This Roster Will Take 2-3 Years To Fix

ndirish1978

On 11/20/2017 at 6:30 PM, ndirish1978 said:

I originally put this in another thread, then, because I am a special snowflake I erased the post and decided my 5 minutes of effort was worthy of it's own thread. This team will be devoid of talent for a while. All those picks we have now are going to get packaged to try and get the 2nd pick of the draft. As a result, if we land 3 starters in next year's draft I would be shocked. We have a tremendous need of at least 10 new players just to field a non-trash roster. Be prepared to start next season looking at the roster and saying "who is that starter?"

Positions that will have to be addressed this offseason are in red.

Offense - we have FIVE positions of extreme need with one decent player likely being replaced by someone on the roster.

QB -Tyrod - GONE

RB - Shady - Over 30 and has no backup

WR - Kelvin Benjamin - 1 more year on contract

WR - Jordan Matthews - Injured and would need to be re-signed or replaced 

WR - Zay Jones - Here for the foreseeable future

TE - Charles Clay - perennially injured. Back ups are not great. Needs to be replaced

T - Cordy Glenn - Can't find the field because of injury - Big cap number - Might be supplanted by Dawkins

G - Richie Incognito - 34 yrs old

C - Eric Wood - 31 - signed an extension this offseason

G - Vlad the Turnstile - Please get him off my team. Miller is equally bad. 

T - Jordan Mills - See Vlad above

Defense - Ideally we would replace the whole D-Line. Realistically - we're stuck with at least 2 of them. That leaves us with FIVE immediate needs on D. 

DE - Shaq Lawson - He's not going anywhere next year

DT - Adolphus Washington - Should be a rotational player, but will start here next year.

DT - Kyle Williams - Will retire

DE - Jerry Hughes - Poor production, can't survive being the only pass rushing threat. Should be moved, but will stay because who else do we have- unless we manage to trade him.

OLB - Lorenzo Alexander - Nice guy, shouldn't be starting

MLB - Preston Brown - Nope

OLB - Ramon Humber - Average, needs to be replaced. Matt Milano should be depth, not a starter

CB - Tre White - So far this is the first player on the team I'm happy about

CB - EJ Gaines/Shareece Wright - Gaines can't stay healthy and Wright is not amazing

S - Jordan Poyer - Starter

S - Micah Hyde - Starter

I'm with you on a lot of these players.  The one I'll disagree with is Gaines.  If he can somehow manage to stay healthy, I think he's a capable starter.  The bigger problem is a lack of overall depth on this team.  McDermott and Beane need to find good players fast

On 11/20/2017 at 6:48 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm not so sure. We have a bunch of high picks. We could sign 3-4 solid players in free agency. And if we get rid of a couple more of our stars for sixth rounders, those picks could really pan out. 

I agree.  But I think "the process" is to go from the oldest team in the NFL to the youngest and let them develop together.  That's my hope, anyway.  Once Beane and McD were hired, I convinced myself that 2019 was the year for this team to be a contender.  And I'm totally cool with that.

2 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Get your franchise QB and fill holes through the draft and FA with smart picks.  All of this will be solved with consistency and quality at QB.  Having said that we need to develop a cohesive O line.  

I agree with this plan.

Without the right QB, the rest doesn't matter.

With the right QB, the rest still doesn't matter.  

Just get the right QB.

On 11/20/2017 at 6:45 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Shady is not OVER 30

he is 29 and a fresh 29 who doesn't take too many big hits

He will be traded after this year. The only reason it didn't happen this season is because the cap ramifications were too high.

This team is re-building and that includes resetting and fixing the cap issues.

1 minute ago, BrooklynBills said:

He will be traded after this year. The only reason it didn't happen this season is because the cap ramifications were too high.

But good thing we have Tolbert behind him so no worries. 

1 minute ago, BrooklynBills said:

Getting rid of another all pro is pointless .

especially one that will be going to Canton one day. Shady is our team at this point. He catches the ball at a high rate and is obviously phenomenal running 

creating more holes is pointless. Especially because shady has bought in to the process

On 20/11/2017 at 7:07 PM, yungmack said:

If you were an elite FA (and why would the Bills want anything but elite?), would you sign with this mess?

Thats exactly what ive been saying all along.

Aint no player in their right mind is coming anywhere near this trainwreck until its fixed and even then we'll be overpaying.

Such a shame.

15 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Aint no player in their right mind is coming anywhere near this trainwreck until its fixed and even then we'll be overpaying.

Such a shame.

If you think we're going to be building a team through FA, you haven't been paying attention.

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

If you think we're going to be building a team through FA, you haven't been paying attention.

If you think were building a team solely through the draft, then you havent been paying attention to our many needs and limited draft picks.

We will be forced to address some needs through FA.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:30 AM, ndirish1978 said:

I originally put this in another thread, then, because I am a special snowflake I erased the post and decided my 5 minutes of effort was worthy of it's own thread. This team will be devoid of talent for a while. All those picks we have now are going to get packaged to try and get the 2nd pick of the draft. As a result, if we land 3 starters in next year's draft I would be shocked. We have a tremendous need of at least 10 new players just to field a non-trash roster. Be prepared to start next season looking at the roster and saying "who is that starter?"

Offense - we have FIVE positions of extreme need with one decent player likely being replaced by someone on the roster.

QB -Tyrod - GONE

TE - Charles Clay - perennially injured. Back ups are not great. Needs to be replaced

T - Cordy Glenn - Can't find the field because of injury - Big cap number - Might be supplanted by Dawkins

Defense - Ideally we would replace the whole D-Line. Realistically - we're stuck with at least 2 of them. That leaves us with FIVE immediate needs on D. 

DT - Adolphus Washington - Should be a rotational player, but will start here next year.

DE - Jerry Hughes - Poor production, can't survive being the only pass rushing threat. Should be moved, but will stay because who else do we have- unless we manage to trade him.

OLB - Ramon Humber - Average, needs to be replaced. Matt Milano should be depth, not a starter

CB - EJ Gaines/Shareece Wright - Gaines can't stay healthy and Wright is not amazing

S - Micah Hyde - Starter

Overall a fine post, but I do have some disagreements.

I don't think they have much of a chance to move up to #2. As it stands, the first two teams in the draft are likely to have extreme needs at QB. If we move up, it will likely be to grab the #3 or #4 QB. My guess is that they will have some of that extra draft capital left over even assuming they go QB in the first.

I think you're undervaluing Ducasse. Joe B has ranked him pretty decently in his play by play film analysis. Had him ranked as the best Bill on the field last week. I'm not thrilled with him but the need there isn't as bad as it is at RT and LB and CB.

I'm also not as down on Cordy Glenn as you are. He was on the field a lot early in his career. His injury has kept him off the field lately but it seems to be one injury that's taking a lot of time rather than that he's injury-prone by nature. I'm still very hopeful that he could be in our future plans which would leave Dawkins available to maybe fill a hole elsewhere if he proves capable of doing so. 

Yeah, it'll all need time. And yeah there are a lot of weaknesses on this roster. But IMHO the draft will be better than you're predicting and being in the second year of our systems will help more than most people think.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Such a shame.

Yeah, like no free agents joined the 1-15 total rebuild-driven Browns after last year. Oh, wait, they did.

Sure, the Bills won't get any of the high-demand guys but they've made it pretty clear that's not how they'll use free agency anyway. They're from the build the majority of the team through the draft and fill in the gaps with low- and medium-priced free agents school. Which is really the way that the best teams in the NFL year after year, the Pittsburghs, the New Englands, the Green Bays, the Atlantas and yeah the Carolinas treat free agency.

For all but the top few guys free agents mostly don't get a ton of money and they end up making decisions mostly around the contract offers.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:30 PM, ndirish1978 said:

QB -Tyrod - GONE

S - Micah Hyde - Starter

BOOM !! 

you nailed it

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Not if this team doesn’t get better.

This year won't get better but we will get a lot of the guys we need next year. They wanted to win this year but they had to get rid of guys who didn't buy in or fit. We did well with the "talent" we have but once the league figured us out we just don't have the horses to do it.