Future of the QB position

billspro

Maybe Tyrod steps up his game a little?  The fact that he got benched might actually be a good thing in the long run.  It could be good motivation for him and he won't checkdown as much.  

Not saying he's the long term answer but I'm interesting in seeing how he plays out the rest of the year

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BILLriant said:

I'm not counting Peterman out completly...the man got no help. O line is awful, recievers are injured and the ones playing never went up and fight for the ball...and the defense is a mess. The game got out of hand so fast that it forced them to run more pass plays instead of ground and pound. They put they kid in during a few week span where we are historically one of the worst teams in NFL history   

Have to be honest, I’d like to see Peterman start again - that game did get away super fast (and it all happened right in front of where we were sitting ?).

After KB got hurt, the tipped pick, then a couple poor passes picked while getting smacked in the face (can’t do that, obvi) and we were done.  It was crazy to watch.

While everyone wants to blame it all on NP, or TT for that matter, the its never that simple - it’s a team sport and ours ain’t that good right now...

At least get Nate some action so we know if we have a serviceable back up next year.  Drought be dammned.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Im not going to be popular here at all for this but Nathan is not the player we saw Sunday. He played horrible. Dont sell him down the river yet. Your points on taking the steps and getting this team built for the long haul are spot on. Build the team. It is too old and slow. Give McD time and we will eventually  be good.

Imo, some sense... when it doesn't seem to be all that common at the moment.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

I believe a good QB can hide so many other flaws.  A good, young QB is a ticket to perennial playoff contention.    The Bills are going to finish 5-11 or 6-10.  The D will not improve the rest of the way.  This puts them drafting in the top 10--around number 8. 

Bills have several options drafting this high. 

1) Package the Chiefs #1 (around 25) and our number one and our number 2 should net us a top 3 pick.  Assume that Darnold stays in school.  You are looking at Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph.  If the Bills can get Allen or Rosen -- I would go for it.

2) Stay put at 8- Look at a QB like Clayton Thorson (NW), Luke Falk (Washington State), Jarret Stidham (Auburn)--at 8 you can put this expensive scouting staff to work and find the gem in what others consider the second tier.  Honestly, depending on who declares, the second tier this year is quite good.  Its a buyers market.  If the Bills do this, they may also look at hedging their bets with a veteran who has starting experience.  I believe any of these three QBs is better than the two QBs the Bills have spent mid-first rounders on recently.  If Allen and Rosen are off the board and the Bills could not trade up -- I would stay put and take what others consider to be a second tier or grab Rudolph or Mayfield if they drop past the QB needy teams for some reason.  If its Mayfield -- I could see him doing a table drop tailgate shot at some point.

We'll hear all the bull **** this spring-- they reached, blah, blah, blah.  There is no such thing as a reach for a QB.  You scout like hell and then pick the best of the lot at your pick.  Its not a reach...its a bet.  

If you go with option 2 -- Focus on the lines in the Draft (Except go hard after Star Lotulelei)  and the skill positions in FA.  The last couple of years there are always skill position players who end up on the scrap heap in the offseason (See Jeremy Maclin) -- take advantage of this.

Whatever we do, it better not involve trading up for Josh Allen. That dude sucks.

I'm all in on using Peterman the rest of the year, tanking, and being in a better draft position to get a Franchise QB.

In 2006 there were 2 or 3 blue chip prospects.

Jared Goff, and Carson Wentz

Last year, there were maybe 2 or 3 blue chip QB choices;

Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, maybe Mitchell Trubinski

This year, there's going to be 5 or 6 blue chip choices

Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen

We could take any one of these guys and it's a huge improvement.

Just pray we go 6-10

18 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Have to be honest, I’d like to see Peterman start again - that game did get away super fast (and it all happened right in front of where we were sitting ?).

After KB got hurt, the tipped pick, then a couple poor passes picked while getting smacked in the face (can’t do that, obvi) and we were done.  It was crazy to watch.

While everyone wants to blame it all on NP, or TT for that matter, the its never that simple - it’s a team sport and ours ain’t that good right now...

At least get Nate some action so we know if we have a serviceable back up next year.  Drought be dammned.

My dearest sympathies  for having to watch that in person

4 hours ago, billspro said:

This is probably the most worrisome thing for me following the three losses. I don't think there is anyway we can go back to Tyrod after benching him. I was hoping that he would be a stop gap until we found someone better. 

I was hoping for a lot more out of Peterman, I am not sure he is even a serviceable back up at this point. 

Looking ahead to the draft, Cleveland will certainly be taking a QB with the first overall pick. The Giants, Broncos, Colts, Cards, and Jets are all in the Qb market as well. 

What do the Bills do? Do they trade all our picks to move up to number 2 and take Darnold or Rosen? Should they stay put and take a chance on a guy like Allen or Mayfield in the second? Should they hope a guy like Lamar Jackson fall to them in round 1 (you better find a creative OC)?

If they don't hit on this position this year we are going to be talking about the same thing five years from now. 

The worst thing would be to have Peterman play okay and they decide to go with him and not address the position.

I have full confidence that Beane  and McD will fix the QB position.

As for Peterson, I have a feeling we will see him again.  The second the Bills are out of playoff contention he will be starting.  Last weeks move already established that TT isn't McD's guy.  The only reason he would go back in is because he gives the team a better chance to win, which matters when your in the playoff hunt.

Once we are out of contention, TT will be riding the bench.

If the bills can trade up to pick #2 and draft an Andrew Luck type prospect they should do it.

If they can't (either because they are too far down the draft behind too many QB needy teams and don't have the ammunition to move up, or because there ends up being no prospect good enough to warrant the move up), then they should trade both 2018 1sts for two 2018 2nds and two 2019 1sts.  Go into 2019 with 3 1st round picks and start Nathan Peterman for 2018 to guarantee one of those picks is top 5.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I disagree...we could use the extra picks to get the QB- let him sit for a year...we will likely have a top 5 pick in 2019 due to not being able to fill holes in 2018...we then trade that top 5 pick for a kings ransom to help build the rest of the team- similar to what SF will be doing this year

Thinking more along this line.

If we picked a half an o line and D help next year and had a crappy season half this board would be losing their mind. The logic of doing it is solid but then McBean is in to year three before he gets a QB who would presumably take a couple years just to become more than serviceable?

15 hours ago, billspro said:

This is probably the most worrisome thing for me following the three losses. I don't think there is anyway we can go back to Tyrod after benching him. I was hoping that he would be a stop gap until we found someone better. 

I was hoping for a lot more out of Peterman, I am not sure he is even a serviceable back up at this point. 

Looking ahead to the draft, Cleveland will certainly be taking a QB with the first overall pick. The Giants, Broncos, Colts, Cards, and Jets are all in the Qb market as well. 

What do the Bills do? Do they trade all our picks to move up to number 2 and take Darnold or Rosen? Should they stay put and take a chance on a guy like Allen or Mayfield in the second? Should they hope a guy like Lamar Jackson fall to them in round 1 (you better find a creative OC)?

If they don't hit on this position this year we are going to be talking about the same thing five years from now. 

The worst thing would be to have Peterman play okay and they decide to go with him and not address the position.

The Bills were going nowhere with Taylor. He's a 7-9 win QB. Now you know Peterman probably isn't the answer either. 

"neglected the lines for too long..."

Are you kidding me? Really?!

The freaking LINES?!

Do you not remember having Mario, Dareus, Kyle, and Hughes as our DL? That dominating defense that we all loved? I guess I missed the playoff run.

Do you not remember having the best running game in the league two years in a row, with pro bowlers and solid coaching for a change?

We've had good OL and DL the past few years until now.

Ne has mediocre offensive and defensive lines. Who cares? They are unstoppable and will win their 6th Super Bowl this year.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, yungmack said:

If you do an honest analysis of this team, the absolute top needs are not at QB. Yes, they need a good one. But they have to massively upgrade the O line and maybe 80% of the overall D immediately this off season. It makes no sense to package a bunch of picks to move up for a top QB who will be wrecked behind the O line. Get the O line right in '18, use '19 to get the QB and get the D started in the right direction, use '20 to fill it out. In 4 or 5 years, they should be ready to make a run at post season play.

While they can't sell the farm for a QB they have to draft one in 2018. It's got talent that is 1st round worthy and you cannot sell this team with a journeyman next year. You cannot keep passing the buck year after year for a QB for other needs. There is almost never a perfect year to grab a guy and if there is everyone wants him.

As a fan if they don't grab a QB next year there is zero reason for me to attend a game because I know the season is already set for 4-5 wins then.

I think they have to take a QB this year.  I know the GM/coach are likely on 5 yr contracts, but if they pass on an early QB this year, you'd be in year 3 (2019) before selecting one and by then the seat may be getting a little hot, not to mention growing pains of a rookie QB.

The Bills pick is probably going to be in the 10-15 range (I think they about 7-9 regardless of QB).  The Chiefs will probably select around 20 depending on how they finish.

Trade partners are likely Giants/Colts/49ers/Bears.  Each is rather poor this year and will probably not be looking at QB (I know about Eli and Luck, but I think both teams will resist a QB).

Cleveland sits at #1 and has to take a QB.  At some point, they have to start trying to win games, not stockpiling future picks.

If the Bills sit in the top 10, I could see them trying to package something to move up with one of the teams mentioned above.  That'd probably take both 1st rd picks and something else.  I'd probably only do it for Rosen/Darnold (if he declares).  After those 2, I think Jackson/Allen/Mayfield/Rudolph fall into the 2nd group.  They may sit tight and see who falls to them.

5 minutes ago, MarylandFan1980 said:

I think they have to take a QB this year.  I know the GM/coach are likely on 5 yr contracts, but if they pass on an early QB this year, you'd be in year 3 (2019) before selecting one and by then the seat may be getting a little hot, not to mention growing pains of a rookie QB.

The Bills pick is probably going to be in the 10-15 range (I think they about 7-9 regardless of QB).  The Chiefs will probably select around 20 depending on how they finish.

Trade partners are likely Giants/Colts/49ers/Bears.  Each is rather poor this year and will probably not be looking at QB (I know about Eli and Luck, but I think both teams will resist a QB).

Cleveland sits at #1 and has to take a QB.  At some point, they have to start trying to win games, not stockpiling future picks.

If the Bills sit in the top 10, I could see them trying to package something to move up with one of the teams mentioned above.  That'd probably take both 1st rd picks and something else.  I'd probably only do it for Rosen/Darnold (if he declares).  After those 2, I think Jackson/Allen/Mayfield/Rudolph fall into the 2nd group.  They may sit tight and see who falls to them.

Don't care about the 5 yr contract.  Seat will be flaming, not "a little hot."  Giants are almost certain to take a qb and if the Colts aren't sold on Luck returning to health, they may be looking as well.  Browns, Cards, Jets, if you go through the league, lots of teams need qb.  I agree Bears and 49ers are potential trade partners; Colts, too, if they are okay with Luck.

My hot take is you build around Tyrod and Shady with every last pick you got. Not against getting a QB in the draft but trading up and getting the wrong guy would be very ugly.

I don't think people ever ask themselves in a realistic way how they would feel if we traded up and got a horrible QB. 

Edited by Lfod

7 minutes ago, Lfod said:

My hot take is you build around Tyrod and Shady with every last pick you got. Not against getting a QB in the draft but trading up and getting the wrong guy would be very ugly.

I don't think people ever ask themselves in a realistic way how they would feel if we traded up and got a horrible QB. 

Implicit in the argument is actually drafting a franchise qb.  Obviously, there is risk, but what we have is not good enough.