Let's be VERY HONEST about the O-LINE

Punt75

A. Tyrod makes them look better because of his escapability and running ability

B. McCoy has big running games when he gets yardage all on his own [squirts through a small hole, makes a LB miss and runs for 30-40 yards]

C. McCoy has 'bad' games when the line can't open up even a small hole

D. Eric Wood is VERY overrated, can't power block, needs help with pass blocking and is a member of the in-house veteran group that 'works' with the HC

E. John Miller can't get on the field anymore after starting 28 games in '15 and '16 at RG.  He was a third round pick of the Bills.

F.  Jordan Mills is extremely weak at RT.  He was a 5th round pick of the Bears and later was with the Lions.  

G. Vladimir Ducasse at RG was a former 2nd Round pick by the Jets.  Buffalo is his 5th team in 8 NFL seasons

H.  Why isn't Ryan Groy playing?  At Center or Guard!

I.   Dion Dawkins, a rookie, is the best of the group

J. Incognito will be 35 next season but still 2nd best

This entire group is one of the worst in the NFL.  They've become known as a run-blocking group only because of McCoy.  This front has to be blown up and re-built before any progress can be made for the entire team!

I agree 100% Shady and Taylor make this O-Line look like they are amazing run blockers and average pass blockers.

The truth is they are the worst O-Line in the NFL. 

O-Line needs to be completely blown up, the only survivors should be rookies and maybe Glenn. I would honestly move Glenn to Guard, it might help him stay healthy.

2 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

The Oline is terrible, especially the right side and Wood. I can't believe they extended Wood this summer but whatever.

And it doesn't help that Dennison runs a zone blocking scheme that fails to play to the few strengths this group has.

This is my issue with McDermott and his "win now and for the future" philosophy. If you were really trying to win now, you would change the scheme up to fit the current players and then next year change the scheme to fit those players. They are just simply running their own scheme and expecting players to run it well

• Like (+1) 1

Hardly the worse O-Line in the league. Its the same group that led the league in rushing 2 years in a row. True, Taylors running ability skews the numbers in a more positive light but still impressive nonetheless. Its the zone blocking scheme that has caused the issues in the run game. Same old Bills sticking square pegs in round holes.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

This is my issue with McDermott and his "win now and for the future" philosophy. If you were really trying to win now, you would change the scheme up to fit the current players and then next year change the scheme to fit those players. They are just simply running their own scheme and expecting players to run it well

McD must feel like it makes more long term sense to implement and develop his schemes immediately. I think the "win now" talk was mostly lip service until the Bills somehow started 5-2, then McBeane conceded and made the KB move as it didn't mortgage too much of the future. The focus now must solely be on teaching and development.

11 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Agreed. Funny cause lots of people think TT makes the line look bad but I think its the exact opposite like you stated.

Yes he takes a lot of sacks, but he also avoids multiple sacks every single game

He’s both a gift and curse to the o-line. He nails them out but also takes sacks he probably shouldn’t and makes them look bad.

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He’s both a gift and curse to the o-line. He nails them out but also takes sacks he probably shouldn’t and makes them look bad.

Not really........the sacks are an overrated stat wrt Taylor.........he took a lot of them last year and it didn't keep them from scoring,  generating the most big plays in the NFL or not turning the ball over at a historically low level.

And they DID NOT have a high amount of 3 and outs(a 2015 Taylor complaint).

According to Bill Barnwell Taylor ranks 9th among QB's in the NFL at converting 3rd downs this year..........still not turning the ball over........hmmmmm.........I thought that's what sacks did?  Caused 3 and outs and turnovers.    

I guess not when that QB is Taylor.

In the Jets game on ONE DRIVE he converted a 2nd a 24 after a sack......then was sacked again and came within a yard of converting a second and 19 when Matthews fumbled.

What some haters and apparently McD and Dennison have lost sight of is that the OL that Rex and Roman took over was known to be AWFUL........they covered it up with scheme and Taylor.

Why would you expose these lumbering blockers when you have been given a blueprint on how to cover up 4-5 OL that can't pass block?:doh:   

It's an indictment of the intelligence of McD and Dennison for sure.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not really........the sacks are an overrated stat wrt Taylor.........he took a lot of them last year and it didn't keep them from scoring,  generating the most big plays in the NFL or not turning the ball over at a historically low level.

And they DID NOT have a high amount of 3 and outs(a 2015 Taylor complaint).

According to Bill Barnwell Taylor ranks 9th among QB's in the NFL at converting 3rd downs this year..........still not turning the ball over........hmmmmm.........I thought that's what sacks did?  Caused 3 and outs and turnovers.    

I guess not when that QB is Taylor.

In the Jets game on ONE DRIVE he converted a 2nd a 24 after a sack......then was sacked again and came within a yard of converting a second and 19 when Matthews fumbled.

What some haters and apparently McD and Dennison have lost sight of is that the OL that Rex and Roman took over was known to be AWFUL........they covered it up with scheme and Taylor.

Why would you expose these lumbering blockers when you have been given a blueprint on how to cover up 4-5 OL that can't pass block?:doh:   

It's an indictment of the intelligence of McD and Dennison for sure.

Was majority of this post intended for someone else? I feel like you are arguing a point I never made. ?‍♂️

If the Bills have entered into future focus mode... I would:

Start Henderson at RT now that he can play-you have to make a decision on him

Start Groy at RG - the Bills stepped up to keep him by matching the offer sheet...use him on the field

The right side of the OL is in full matador mode with pass protection and all the big runs yesterday went to the left.

• Like (+1) 1

I said this exact thing the night before the game, and that Peterman was going to face some serious pressure. Taylor is elusive, and has turned many would-be sacks into positive yardage, just from his ability to escape. This is one of his best qualities as a QB, but an often overlooked one because he's not the traditional Brady/Manning/etc type pocket passer that many Bills fans want.

Edited by Young34
  • Like (+1) 1

They extended Wood, pulled out their Tyrod and slid in their Peterman. It hasn't worked. The extension for an aging C didnt seem to fit the process. The line has gotten worse since Ducasse went in for Miller and Glenn  was sat down for whatever injury it supposedly is. It needs a major overhaul , and many yards that Shady gets are on his own in spite of the poor blocking. 

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Hardly the worse O-Line in the league. Its the same group that led the league in rushing 2 years in a row. True, Taylors running ability skews the numbers in a more positive light but still impressive nonetheless. Its the zone blocking scheme that has caused the issues in the run game. Same old Bills sticking square pegs in round holes.

Valid points.  We have been missing Glenn much of the season, and Kujo, who backed him up rather capably, is also gone.  But yeah, most of the same guys.

I agree that Taylor masks some deficiencies of the line, but he also hangs onto the ball too ungodly long much of the time.  So it's a bit of a mixed bag there.

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

Funny how we changed coaching and offensive scheme and suddenly the entire offensive line that was integral in leading the league in rushing is garbage and needs to be replaced.  

Noticed that, did you?  They were old and garbage and the entire lot of them needed to be replaced under Marrone in 2014, too.

Amazing how a scheme that suits the players can rejuvenate their skill.

12 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They extended Wood, pulled out their Tyrod and slid in their Peterman. It hasn't worked. The extension for an aging C didnt seem to fit the process. The line has gotten worse since Ducasse went in for Miller and Glenn  was sat down for whatever injury it supposedly is. It needs a major overhaul , and many yards that Shady gets are on his own in spite of the poor blocking. 

You know this kind of puzzles me.  Shady has always been a back who thrives on great blocking, not a guy who makes yards on his own.

2 hours ago, Punt75 said:

A. Tyrod makes them look better because of his escapability and running ability

B. McCoy has big running games when he gets yardage all on his own [squirts through a small hole, makes a LB miss and runs for 30-40 yards]

C. McCoy has 'bad' games when the line can't open up even a small hole

D. Eric Wood is VERY overrated, can't power block, needs help with pass blocking and is a member of the in-house veteran group that 'works' with the HC

E. John Miller can't get on the field anymore after starting 28 games in '15 and '16 at RG.  He was a third round pick of the Bills.

F.  Jordan Mills is extremely weak at RT.  He was a 5th round pick of the Bears and later was with the Lions.  

G. Vladimir Ducasse at RG was a former 2nd Round pick by the Jets.  Buffalo is his 5th team in 8 NFL seasons

H.  Why isn't Ryan Groy playing?  At Center or Guard!

I.   Dion Dawkins, a rookie, is the best of the group

J. Incognito will be 35 next season but still 2nd best

This entire group is one of the worst in the NFL.  They've become known as a run-blocking group only because of McCoy.  This front has to be blown up and re-built before any progress can be made for the entire team!

Are these supposed to be the symptoms or the disease?  John Miller was pretty well regarded last year.  You say "he can't get on the field" as though it's on him, but what if he's still a decent player and it's on the OL coach who can't or won't run a scheme that suits these guys?

Sorry I can't agree about Dawkins.  Not sure what you're seeing.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Yeah he has , but the blocking has dropped off this year and McCoy has shown a lot of ability to make yards on his own. He hasn't had the huge games he had when the line was blocking well, but he's still been quite impressive making things happen on his own.