Should the Pegulas Cash Out?

Coach Tuesday

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

the problem here is the same as the problem elsewhere in American life. Some people here have over-inflated senses of the worth of their opinions.

You're half right.  The problem here and the problem in America is that the internet gives trolls the ability to broadcast their deranged thoughts to the rest of the species.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

You're half right.  The problem here and the problem in America is that the internet gives trolls the ability to broadcast their deranged thoughts to the rest of the species.

Such as selling a team the Pegulas spent a billion dollars on because some...person on the internet disagrees with a coaching hire?

SPOT ON.

This stuff that they just hired a HC with no help is wrong.  The NFL has a committee of respected NFL folks like Polian and Dungy that evaluate and give opinion on guys that mat be ready to step up into the HC role.  McDermott was one of those guys.  So it's not like the Pegulas just plucked this guy off the street with no input. 

McDermott and Beane were both highly respected in their positions and were ready to take the next step.  So were Botterill and Housley.    Let's see what they can do.  Each team has suffered from poor personnel decisions by previous regimes. 

as for previous decisions, I do think the Pegulas were guilty of giving guys too much rope to hand themselves.  Regier, Whaley, Murray as prime examples.  But it seems that they've learned to cut their losses quicker, as with Ryan and Bylsma. 

Othe than Jerry Richardson, there is not one owner in the NFL that has ever played football at an NFL level.  And other than Gretzky none that I can think of in the NHL.  That is nto a requirement for being a successful sports franchise owner. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Personally, I think it’s way too soon to judge either team’s recent hires at coach/GM

With the Sabres, I'd probably agree.

With the Bills, McD sped up the evaluation process by his disastrous decision to start Peterman last week.  There was so much information provided in that move.  Similarly, the Watkins/Dareus trades and the resulting impact on the roster (and the panic moves to plug the self-imposed leaks) told us a lot about Beane.  We're getting to the point where we can evaluate these guys and it's not looking good, at all.  I don't need 3-5 years of this.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Let me start by saying that I really like the Pegulas as people - they seem like good citizens and possess integrity and beneficence.  And yes, we as fans owe them gratitude for keeping both the Bills and Sabres afloat and in Buffalo.

All of that said, they are horrible owners.  They are well-intentioned and want to win, but clearly have no idea how to do it.  They have empowered the wrong people at the wrong times.  They have proven to be susceptible to good interviews at the expense of more sophisticated due diligence.  They have employed bizarre organizational structures that have undermined the few quality hires they have made.  They have supported borderline insane team building strategies that have resulted in a near-impossible run of sustained failure.  There does not seem to be any end to this trend on the horizon and I’m really struggling to understand what the plan is for turning the Bills and Sabres into winning franchises.  Certainly, pairing first-time GMs with first-time coaches has failed miserably for both teams and, in the case of the Bills, the decision to expel elite talent, rather than maximizing and supporting the talent on hand with quality coaching and added depth, has bombed in spectacular fashion.

In a word, they have destroyed two sports franchises.

I’m wondering if it’s time for Kim and Terry to look for sale partners for one or both teams.  Perhaps they could sell a majority stake and become passive minority owners (although the leagues may have some restrictions on this) or perhaps they should just sell outright.  I’d imagine at this point their investments have appreciated nicely.  Perhaps it is time for them to reap some of those gains and turn the businesses over to individuals or entities that know what they’re doing.

I know some of you will respond to let me know how ungrateful I am.  That’s fine, you’re entitled to your opinions.  My opinion is that the fans here deserve more than just “we kept the franchises in Buffalo” - rather, the fans, who give their hard-earned dollars to billionaires, deserve competence. We’re not getting competence.

The "fans" of Buffalo deserve nothing. If you can't appreciate that we are fortunate to still have the Bills and Sabres, then we deserve to lose both teams. The NFL does not want us in the league. If it were up to Kraft and Jerruh, the Bills would be the Toronto Bon Jovis by now. At least the NHL likes Buffalo because we goose their national TV ratings, but we came real close to having the Sabres pilfered by Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie.

It's very simple. If the Bills and Sabres are too terrible to follow, then don't. I swear dealing with the playoff drought is better than  having to read and listen to fans whine about it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The "fans" of Buffalo deserve nothing. If you can't appreciate that we are fortunate to still have the Bills and Sabres, then we deserve to lose both teams. The NFL does not want us in the league. If it were up to Kraft and Jerruh, the Bills would be the Toronto Bon Jovis by now. At least the NHL likes Buffalo because we goose their national TV ratings, but we came real close to having the Sabres pilfered by Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie.

It's very simple. If the Bills and Sabres are too terrible to follow, then don't. I swear dealing with the playoff drought is better than  having to read and listen to fans whine about it.

This thread was basically a bat signal for you, PTR.  Your view on this is well-known: us lowly peasants of Buffalo Town are lucky to be blessed by the royalty and grace that the Pegulas have chosen to bestow upon us, and questioning their competence is akin to taking The Lord's Name in vain.  Needless to say, I disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

call me crazy, but i at least want to see what happens with the draft, the off season, and next year before i crucify the bills.  i enjoy the sabres, but i just don't watch enough to have a valid opinion about them.  the pegulas want to win and are certainly willing to spend if needed.  they just have to figure out management.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This thread was basically a bat signal for you, PTR.  Your view on this is well-known: us lowly peasants of Buffalo Town are lucky to be blessed by the royalty and grace that the Pegulas have chosen to bestow upon us, and questioning their competence is akin to taking The Lord's Name in vain.  Needless to say, I disagree.

Sure, take it that way because I'm sure it soothes your tender ego. I'm just doing what you say you do...being a realist. Don't hurt your hand patting yourselves on the back, though.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

we came real close to having the Sabres pilfered by Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie.

Not really

Sabres were in danger in 2002.  There was no owner, but the league stood firmly in Buffalo's corner and waited it out.  

There was zero chance Golisano was going to sell to Balsillie... and probably a smaller chance the NHL would approve the sale and allow the team to move to Hamilton or Kitchiner or wherever he wanted that arena.

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

Are you insane? You make it sound like we were the guidepost for successful franchises BEFORE the Pegulas bought the Bills. I remember the Bills of the 70s... 80s... mid 90s until now. The calls for new ownership was rampant during all of those time periods.  The ONLY time (early 90s super bowl years) people of western NY were NOT yammering about this is when we had an elite QB.... see the connection???!!!

PS. it was the same way for the Patriots before Brady too

Thankfully someone with some common sense.

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

Not really

Sabres were in danger in 2002.  There was no owner, but the league stood firmly in Buffalo's corner and waited it out.  

There was zero chance Golisano was going to sell to Balsillie... and probably a smaller chance the NHL would approve the sale and allow the team to move to Hamilton or Kitchiner or wherever he wanted that arena.

I agree the NHL did not want to lose the Sabres, but they weren't going to prop us up forever either.

2 minutes ago, teef said:

call me crazy, but i at least want to see what happens with the draft, the off season, and next year before i crucify the bills.  i enjoy the sabres, but i just don't watch enough to have a valid opinion about them.  the pegulas want to win and are certainly willing to spend if needed.  they just have to figure out management.  

What a crazy, nutty, goofball approach! 

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This is a terrible mentality. 

Be happy the team is still here no matter how ****ty the product! 

Your essentially saying the fans of Buffalo sports can't act like the other fans around the country because it's the little city of Buffalo who should just be grateful they have a team.

That's not what I said at all. Nice try. I said don't act like the world owes you something. Don't act like other cities don't have to deal with disappointment. Don't overestimate your importance. You will be disappointed.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's not what I said at all. Nice try. I said don't act like the world owes you something. Don't act like other cities don't have to deal with disappointment. Don't overestimate your importance. You will be disappointed.

"The world" doesn't owe Buffalo fans anything.  But they've been forking over their hard-earned dollars to billionaires for years and can't even demand a competent product in return?  I have more pride than you do - I'm not "grateful" to anyone except my Creator.  I'm certainly not grateful to billionaires.

• Like (+1) 2