Watkins needs to step up.... Woods out....

Billsfan1972

Because I'm so tired about Peterman and the idea he actually may start vs. KC.....

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/36486/with-wr-robert-woods-out-sammy-watkins-must-step-up

Interesting read.  

Watched the Rams/Vikings and Goff did exactly what I've stated would happen when things don't go as smoothly as other times.  

When he needed to score, he failed.  To bring even a bigger smile to my face was his boy Cooper Kupp fumbled on the 1 on a play if you see the highlights, Watkins too was running over the middle wide open in the endzone and ignored, and then dropped a perfect crucial 3rd down pass too (much like Thompson vs. NO, when the game was 17-7)....  

I like Kupp, but reading the article above outlines how seldom Watkins has been targeted and many of them throwaways (Sunday's incompletion to Watkins was into double coverage and thrown out of bounds).

However if they don't throw it to Watkins what can he do?  Again I don't watch all22, but seen him open plenty of times when I watch the Rams.

Now that will be a fun game on Sunday.

Edited by Billsfan1972

11 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I can’t follow the language here.  I have very little idea what you’re even talking about.  

I'm a little confused as well.  The article basically says they need to target Watkins more with Woods out and the OP's talking about Goff being overrated (explaining the lack of production by Watkins).  I think.  If the Rams are counting on Watkins stepping up they're in for a rude awakening.

Edited by Doc Brown

Personally I think Sammy Watkins is an overhyped one-trick pony.  His game has not translated well to the NFL and injuries aside, he has never been as productive as all of his supporters want to believe he is.  I am glad he is gone from the Bills.  The Doug Whaley era will go down as one of the worst in Bills history.  The price he paid for Watkins was as damaging as any of the collossal blunders made by the Bills over the years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I can’t follow the language here.  I have very little idea what you’re even talking about.  

The OP is referencing the Rams-Vikings game on Sunday.  Robert Woods injured his shoulder in that game.  Jared Goff's favorite WR,  Cooper Kupp, caught a pass but fumbled on the 1 going into the EZ.  Sammy Watkins again wasn't targeted much.  IOW, the Vikes defense effectively shut down the Rams high flying passing offense.  Unlike the Bills game, it was a good football game ... I watched it.

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The OP is referencing the Rams-Vikings game on Sunday.  Robert Woods injured his shoulder in that game.  Jared Goff's favorite WR,  Cooper Kupp, caught a pass but fumbled on the 1 going into the EZ.  Sammy Watkins again wasn't targeted much.  IOW, the Vikes defense effectively shut down the Rams high flying passing offense.  Unlike the Bills game, it was a good football game ... I watched it.

Thank you - for future thread-creators, it helps if you actually explain what the heck you are talking about and don’t assume that the rest of us can divine it...

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Personally I think Sammy Watkins is an overhyped one-trick pony.  His game has not translated well to the NFL and injuries aside, he has never been as productive as all of his supporters want to believe he is.  I am glad he is gone from the Bills.  The Doug Whaley era will go down as one of the worst in Bills history.  The price he paid for Watkins was as damaging as any of the collossal blunders made by the Bills over the years.

To the contrary,  Watkins can run every route very well.  The one trick pony assessment is inaccurate. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Made worse by the fact the Bills could have remained at 9, without the trade up and draft capital they had to relinquish, and taken Beckham. UGGGGGHHHH....

35 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Made worse by the fact the Bills could have remained at 9, without the trade up and draft capital they had to relinquish, and taken Beckham. UGGGGGHHHH....

As true as that is, you'll go crazy playing that game.  Instead of drafting Torrell Troup, they could have taken Rob Gronkowski.  Every QB the Bills have had since would have suddently become much better, and the Pats wouldn't have had the same range of weapons. 

OTOH, this year they traded down in the first round, picked up the Chief's first rounder next year, and still got the CB they wanted.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  We just lost too many.

Out of all the first and second rounders the Bills have ever drafted, only six remain on the Bills roster, and three of them are from this year.  THAT'S where the problem is.  Too many poor picks, too many picks useful only for a coach who isn't here anymore (Ragland for Wrecks), too many good players who left as FAs.  THAT'S why the defense is so thin, why the DL is so weak, why the OL is floundering, why we have no WRs that demand special attention.  And as far as we know, that great QB we need is still not here.

• Like (+1) 1

I haven't watched a ton of Rams football, but ... seems to me Woods has proved that he's more than the "solid #2 receiver" we - and the Bills management - thought he was. And since the Rams offense took a huge step forward, I'm not inclined to criticize Sammy. If he's been mostly a decoy or a guy to occupy the other team's best corner, etc., well, that's been good enough. We could use one of those ...

56 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

To the contrary,  Watkins can run every route very well.  The one trick pony assessment is inaccurate. 

Can and does are two different things.  His numbers hardly reflect top flight receiver production in the NFL.  I don’t deny that the guy has talent but he is not elite.

Just now, BuffaloBill said:

Can and does are two different things.  His numbers hardly reflect top flight receiver production in the NFL.  I don’t deny that the guy has talent but he is not elite.

If you believe all he runs are deep routes for the Rams, you're mistaken.  McVay's offense isn't designed to feature one receiver.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

If you believe all he runs are deep routes for the Rams, you're mistaken.  McVay's offense isn't designed to feature one receiver.

We’re not having the same discussion.  I don’t care about the LA offense.  I suppose you are in the camp that says the Bills should not have traded in away.  I am in the camp that says it was a good trade.  The guy never lived up to his hype and Buffalo likely would not have signed him to his second contract at the ridiculous money he is likely to pursue given his average production.

Just now, BuffaloBill said:

We’re not having the same discussion.  I don’t care about the LA offense.  I suppose you are in the camp that says the Bills should not have traded in away.  I am in the camp that says it was a good trade.  The guy never lived up to his hype and Buffalo likely would not have signed him to his second contract at the ridiculous money he is likely to pursue given his average production.

Stipulated.  We'll disagree here. 

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Do you watch Bills games? 

Yes, every one that Watkins has played in.  So, you obviously hold that the trade was bad.  So what?  It’s done and while stranger things have happened Sammy is not coming back.  I look forward to seeing who the Bills draft with the pick.

Watch the rams.  They are not throwing to watkins because Goff is told not to throw onto double coverage, which sammy draws along with their #1 coverage guy.  

Anyone who says kupp is a better receiver or open more often just want to denigrate watkins and knows nothing about football.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Yes, every one that Watkins has played in.  So, you obviously hold that the trade was bad.  So what?  It’s done and while stranger things have happened Sammy is not coming back.  I look forward to seeing who the Bills draft with the pick.

Sure trust the process and who cared about 2017.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Sure trust the process and who cared about 2017.

Do you have fairy dust that erases what is already done?  Perhaps you are of the belief that you get better by repeating or living with the bad decisions or prior regimes.  Maybe it’s that you buy into the fallacy that if you have enoug great skill players they make up for deficiencies at the QB position.  

Yeah, “the process” will take time but it’s what the Bills ownership and leadership bought into.  The situation is not going to change overnight.  Let’s hope it works.