chapter from "The Belichick Way As To How Pressers Are To Be Conducted"........frustrates the hell outta the urinalists...............

3 hours ago, cashdude said:

So his biggest mistake was not giving up on the season when he was hired...ok

Well, when you think about it, he didn’t have the right QB or OL to run his offense...he didn’t have the right LBs for his defense...and he decided to gut the team of its most talented players...but hey, I’m just tryin’ to make it easier for the guy and for the fans who are pissed off at him. :thumbsup:

Edited by JaCrispy