Watkins needs to step up.... Woods out....

Billsfan1972

12 hours ago, H2o said:

Apparently Woods was the WR we should have never let get away. He's having a fantastic year for LA. 

Lets not get carried away with only near term vision now.  The only part of his season that can be labeled fantastic was a 2 week stretch of week 9 and 10....prior to that he was averaging 5 rec a game for 54 yards per game through the first 7 weeks with zero TDs (week 8 was a bye week).  So lets not get crazy here and call it a fantastic season when it was mostly forgettable outside of a couple big weeks.   Even in one of those weeks (week 9), he still only had 4 catches, just 2 of them were for short TD'S.  Then had one of the best game of his career in week 10 going for 8 rec, 171 yards and 2 more TDs.  Against the Vikes he came back to Earth with a solid 8 for 88 yards and no TD game.  

So really he had one big game, a 2nd pretty good game and a solid game followed by 7 mostly forgettable games.  Not quite fantastic.  

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Julio's drop cost them the Carolina game.  How would you react if it was Sammy.

How about watching a Rams game before making assumptions.

The 1000 yards was on the 29th passing offense and 7.5 targets a game so quite impressive actually.

Why would watching a Rams game change  my opinion?  Sammy wasn't elite here, and he's not elite in LA. High end receivers put up production. Sammy hasn't. I don't know why this is hard to understand. You've thrown out more absurd excuses than I think you realize. Again, I think Sammy is a good wr, but you value him far more than he's ever shown to be worth. LA will have to make a business decision. If they give him 12 mill a year, they'really fools. 

1 minute ago, teef said:

Why would watching a Rams game change  my opinion?  Sammy wasn't elite here, and he's not elite in LA. High end receivers put up production. Sammy hasn't. I don't know why this is hard to understand. You've thrown out more absurd excuses than I think you realize. Again, I think Sammy is a good wr, but you value him far more than he's ever shown to be worth. LA will have to make a business decision. If they give him 12 mill a year, they'really fools. 

As said I expect with Woods out Goff will finally  probably need to throw to Watkins.  I expect from here to the end of the season he'll see more targets.  If he doesn't perform, stay healthy and sign for $9-$12,000,000  then I'll admit I'm wrong.

You?

Good game Sunday vs. NO.....  Going to watch?

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm a little confused as well.  The article basically says they need to target Watkins more with Woods out and the OP's talking about Goff being overrated (explaining the lack of production by Watkins).  I think.  If the Rams are counting on Watkins stepping up they're in for a rude awakening.

Well let me help everyone understand Goff/Watkins situation...I watch every Rams game, my second team.

1. Despite the high scoring, Goff isn't that good of a down field thrower yet.  He has hit on a couple big plays, but usually its a short or intermediate throw where the WR makes a big play.  The 2 big plays to Watkins, one was a bad throw that Sammy made an insane catch, and the 2nd Sammy blew by his defenders was open by 7 yards.  Overall though, Goff has a lot to develop still in down field throwing.  
  2. With all the weapons, Sammy has been mostly running deeper patterns, not Goff strong suit.  
  3. Sammy is often open and doesn't see the ball.  But in fairness, there have been others also open at the same time on easier and shorter throws.  Between McVay's ingenuity an the talent of the receivers and TE's, there has been a wealth of clear and easy choices for Goff.

I think what will happen now with Woods out, is that Watkins is going to be running a broader route tree and more of a focus of involvement.  I would expect an uptick in his production while Woods is out, and it could be permanent if the connection excels in his absence.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well let me help everyone understand Goff/Watkins situation...I watch every Rams game, my second team.

1. Despite the high scoring, Goff isn't that good of a down field thrower yet.  He has hit on a couple big plays, but usually its a short or intermediate throw where the WR makes a big play.  The 2 big plays to Watkins, one was a bad throw that Sammy made an insane catch, and the 2nd Sammy blew by his defenders was open by 7 yards.  Overall though, Goff has a lot to develop still in down field throwing.  
  2. With all the weapons, Sammy has been mostly running deeper patterns, not Goff strong suit.  
  3. Sammy is often open and doesn't see the ball.  But in fairness, there have been others also open at the same time on easier and shorter throws.  Between McVay's ingenuity an the talent of the receivers and TE's, there has been a wealth of clear and easy choices for Goff.

I think what will happen now with Woods out, is that Watkins is going to be running a broader route tree and more of a focus of involvement.  I would expect an uptick in his production while Woods is out, and it could be permanent if the connection excels in his absence.

So he's basically just been an effective decoy.  Would you suggest picking him up and starting him in fantasy or will they continue to run the same offense and just throw more to Kupp and Austin?

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How dare you offer an informed opinion and have actually watched the games......  Uninformed opinions when one hasn't seen the Rams are much more sensical.

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

So he's basically just been an effective decoy.  Would you suggest picking him up and starting him in fantasy or will they continue to run the same offense and just throw more to Kupp and Austin?

Scary thing is Kupp & Autin may well be targeted more then Watkins.......

Edited by Billsfan1972

17 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Its not that Sammy is a decoy, that term gets unfairly used.  Everyone has a role on the team, and the Rams are blessed with a talented RB, great stable of WR's and a pretty dangerous rookie TE as well.  They have great route runners on the team, plus gadget guys like Austin to boot.  Sammy is their best deep threat, and he draws the opponents best corner usually.  So, its not that he is a decoy, but you can only run so many guys over the middle and guys like Kupp, Woods, and Austin excel there way more than they do on the outside.  Austin for instance has terrible hands even though he's got great speed deep.  

They are not in position to need to force feed Sammy, and between the route running ability of the top 4 WR's, McVay's ingenuity, and the short comings of Goff as a downfield passer, there have just been less opportunities for Sammy.  But he very much impacts the game every week as he still has to be accounted for on every play.    And he also had a lot less time than the others to develop a rapport with Goff too.  But with Woods out I do expect him to be an interesting play in fantasy as well.  I am starting him a couple leagues this week even though the Saints are not really a good matchup.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Zay will be lucky to ever get to Woods’s level.  That’s a fact.

I don’t know about being lucky. Woods is having a good year it sounds like. Woods can be a Peerless Price in the right system with the right complimentary pieces around him. I think Woods is also enjoying being back West. Zay has shown speed and some talent I don’t think Woods has. Zay is a rookie . In Zay’s third year I hope we are saying ‘man do you remember when we missed Watkins?’.

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"Pussyfoot" needs to step up?  

Good luck with that....

Zero missed games in 2017 which is more than we can say for the player he was traded for in Gaines and the WRs who are supposed to lessen his loss in Matthews, Jones, and now likely Benjamin.  Irony. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Zero missed games in 2017 which is more than we can say for the player he was traded for in Gaines and the WRs who are supposed to lessen his loss in Matthews, Jones, and now likely Benjamin.  Irony. 

Turns out Woods was the loss.  That's the irony.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lets not get carried away with only near term vision now.  The only part of his season that can be labeled fantastic was a 2 week stretch of week 9 and 10....prior to that he was averaging 5 rec a game for 54 yards per game through the first 7 weeks with zero TDs (week 8 was a bye week).  So lets not get crazy here and call it a fantastic season when it was mostly forgettable outside of a couple big weeks.   Even in one of those weeks (week 9), he still only had 4 catches, just 2 of them were for short TD'S.  Then had one of the best game of his career in week 10 going for 8 rec, 171 yards and 2 more TDs.  Against the Vikes he came back to Earth with a solid 8 for 88 yards and no TD game.  

So really he had one big game, a 2nd pretty good game and a solid game followed by 7 mostly forgettable games.  Not quite fantastic.  

It's a fantastic season for him. He's on pace for 80 catches, around 1,100 yards, and 7 or 8 TD's my friend. You wouldn't take that right about now?

24 minutes ago, H2o said:

It's a fantastic season for him. He's on pace for 80 catches, around 1,100 yards, and 7 or 8 TD's my friend. You wouldn't take that right about now?

Don't get me wrong, not knocking him.  Just saying that its easy to see the production in weeks 9 and 10 and feel like he's been huge.  But like I said, prior to those 2 games, the rest of the season he was averaging 5 catches for 50 yards and had no TD's.  Just reminding everyone prior to his hot 2 weeks, he had been pretty mediocre at best.  He had a solid 3rd game this past weekend against Minny with 8 for 88 yards and no scores.  

So its going to come down to how he finishes...is it more like the other 8 weeks or is it more like the 2 weeks of Week 9 and 10.  He's got 8 games that says average, and 2 that says great season.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Personally I think Sammy Watkins is an overhyped one-trick pony.  His game has not translated well to the NFL and injuries aside, he has never been as productive as all of his supporters want to believe he is.  I am glad he is gone from the Bills.  The Doug Whaley era will go down as one of the worst in Bills history.  The price he paid for Watkins was as damaging as any of the collossal blunders made by the Bills over the years.

One of the worst in Bills history? You must have missed a lot of this teams history and I'm talking even pre-drought.

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Don't get me wrong, not knocking him.  Just saying that its easy to see the production in weeks 9 and 10 and feel like he's been huge.  But like I said, prior to those 2 games, the rest of the season he was averaging 5 catches for 50 yards and had no TD's.  Just reminding everyone prior to his hot 2 weeks, he had been pretty mediocre at best.  He had a solid 3rd game this past weekend against Minny with 8 for 88 yards and no scores.  

So its going to come down to how he finishes...is it more like the other 8 weeks or is it more like the 2 weeks of Week 9 and 10.  He's got 8 games that says average, and 2 that says great season.  

And I agree that he has had some meh games, but I also think that LA has A LOT more options than some other teams right now. When you look at how McVay has them playing I think Woods has been an integral part exactly when they needed him to be. If he was still here he would be our #1, even though he reminds me more of a #2 like Peerless Price. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

One of the worst in Bills history? You must have missed a lot of this teams history and I'm talking even pre-drought.

On the field he put up #'s though targeted like a #2 receiver.  Had some injuries and may never have been 100%, but solid #'s.

Like many others I'd like to have seen him thrown the ball and see what he could do with volume.  In 2015 he was 22nd in yards receiving and 47th in targets.  It doesn't seem a stretch that throw him 9 balls/game and he'll catch 6 (the usual #1 %) and then over 16 games that's 96 catches......

Heck look at the excitement that the Bills got Matthews who in 2016 was targeted 117 in 13 starts by a rookie qb.....  In 2016 Philadelphia threw 609 passes vs. Buffalo's 474 (465 in 2015).

Edited by Billsfan1972