Of all our "hot" starts, is this by far the worst?

Steptide

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

We started 5-2 in 2008, 2011, and 2017.

True, but we've had quite a few good starts only to be let down. The sad thing is, of all those good starts, the only team that we beat that was really good was the Pats in 2011. Every other team I can think of beating in these hot starts was never really good that particular year, unless I'm forgetting someone 

I think the 2008 was the worst. Started 5-1 then Trent got his clock cleaned on a head shot and went 1-9 to finish the season.  There was more than a glimmer of hope that year but it all feel apart after that hit and Captain checkdown was born.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I think the 2008 was the worst. Started 5-1 then Trent got his clock cleaned on a head shot and went 1-9 to finish the season.  There was more than a glimmer of hope that year but it all feel apart after that hit and Captain checkdown was born.

Trent was shell shocked after that hit.  

25 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

This one was a mirage.   No way those TOs were sustainable.   Should of seen it coming. 

Someone in the national media (I think it was Bill Barnwell on ESPN.com) said in a column a couple weeks ago that the Bills defense would regress to the mean during the 2nd half of the season.  I didn't want to believe it but, alas, here we are...

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

2011 I'd say is about equal if not worse.   Remember we had the big Patriots win in week 3 that year where it felt we finally got that monster off our shoulders.  After a 5-2 start that year as well:

Week 9 Loss to Jets 27-11

Week 10 Loss to Cowboys 44-7

Week 11 Loss to Dolphins 35-8

Following that recipe were due to get one more win this year.  It's like this year I almost saw this coming even though I wished it didnt

Yeah, that was worse. This year always felt like a smoke and mirrors thing to me. Back then I was a fool - I really believed we had turned the corner.

13 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yeah, that was worse. This year always felt like a smoke and mirrors thing to me. Back then I was a fool - I really believed we had turned the corner.

Same here, beating the Patriots that year made me Bill-ieve, especially in Fitz-Magic (though I wasn't that much of a sucker to buy a Fitz-Magic shirt that year).

I would have to had wait a couple more weeks this year before I really bought in. 

Just now, Another Fan said:

Same here, beating the Patriots that year made me Bill-ieve, especially in Fitz-Magic (though I wasn't that much of a sucker to buy a Fitz-Magic shirt that year).

I would have to had wait a couple more weeks this year before I really bought in. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we had retained Fitz in 2013 and brought in some good recievers, that we would've made the playoffs. Think of Fitz with those 2013 and 2014 teams. Think we could've possibly made the playoffs those years with him. He definitely wasn't the long term answer by any means. But Imo he is better than Ej and Kyle Orton and it's debatable if he's better than Tyrod 

39 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Someone in the national media (I think it was Bill Barnwell on ESPN.com) said in a column a couple weeks ago that the Bills defense would regress to the mean during the 2nd half of the season.  I didn't want to believe it but, alas, here we are...

At this point I would be happy if we could get back to average.

18 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we had retained Fitz in 2013 and brought in some good recievers, that we would've made the playoffs. Think of Fitz with those 2013 and 2014 teams. Think we could've possibly made the playoffs those years with him. He definitely wasn't the long term answer by any means. But Imo he is better than Ej and Kyle Orton and it's debatable if he's better than Tyrod 

Fitz actually hasn't been doing too shabby these last couple weeks.  I always really liked him as he came across as a very likeable guy. 

You may be right about 2013 & 2014.  I just remember he really struggled here after he got his contract. 

Just now, Another Fan said:

Fitz actually hasn't been doing too shabby these last couple weeks.  I always really liked him as he came across as a very likeable guy. 

You may be right about 2013 & 2014.  I just remember he really struggled here after he got his contract. 

Yes, and struggled with the jets last year after getting a contract. He definitely had some awful moments, but in hindsight keeping him in  the 13/14 seasons would've probably played out much better for the bills 

17 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Yes, and struggled with the jets last year after getting a contract. He definitely had some awful moments, but in hindsight keeping him in  the 13/14 seasons would've probably played out much better for the bills 

You could dream up a pretty decent alternative history in which we kept Fitzy, never drafted EJ, kept Fitzy through his big money years (I think that means through 2015), went QB shopping in the 2016 draft, and came away with Dak Prescott. But knowing us, we would've come away with Paxton Lynch ...