Bob Matthews: Well, That Didn't Work Out Too Well

JM2009

https://wham1180.iheart.com/fea

"We know who called Sunday’s Tyrod Taylor-to-rookie Nathan Peterman switcheroo: coach Sean McDermott. Ooops. Peterman threw five interceptions in the first half and Buffalo lost 54-24 at the underrated Los Angeles Chargers, who said they were insulted and inspired by the Taylor-to-Peterman switch.

Three weeks ago, the Bills were 5-2, thinking playoffs and McDermott was a hot candidate for NFL Coach of the Midseason. The main reason for the team’s success was an NFL-best plus-14 in turnovers.

Then Buffalo suffered lopsided losses to the Jets and New Orleans. They were total team lack-of-efforts.

Taylor was ineffective. So were most of his teammates. But Tyrod became the scapegoat.

I hated McDermott’s explanation before and after Sunday’s 54-24 loss: He was making the switch for the present and for the future.

Most of the fans and western New York media were ripe for the move: Taylor can’t do this. Can’t do that. Can’t take us to the Super Bowl.

I was in the other camp. Before McDermott leads the Bills to Super Bowl glory, could he please make ending the hideous 17-year playoff drought the top priority?

I get why McDermott isn’t nearly as frustrated by that playoff drought as some of us are. He just got here. He gets a free pass for a few years.

But the AFC is incredibly weak this season. 9-7 almost surely would be good enough for a wild-card playoff berth. 8-8 might be good enough.

tured/bob-matthews-column/content/2017-11-20-matthews-well-that-didnt-work-out-too-well/

Edited by JM2009
  • Like (+1) 1

You need to add the first name of the writer to the thread title to avoid confusion with Jordan Matthews.

2 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

How do I add it?

2 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

How do I add it?

Edit the OP which will allow you to change the title. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You need to add the first name of the writer to the thread title to avoid confusion with Jordan Matthews.

Edit the OP which will allow you to change the title. 

Thanks. Didn't know we can go back and fix thread titles.

After 5 turnovers, Peterman had every opportunity and motive to throw his helmet at the coach and walk off the field..........he stayed in, held his composure the best he could and trudged along until he was finally pulled.

Honestly, it wasnt all on Peterman...........playcalling, tipped passes, a weak Oline and missed assignments are to blame as contributors, as well as a coaching staff that didnt recognize that Peterman may not have been ready.

People may call it a backfire............i call it par for the course with this franchise.

No surprise here.

Well the Bills have done it to me again. I started this season with low expectations. But low and behold they were winning and my expectations started to rise only to be crushed under the clumsy feet of the Bills. Where did that stingy defense go with the mediocre offense? Did the players lose faith in "the process"? Or are they not putting the effort needed to win games?

A valid argument. To add, just like back in 2000, this Coaching decision is now a national joke (if you missed PTI, go watch the podcast of it). Ironically, in the year when it looks like the clearest path the Bills had to the play-offs since that 2000 season, they pull off a coaching decision of equal blunder and ineptitude. There is a synergy here. Stranger Things has nothing on the Bills organization. Certainly, there has been enough corporate weirdness around this team over the past 17 years for a hit TV show. The Flutie Curse lives on.

Yes, Tyrod Taylor is not a franchise quarterback, but he is still the best one on the team. So much, Mr. McDermott, for the merit system you have advocated for all year--best man plays? You lost your fans, and now your players with that decision.

The only way out? A public apology to Nate Peterman, to Tyrod Taylor, to your team, and to the fanbase. Admit you made a colossal mistake. Reinstate Taylor as your starter, and hope like heck he pulls out a win for you next week. 

Edited by CSBill

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

After 5 turnovers, Peterman had every opportunity and motive to throw his helmet at the coach and walk off the field..........he stayed in, held his composure the best he could and trudged along until he was finally pulled.

Honestly, it wasnt all on Peterman...........playcalling, tipped passes, a weak Oline and missed assignments are to blame as contributors, as well as a coaching staff that didnt recognize that Peterman may not have been ready.

People may call it a backfire............i call it par for the course with this franchise.

No surprise here.

In other words, the same situation TT faced week after week.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

That is too much copy and paste. A smaller blurb and a link back to the article is preferable. That isn't ours to publish. 

Thank you so much for that!!! My eyes were hurting.... ya know- if you had another moderator to look after things like this, you could just sit back and relax.... keep up the good work...

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SDS said:

That is too much copy and paste. A smaller blurb and a link back to the article is preferable. That isn't ours to publish. 

The link is right there. I usually post smaller bits, but this is only a part of the entire piece from today, anyway.

Edited by JM2009

3 hours ago, Sweats said:

No surprise here.

He really didn't stay in and hold his composure. He never saw the field after the 5th interception and winging it up for grabs, down the middle of the field, because you're getting rushed is not holding your composure.....it's quite the opposite.