This Roster Will Take 2-3 Years To Fix

ndirish1978

48 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Shady is not OVER 30

he is 29 and a fresh 29 who doesn't take too many big hits

I stand corrected. He is super young and we don't need to draft his replacement then. We should neglect the position til he's over the hill. Also, you should note that he is not in red.

19 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I dunno, I wasn't complaining, just pointing out that our roster has tons of holes and we're going to have to be patient. I know everyone here is as bummed as I am about sucking this year, but that's not likely to change overnight. 

As I just mentioned to Rico..........McD's regime hasn't done much in FA or the draft to jumpstart their own rebuild this year.

Everyone is excited about the picks they have but they came at a personnel cost.    

They simply haven't done much in building up any youth to develop at the bottom of their roster this year.

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

I stand corrected. He is super young and we don't need to draft his replacement then. We should neglect the position til he's over the hill. Also, you should note that he is not in red.

Well we definitely need a backup but he can easily play 4-5 more years and he has said he wants too

i was just pointing out he was 29. There is a big difference betweeen a 32 year old back and 29

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well we definitely need a backup but he can easily play 4-5 more years and he has said he wants too

i was just pointing out he was 29. There is a big difference betweeen a 32 year old back and 29

You're right. 

The Bills roster is a mess. 

We have one impact player on the whole roster in Lesean McCoy and I'm not joking when I say our second best player is our kicker. 

Aside from that, we're below average across the depth chart. 

QB - below average

RB - no depth

WR - no elite talent

TE - no elite talent

OL - below average

DL - below average 

LB - below average 

CB - below average

S - below average

The Bills are lucky they have so many draft picks because they seriously need to find some impact players. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

We have one impact player on the whole roster in Lesean McCoy and I'm not joking when I say our second best player is our kicker. 

QB - below average

RB - no depth

WR - no elite talent

TE - no elite talent

OL - below average

DL - below average 

LB - below average 

CB - below average

S - below average

The Bills are lucky they have so many draft picks because they seriously need to find some impact players. 

They are likely going to trade their top 3-4 picks just to move up for a QB, we're not as set as you think.

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

They are likely going to trade their top 3-4 picks just to move up for a QB, we're not as set as you think.

I don't think they can. To move from the 15-20 range into the top 5 would cost an astronomical number of draft picks. 

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

You could fix this team in a week if they would change up the scheme a little on offense. 

What about the defense? 

Currently:

25th in total D

23rd in points allowed

24th in pass yards

25th in rush yards

This defense is horrendous, and getting worse on a weekly basis. 

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

I originally put this in another thread, then, because I am a special snowflake I erased the post and decided my 5 minutes of effort was worthy of it's own thread. This team will be devoid of talent for a while. All those picks we have now are going to get packaged to try and get the 2nd pick of the draft. As a result, if we land 3 starters in next year's draft I would be shocked. We have a tremendous need of at least 10 new players just to field a non-trash roster. Be prepared to start next season looking at the roster and saying "who is that starter?"

Positions that will have to be addressed this offseason are in red.

Offense - we have FIVE positions of extreme need with one decent player likely being replaced by someone on the roster.

QB -Tyrod - GONE

RB - Shady - Over 30 and has no backup

WR - Kelvin Benjamin - 1 more year on contract

WR - Jordan Matthews - Injured and would need to be re-signed or replaced 

WR - Zay Jones - Here for the foreseeable future

TE - Charles Clay - perennially injured. Back ups are not great. Needs to be replaced

T - Cordy Glenn - Can't find the field because of injury - Big cap number - Might be supplanted by Dawkins

G - Richie Incognito - 34 yrs old

C - Eric Wood - 31 - signed an extension this offseason

G - Vlad the Turnstile - Please get him off my team. Miller is equally bad. 

T - Jordan Mills - See Vlad above

Defense - Ideally we would replace the whole D-Line. Realistically - we're stuck with at least 2 of them. That leaves us with FIVE immediate needs on D. 

DE - Shaq Lawson - He's not going anywhere next year

DT - Adolphus Washington - Should be a rotational player, but will start here next year.

DT - Kyle Williams - Will retire

DE - Jerry Hughes - Poor production, can't survive being the only pass rushing threat. Should be moved, but will stay because who else do we have- unless we manage to trade him.

OLB - Lorenzo Alexander - Nice guy, shouldn't be starting

MLB - Preston Brown - Nope

OLB - Ramon Humber - Average, needs to be replaced. Matt Milano should be depth, not a starter

CB - Tre White - So far this is the first player on the team I'm happy about

CB - EJ Gaines/Shareece Wright - Gaines can't stay healthy and Wright is not amazing

S - Jordan Poyer - Starter

S - Micah Hyde - Starter

Well with words like "process" and "rebuild," seeing these outcomes usually takes longer than a year. Which is what our beginning 5-2 record seemed to make a lot of us (myself included, admittedly) forget. 

I agree this team is no where near a solid perennial playoff contender, much less a single season threat. Our roster has quickly began to age out at key positions of need, over paid in select areas, and we have neglected or suffered through mediocrity for too long at other positions just to sustain "potential" playoff berths and "chances" that pop up every now and again. 

I want the drought to end. Now. Yesterday...okay I wanted it over before it began, But I want a perennial contender more than I want us to not go 20 years of drought. This is a 2-3 year process in and of itself. I agree with all the identified positions of need you drew out here, probably with more emphasis on the OL and defensive Front 7 and moving from there, but agreed. We're on the way there, but rebuilds and processes take time, period. 

Its pretty grim in my eyes.    The Ds front 7 needs a complele retooling.   The CB position is thin, especially if Gaines goes elsewhere.  Almost everyone agrees on a franchise QB.    The OL has holes and needs upgraded.   WR could become thin again.   Mathews could go in free agency and KB is on his 5th year contract in 18. so what happens if he goes in 22 more games.   Would leave Zay and Holmes.  The rbs are Shady and nobodys.    

Yeah im excited about the picks in the future.   But boy Beane has to hit on a lot them.     Ive seen too may picks in round 1-3 goes to the likes of Maybin,  McCargo, Ragland, Troup.   Yeah there's a new GM and scouts.  Personally I think this rebuild is 2 things at once,   getting the extra picks and better managing the cap down the line.     Two things I dont think a guy like Whaley was very good at.  

Edited by billsfan714

56 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Plenty of time for us to spend the next few years signing and drafting guys for this regime’s schemes only to hire new coaches that will want to run something entirely different.

This.  Hamsters on a wheel: rolling along but never going anywhere.

42 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Look at the Eagles. Where were they three years ago? Hmmmmm. . . . . Bill are in year 1 of new regime. I for one will trust the process.

YOU look at the Eagles.  Three years ago they finished 10-6 and just missed the playoffs.  In 2013 they won the NFCE.  Since 2000, the Eagles have had 12 winning seasons and made the playoffs 10 times.  When they realized that Chip Kelly was a mistake, they fired his arse rather than give him more time to screw up their team.

40 minutes ago, yungmack said:

If you were an elite FA (and why would the Bills want anything but elite?), would you sign with this mess?

If you were a journeyman FA, would you sign with this mess if you had any other alternative?

39 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We are fresh out of "Whaley mistakes". The last one was shipped to Jacksonville.

:thumbsup:   

20 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

This thread could have been any one of the last 15 years. We are always 2-3 years away....

NOTE to OP: save your post so that you have a template for future use with the next regimes ...

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

QB - below average

RB - no depth

WR - no elite talent

TE - no elite talent

OL - below average

DL - below average 

LB - below average 

CB - below average

S - below average

It's now a roster worthy of an expansion team.

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't think they can. To move from the 15-20 range into the top 5 would cost an astronomical number of draft picks. 

Yeah but look at it from a business model POV.  Which is more likely to generate more revenue?  A QB drafted in the Top 5 or a DT, MLB, and C?

Beane is no genius... If his plan was to rebuild, he should have sold his plan to the Pegulas and to the fans and stayed the course... He could have traded Wood and Incognito for decent draft picks while they still had value... They will be wasted in the next 1-2 years.... Could have given them a chance to join a contender... Instead, he falls under the delusion of our fast start... No doubt the owners gave him pressure... We certainly did as fans... smh...

41 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

What about the defense? 

Currently:

25th in total D

23rd in points allowed

24th in pass yards

25th in rush yards

This defense is horrendous, and getting worse on a weekly basis. 

I believe you could do the same on defense. As ridiculous as it sounds, I'd start blitzing on almost every down. What difference does it make? Teams are torching our secondary regardless. Start pressuring the qb

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Plenty of time for us to spend the next few years signing and drafting guys for this regime’s schemes only to hire new coaches that will want to run something entirely different.

That's why you give Beane and McDermott 5 years minimum.

Turnover the past decade hasn't helped matters either.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

We are fresh out of "Whaley mistakes". The last one was shipped to Jacksonville.

I would take Whaley any day over our present GM. This guy has made more blunders in one year than Whaley has in his whole tenure. We were one year away from the playoffs.Now we are back to 3 years away.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, McBean said:

That's why you give Beane and McDermott 5 years minimum.

Turnover the past decade hasn't helped matters either.

Lol what? You don just give these guys 5 years minimum. You keep them if they produce simple as that. Do you really think keeping guys like Chan, Jauron or Rex longer would have yielded different results? Get real.

Edited by Bangarang

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I originally put this in another thread, then, because I am a special snowflake I erased the post and decided my 5 minutes of effort was worthy of it's own thread. This team will be devoid of talent for a while. All those picks we have now are going to get packaged to try and get the 2nd pick of the draft. As a result, if we land 3 starters in next year's draft I would be shocked. We have a tremendous need of at least 10 new players just to field a non-trash roster. Be prepared to start next season looking at the roster and saying "who is that starter?"

Positions that will have to be addressed this offseason are in red.

Offense - we have FIVE positions of extreme need with one decent player likely being replaced by someone on the roster.

QB -Tyrod - GONE

RB - Shady - Over 30 and has no backup

WR - Kelvin Benjamin - 1 more year on contract

WR - Jordan Matthews - Injured and would need to be re-signed or replaced 

WR - Zay Jones - Here for the foreseeable future

TE - Charles Clay - perennially injured. Back ups are not great. Needs to be replaced

T - Cordy Glenn - Can't find the field because of injury - Big cap number - Might be supplanted by Dawkins

G - Richie Incognito - 34 yrs old

C - Eric Wood - 31 - signed an extension this offseason

G - Vlad the Turnstile - Please get him off my team. Miller is equally bad. 

T - Jordan Mills - See Vlad above

Defense - Ideally we would replace the whole D-Line. Realistically - we're stuck with at least 2 of them. That leaves us with FIVE immediate needs on D. 

DE - Shaq Lawson - He's not going anywhere next year

DT - Adolphus Washington - Should be a rotational player, but will start here next year.

DT - Kyle Williams - Will retire

DE - Jerry Hughes - Poor production, can't survive being the only pass rushing threat. Should be moved, but will stay because who else do we have- unless we manage to trade him.

OLB - Lorenzo Alexander - Nice guy, shouldn't be starting

MLB - Preston Brown - Nope

OLB - Ramon Humber - Average, needs to be replaced. Matt Milano should be depth, not a starter

CB - Tre White - So far this is the first player on the team I'm happy about

CB - EJ Gaines/Shareece Wright - Gaines can't stay healthy and Wright is not amazing

S - Jordan Poyer - Starter

S - Micah Hyde - Starter

Excellent post! I started getting this feeling earlier this am and expect more trades for 2019 picks next season as well. I honestly think this is closer to a 3-4 year rebuild if you factor in a trade up for a qb...

Need a new QB via draft if the price is right.

we need a #1 Receiver... KB likely gone after next year and Matthews is whatever.

TE Clay is never healthy enough. 

Shady is good, but we need a good RB2... like gillislee.

Agreed with the OL, they all need to go.

KWilliams is gone.  Unhappy with Shaq's production, he's bad.  Washington i'm fine with. Hughes im fine with too.  Hughes won't be where he was a couple years ago without a more dominant DL.

Lonzo is HORRIBLE in coverage, but a good pass rusher. Should only be in pass rush plays. 

Brown is alright.

Humber is whatever.

Gaines is fine, but not tall enough.