Future of the QB position

billspro

15 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Implicit in the argument is actually drafting a franchise qb.  Obviously, there is risk, but what we have is not good enough.

You are correct. The post was directed more at drafting. I really have no strong opinions other than if they trade up I hope they are right because it's doom if not. No one can explain away using multiple picks to move up and not landing the franchise QB. 

Also this is Buffalo so I am assuming most likely that rookie starts sooner then later because we will have a same type of year dumpster diving for a QB to play bridge unless it's Tyrod and a whole year of is he good enough debate. Coach has already made the call to throw in a rookie early. Second time this happens and its the wrong call it will get ugly fast I think.

No matter how it plays out. If I agree or not I will hope for the best.

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Lfod said:

My hot take is you build around Tyrod and Shady with every last pick you got. Not against getting a QB in the draft but trading up and getting the wrong guy would be very ugly.

I don't think people ever ask themselves in a realistic way how they would feel if we traded up and got a horrible QB. 

If I am being honest that would be almost refreshing if it failed. The 2010 season we knew was a dumpster fire going into and the last time I had pretty much zero expectations going into it. If we draft a QB and they flame out well he ain't the guy and we probably are drafting Top 5 for the next guy. It has been awful in a sense to go 6-7 years now of being 5-5 now or 4-5 or 5-6 etc.. and know we have the slimmest playoff chance but it does exist only to of course miss. To me if they go for broke and go broke at least I know where we stand, this has been worse in a certain sense.

15 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I disagree...we could use the extra picks to get the QB- let him sit for a year...we will likely have a top 5 pick in 2019 due to not being able to fill holes in 2018...we then trade that top 5 pick for a kings ransom to help build the rest of the team- similar to what SF will be doing this year

Here's a guy who gets it.

Nothing else matters if you don't get a QB.

Literally nothing.

13 minutes ago, corta765 said:

If I am being honest that would be almost refreshing if it failed. The 2010 season we knew was a dumpster fire going into and the last time I had pretty much zero expectations going into it. If we draft a QB and they flame out well he ain't the guy and we probably are drafting Top 5 for the next guy. It has been awful in a sense to go 6-7 years now of being 5-5 now or 4-5 or 5-6 etc.. and know we have the slimmest playoff chance but it does exist only to of course miss. To me if they go for broke and go broke at least I know where we stand, this has been worse in a certain sense.

Fortune favors the bold. I know that sitting on your hands isn't an answer either. I definitely would not be against trading up if the proper home work is done. I wouldn't want them to do it just to do it. 

I think I am more worried because I have seen what a calculated risk looks like to this regime. I think it's me more concerned with who they choose then the actual move to trade up to grab some one. I'm not trusting the ability of risk management 5 interceptions later. Thats the reason for my real hot take.

Edited by Lfod

54 minutes ago, MarylandFan1980 said:

I think they have to take a QB this year.  I know the GM/coach are likely on 5 yr contracts, but if they pass on an early QB this year, you'd be in year 3 (2019) before selecting one and by then the seat may be getting a little hot, not to mention growing pains of a rookie QB.

Rex had a 5 year contract too.

Don't get too comfortable guys. If we're  sitting here in the same place next year this time win wise, your seats will start getting hot real fast.

7 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Rex had a 5 year contract too.

Don't get too comfortable guys. If we're  sitting here in the same place next year this time win wise, your seats will start getting hot real fast.

Hooray for two year coaching and GM changes. It's worked so well.

Whatever we do don't hack it like the 2004 Draft when Eli, Rivers and Big Ben came out and take another Loserman. Focus on 2 QB's and make it happen.

Enough of the BS drafts picks that have don't jack squat over the past 18years. I swear if the Bills draft a DT with their first 1st round pick I might loss my **** and post my Dear John Letter here like Row33

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Fortune favors the bold. I know that sitting on your hands isn't an answer either. I definitely would not be against trading up if the proper home work is done. I wouldn't want them to do it just to do it. 

I think I am more worried because I have seen what a calculated risk looks like to this regime. I think it's me more concerned with who they choose then the actual move to trade up to grab some one. I'm not trusting the ability of risk management 5 interceptions later. Thats the reason for my real hot take.

Agreed. It's easy to trade players to load up on picks and open cap space. It's another thing to draft the right players and add the right FA's. That said give at least Beane some time his season doesn't really start until Feb.

47 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Whatever we do don't hack it like the 2004 Draft when Eli, Rivers and Big Ben came out and take another Loserman. Focus on 2 QB's and make it happen.

Enough of the BS drafts picks that have don't jack squat over the past 18years. I swear if the Bills draft a DT with their first 1st round pick I might loss my **** and post my Dear John Letter here like Row33

They easily could have traded up for Big Ben too. If we sent our 1st and the picks we gave up for Loserman to jump the Steelers this franchise would be a winner right now. Lee Evans was fine but had almost no impact on winning. I am on the wagon of trading as many picks as necessary to get our guy.

17 hours ago, yungmack said:

If you do an honest analysis of this team, the absolute top needs are not at QB. Yes, they need a good one. But they have to massively upgrade the O line and maybe 80% of the overall D immediately this off season. It makes no sense to package a bunch of picks to move up for a top QB who will be wrecked behind the O line. Get the O line right in '18, use '19 to get the QB and get the D started in the right direction, use '20 to fill it out. In 4 or 5 years, they should be ready to make a run at post season play.

Rinse. Repeat.

50 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Literally do WHATEVER it takes to get Rosen.  There are only good pocket passers like that every 5-10 years.  Don't mess around.  Both 1st's and our extra 2nd might get it done.  Make it happen

I would absolutely make that trade, but I suspect Rosen will go #1 overall.  I'm not really sure that's enough and if it's the Browns or Giants, I think they just take Rosen.

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

"neglected the lines for too long..."

Are you kidding me? Really?!

The freaking LINES?!

Do you not remember having Mario, Dareus, Kyle, and Hughes as our DL? That dominating defense that we all loved? I guess I missed the playoff run.

Do you not remember having the best running game in the league two years in a row, with pro bowlers and solid coaching for a change?

We've had good OL and DL the past few years until now.

Ne has mediocre offensive and defensive lines. Who cares? They are unstoppable and will win their 6th Super Bowl this year.

I don't remember pats o-line ever being bad for long.   Unless they are going against an elite D, Brady can pretty much eat lunch while surveying the field.    

32 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Agreed. It's easy to trade players to load up on picks and open cap space. It's another thing to draft the right players and add the right FA's. That said give at least Beane some time his season doesn't really start until Feb.

I can't argue with that. Not enough time has passed to really judge in my view. I'm not negative on this regime and honestly I love the bold moves all year. It was sad to see the 5-2 start like dust in the wind but at least I got the excitement out of it.

We have the ammunition this year so no better time to fire shots in the next draft. I still have a feeling Tyrod can be acceptable with serious talent around him but I would definitely love to have an elite franchise quarter back and finally put all the debates to rest at that position. 

Hopefully the message board experts paint a good picture of who the Bills are likely to draft and all the info around these players. I'm looking forward to reading it all.

19 hours ago, yungmack said:

If you do an honest analysis of this team, the absolute top needs are not at QB. Yes, they need a good one. But they have to massively upgrade the O line and maybe 80% of the overall D immediately this off season. It makes no sense to package a bunch of picks to move up for a top QB who will be wrecked behind the O line. Get the O line right in '18, use '19 to get the QB and get the D started in the right direction, use '20 to fill it out. In 4 or 5 years, they should be ready to make a run at post season play.

Thank you for saying what no one on this board wants to hear, but what is also necessary imho.

Don't get that QB now - this is not a team to develop with. Line play should be the focus, and our number of picks this year helps us in addressing our MANY positional needs more so than packaging them for one chance on a QB. Do we even know if this upcoming class has potential franchise talent or are we just speculating over what's the best out there this year?

'18 fix the trenches. Can't play successful NFL football without establishing dominance on the LOS. Maybe a late round RB talent to help there too as this will be a top priority once Shady starts declining, if not already.

'19 hopefully find the QB, it's difficult when it depends entirely on the draft class, but with focusing on an overall rebuild, having the record from '18 to draft high in '19 would be more likely. Albeit at the expense of our battered fanbase. Continue to work on filling positional needs at LB, DB, RB, WR. And for god's sake development of players, something I haven't seen this team do in the past decade in most any position.

'20 find the QB if it didn't pan out in '19 - hopefully our line play is starting to come along at this point and we've at least established starters at most positions. From this point and on we should be able to focus on the QB solely, and if not only a hand full of other positions. '20+ continue the process

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

Thank you for saying what no one on this board wants to hear, but what is also necessary imho.

Don't get that QB now - this is not a team to develop with. Line play should be the focus, and our number of picks this year helps us in addressing our MANY positional needs more so than packaging them for one chance on a QB. Do we even know if this upcoming class has potential franchise talent or are we just speculating over what's the best out there this year?

'18 fix the trenches. Can't play successful NFL football without establishing dominance on the LOS. Maybe a late round RB talent to help there too as this will be a top priority once Shady starts declining, if not already.

'19 hopefully find the QB, it's difficult when it depends entirely on the draft class, but with focusing on an overall rebuild, having the record from '18 to draft high in '19 would be more likely. Albeit at the expense of our battered fanbase. Continue to work on filling positional needs at LB, DB, RB, WR. And for god's sake development of players, something I haven't seen this team do in the past decade in most any position.

'20 find the QB if it didn't pan out in '19 - hopefully our line play is starting to come along at this point and we've at least established starters at most positions. From this point and on we should be able to focus on the QB solely, and if not only a hand full of other positions. '20+ continue the process

Really?? The Bills will be probably picking around the 10-14 position. Draft either Mayfield or Jackson…

…and they would STILL have another 1st, two 2nds and one third round picks (the rest of the draft)…PLUS free agency.

Seriously...if you can’t fix your trenches with all of that capital after their 1st rd QB pick, then you should quit and go into another business.

• Like (+1) 1

Well if the new staff wouldn't have sat our starting QB they could have done what it thought they were  going to do .

Which is play out the year with Taylor at the helm & keep him in 2018 to work out his contract while they draft another QB & see how Peterman came along after one year of watching TT . But now a totally different plan going forward !!

Now Tyrod is probably thinking he's out even if they don't want him to leave . 

On 11/20/2017 at 8:35 PM, oldmanfan said:

I agree with the above. Posted elsewhere that we have neglected the lines for too long.  

But, if they think a guy like Rosen is can't miss then go get him and trust your scouts and pro personnel folks to find some guys that can play up front through lower round  picks or free agency.

How have the lines been neglected? Cordy and Miller both hurt- thats our major issue for the O line. On the D line Dareus was signed to a big contract but was shown the door. We drafted a DE (Shaq)that has stunk, and Washington who is too small for a one technique. The lines were addressed, just did a poor job getting the right personnel.