Should the Pegulas Cash Out?

Coach Tuesday

Let me start by saying that I really like the Pegulas as people - they seem like good citizens and possess integrity and beneficence.  And yes, we as fans owe them gratitude for keeping both the Bills and Sabres afloat and in Buffalo.

All of that said, they are horrible owners.  They are well-intentioned and want to win, but clearly have no idea how to do it.  They have empowered the wrong people at the wrong times.  They have proven to be susceptible to good interviews at the expense of more sophisticated due diligence.  They have employed bizarre organizational structures that have undermined the few quality hires they have made.  They have supported borderline insane team building strategies that have resulted in a near-impossible run of sustained failure.  There does not seem to be any end to this trend on the horizon and I’m really struggling to understand what the plan is for turning the Bills and Sabres into winning franchises.  Certainly, pairing first-time GMs with first-time coaches has failed miserably for both teams and, in the case of the Bills, the decision to expel elite talent, rather than maximizing and supporting the talent on hand with quality coaching and added depth, has bombed in spectacular fashion.

In a word, they have destroyed two sports franchises.

I’m wondering if it’s time for Kim and Terry to look for sale partners for one or both teams.  Perhaps they could sell a majority stake and become passive minority owners (although the leagues may have some restrictions on this) or perhaps they should just sell outright.  I’d imagine at this point their investments have appreciated nicely.  Perhaps it is time for them to reap some of those gains and turn the businesses over to individuals or entities that know what they’re doing.

I know some of you will respond to let me know how ungrateful I am.  That’s fine, you’re entitled to your opinions.  My opinion is that the fans here deserve more than just “we kept the franchises in Buffalo” - rather, the fans, who give their hard-earned dollars to billionaires, deserve competence. We’re not getting competence.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yes, we should sell the team to Bon Jovi and move the team to Toronto so the fans of Buffalo won't have to complain any more. I really wish people would get it.  We were very close to losing our team.  Do you really think the NFL wants a team in Buffalo??  Who else locally would have kept the team in Buffalo - John Y Brown?  I am so thankful to the Terry and Kim for stepping up to the plate and saving the Bills.  People have such short memories.  I watched the game on Sunday and didn't see Kim or Terry miss an assignment.  They have hired the right coach and GM for the transition.  Just in.... the Bills were not going to the playoffs with Sammy or Dareus.  We need a QB.  Our coach inherited a bunch of complainers and non-performers and he traded them for assets.  The only thing Sammy has done for the Rams this year is stay healthy but we still have 6 weeks to go. He is not a great receiver.   Have patience and good things are around the corner.  

• Like (+1) 2

I agree with everything that you are saying in terms of their competence as owners. There is nothing to support that they are anything but clueless.

With that being said, I see no chance that they sell? Why would they? This wasn’t a money making proposition for them. They have plenty of that. This was what Uber-rich people buy when they get the chance. This is a passion for them. They have no motivation to sell. I just hope that they are smart enough to hire the right people. So far their track record on both teams is abysmal at best.

My boss & I were talking this morning about the same thing.  They don't have a clue how to run a franchise & are in way over their heads.  What scares me is they did not learn from their mistakes with the Sabres when they failed to clean house when thye took over & let Regier/Ruff hang around.  They did the same thing with the bills when they refused to clean house with RB & his cronies when they should of been shown the door.  My friend told me once that when Pegs took over the Bills he was ready to clean house & his first order of business was to show old Rusty the door but somehow got talked out of it by that used car salesman.  He couldn't of botched the Rex hire up anymore, & then he doubles down & empowers a first time head coach.  MCD shouldn't have this kind of power.  Quite frankly he has not accomplished a dam thing in this league.  & why hire the coach before you have a GM in place.  The whole scenario is bizarre & backwards & will set this organization back another 3 years. 

I vote no , let McD and Beane have 5 years to rebuild . There staff is not good so far.

If the Pegulas spend big time on both there teams scouting departments it will work. 

Edited by ALF
spelling error

Are you insane? You make it sound like we were the guidepost for successful franchises BEFORE the Pegulas bought the Bills. I remember the Bills of the 70s... 80s... mid 90s until now. The calls for new ownership was rampant during all of those time periods.  The ONLY time (early 90s super bowl years) people of western NY were NOT yammering about this is when we had an elite QB.... see the connection???!!!

PS. it was the same way for the Patriots before Brady too

Edited by aceman_16

Just now, aceman_16 said:

Are you insane? You make it sound like we were the guidepost for successful franchises BEFORE the Pegulas bought the Bills. I remember the Bills of the 70s... 80s... mid 90s until now. The calls for new ownership was rampant during all of those time periods.  The ONLY time (early 90s super bowl years) people of western NY were NOT yammering about this is when we had an elite QB.... see the connection???!!!

careful. OP is VERY edgy and emotional right now.

53 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Let me start by saying that I really like the Pegulas as people - they seem like good citizens and possess integrity and beneficence.  And yes, we as fans owe them gratitude for keeping both the Bills and Sabres afloat and in Buffalo.

All of that said, they are horrible owners.  They are well-intentioned and want to win, but clearly have no idea how to do it.  They have empowered the wrong people at the wrong times.  They have proven to be susceptible to good interviews at the expense of more sophisticated due diligence.  They have employed bizarre organizational structures that have undermined the few quality hires they have made.  They have supported borderline insane team building strategies that have resulted in a near-impossible run of sustained failure.  There does not seem to be any end to this trend on the horizon and I’m really struggling to understand what the plan is for turning the Bills and Sabres into winning franchises.  Certainly, pairing first-time GMs with first-time coaches has failed miserably for both teams and, in the case of the Bills, the decision to expel elite talent, rather than maximizing and supporting the talent on hand with quality coaching and added depth, has bombed in spectacular fashion.

In a word, they have destroyed two sports franchises.

I’m wondering if it’s time for Kim and Terry to look for sale partners for one or both teams.  Perhaps they could sell a majority stake and become passive minority owners (although the leagues may have some restrictions on this) or perhaps they should just sell outright.  I’d imagine at this point their investments have appreciated nicely.  Perhaps it is time for them to reap some of those gains and turn the businesses over to individuals or entities that know what they’re doing.

I know some of you will respond to let me know how ungrateful I am.  That’s fine, you’re entitled to your opinions.  My opinion is that the fans here deserve more than just “we kept the franchises in Buffalo” - rather, the fans, who give their hard-earned dollars to billionaires, deserve competence. We’re not getting competence.

Your post is well reasoned and there are many people who agree with your line of thinking. However, respectfully I'm not one of them. The approach McDermott is taking is the right approach. Although he is not being candid in his pronouncements it is apparent that he is going through a major rebuild. That is an excruciating endeavor that many fans are not comfortable with. Too many people believed that this was going to be a serious team when the actions of this staff have clearly indicated that the focus was on the future at the expense of the present. Talented players were let go for draft picks and cap room was made with these departures. The decision-makers traded down in the first round to get an additional first round pick in the following year. If that is not obvious what the strategy was then you are simply not paying attention. 

What is going to make or break this regime is how it handles the next draft with its plethora of picks and the free agent market. Without a doubt the most critical issue for this regime is going to be whether it can bring in a high-end qb prospect. I understand your nervousness and skepticism. (and also Kirby's) but what is being done has a great deal of coherency and strategy behind. It's painful but it is the right approach to take. An incremental approach may seem to be a safer approach but it would only continue the dispiriting status quo of systemic mediocrity. 

You may be worn out and frustrated by how this season has materialized but I'm not because I expected it. If you widen your horizon beyond this year you may have a better understanding of my point of view. My recommendation is to stay the course because it is the right way to rebuild. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Wow!  Amazing how many dumb threads come out for a team that most people around here thought the Bills should tank before the season started. 

You'll not see me bitching if they lose.

I wanted at most 1 win this season.

the problem here is the same as the problem elsewhere in American life. Some people here have over-inflated senses of the worth of their opinions. Coach Tuesday doesn't like McDermott, ergo the billionaire owner of the Bills should sell the team.

Edited by joesixpack

I agree with everything in the OP for the most part. 

Since they bought the Sabres, they have rejected experienced eyes and management.  They have bungled nearly every on-field/ice decision, and I do not have great faith in the 1st time HC/GM combinations, based on the Pegulas' track record.

The Sabres, IMO the poop is going to start to hit the fan.  After this season, they will almost certainly fall below the STH cap, and that will cascade through the STH base as there will be almost no reason to hold season tickets.... if you can just act later and pick them up on a later date instead of blow thousands of dollars withstanding an indefinite amount of bad seasons.  There are going to be very small crowds and paid attendance next season unless things improve.

And if you look.  Under Pegula-only ownership, the Sabres hold the 2nd longest playoff drought in the NHL, and I believe it is a top-10 all-time drought.  

With all that said, Pegula is all in.  I don't think there is a chance he sells.  We can only hope he keeps learning lessons, and maybe gets it right.  I do respect his willingness to spend, and also the stability his family provides for these franchises.  I wish I can just lock him in a room for an hour and try to convince him the benefits of hiring a Football/Hockey 'ceo' and let the build programs from the top down.

Edited by May Day 10