2018 Offseason Will Define This Regime

corta765

While it has been a frustrating few weeks the truth is this season was always about laying the path and framework for what McBeane see as their vision. I was in the camp that was hoping they made the playoffs even if they got smoked to kill the drought, but I understand others who say we were better off at 4-12 so you had your pick of the litter at QB in this draft. Regardless it comes down to 2018 being the off season they have to get it right and I look at it like this:

They will carry some decent to very good assets into the off season in these players:

Benjamin, Z. Jones, Dawkins, White, Hughes, Poyer, Hyde, Incognito, McCoy, & Wood if they still want him.

What they fundamentally have to nail to set the future is this IMO:

QB, DT, LB (both ILB/OLB)

They still need help/depth at:

G, OT, CB, WR, DE

Quarterback is pretty easy to state as being crucial for their future in terms of sink or swimming, but to me the defense as a whole is almost equal in need. The defense biggest failing this season has been the ability of teams to attack the middle of the defense on runs/passes and we haven't even played NE who thrives there. We have no young talent at either DT/LB currently and they need to hit this hard in the draft and free agency to shore this up. Back in the "good days" 2013/14 defense the front four was supremely talented and the LB core had the likes of Bradham & Kiko with P.Brown being the 3rd guy which is where he should be. Just about every strength we remember from those years is gone or in Kyle Williams case regressing due to age. McD needs his D next year to be a greater strength to the roster especially with most likely a rookie QB driving the ship. McCoy can be relied on to help take some pressure off whatever kid is there but he will need a spell back regardless in case he sees any regression.

People can talk that the 19/20 offseason's will allow more time to build whatever McD/Beane want but realistically by then the team better be winning and in the playoffs. Those offseason's should be adding final touches to this not base pieces. Obviously yes if a DT the caliber of Donald was there in 2019 go for it, but the 2017-18 drafts/FA additions you need to be seeing some real fruits from because it also takes time for guys to develop. Between the 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and the amount of cap space the Bills are pooling for 2018 McBeane have a lot of resources to really craft what they want. The true foundation of the roster will effectively be set from that and whats taken from this season. In ways it will be super exciting as fans and in others very nervous because a lot hinges off what happens.

It's 5 picks in the first 3 rounds not 6 anymore.   We shipped a 3rd rounder off to Carolina for Benjamin.    Wish we had a ton more.

If Pegula wants to really help this team, he should be throwing big money at the scouting department, independent services--heck I don't care if it's the college equipment manager who has a sleeper pick--we need a mountain of solid intel on a wide range of positions and then we need the right draft strategy.   There are no unimportant drafts for any team ever, but this certainly could ease the pain if we pull some quality talent in here locked up for at least 4 years at a reasonable salary.

I agree with the OP that defense and offense are probably equally in need of personnel help.   One other thing I'd mention is if Tyrod goes, McD has to seriously consider sending Dennison down the road with him.   We need to do what Andy Reid did with Alex Smith--run the stupid offense your qb did in college, the one he's most comfortable with and the one that made him the best player he can be.   Tyrod is 7 years in this league and he can't even change a play at the line in this system, which also offers very few long balls that is a strength of his.

Too many holes and not enough picks.

Weve got nothing to trade away anymore for more picks, so whatever we dont address in the draft, we'll have to overpay in free agency.

You think we've all witnessed a circus and a disastrous shamble so far this year?...........wait until next season when we cant plug and play with players we havent got, nor FA that just witnessed a total collapse of a franchise the past 3 weeks. How badly do you think players around the rest of the league want to come to this fiasco?

Stick around, son, we're just getting started............you aint seen nothing yet.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Weve got nothing to trade away anymore for more picks, so whatever we dont address in the draft, we'll have to overpay in free agency.

We actually can trade TT in the off season. Other then that trade Glenn too...

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

While it has been a frustrating few weeks the truth is this season was always about laying the path and framework for what McBeane see as their vision. I was in the camp that was hoping they made the playoffs even if they got smoked to kill the drought, but I understand others who say we were better off at 4-12 so you had your pick of the litter at QB in this draft. Regardless it comes down to 2018 being the off season they have to get it right and I look at it like this:

They will carry some decent to very good assets into the off season in these players:

Benjamin, Z. Jones, Dawkins, White, Hughes, Poyer, Hyde, Incognito, McCoy, & Wood if they still want him.

What they fundamentally have to nail to set the future is this IMO:

QB, DT, LB (both ILB/OLB)

They still need help/depth at:

G, OT, CB, WR, DE

Quarterback is pretty easy to state as being crucial for their future in terms of sink or swimming, but to me the defense as a whole is almost equal in need. The defense biggest failing this season has been the ability of teams to attack the middle of the defense on runs/passes and we haven't even played NE who thrives there. We have no young talent at either DT/LB currently and they need to hit this hard in the draft and free agency to shore this up. Back in the "good days" 2013/14 defense the front four was supremely talented and the LB core had the likes of Bradham & Kiko with P.Brown being the 3rd guy which is where he should be. Just about every strength we remember from those years is gone or in Kyle Williams case regressing due to age. McD needs his D next year to be a greater strength to the roster especially with most likely a rookie QB driving the ship. McCoy can be relied on to help take some pressure off whatever kid is there but he will need a spell back regardless in case he sees any regression.

People can talk that the 19/20 offseason's will allow more time to build whatever McD/Beane want but realistically by then the team better be winning and in the playoffs. Those offseason's should be adding final touches to this not base pieces. Obviously yes if a DT the caliber of Donald was there in 2019 go for it, but the 2017-18 drafts/FA additions you need to be seeing some real fruits from because it also takes time for guys to develop. Between the 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and the amount of cap space the Bills are pooling for 2018 McBeane have a lot of resources to really craft what they want. The true foundation of the roster will effectively be set from that and whats taken from this season. In ways it will be super exciting as fans and in others very nervous because a lot hinges off what happens.

Good post, yes, 2018 draft had better come through out it will get Buffalo ugly, this board is mellow compared to what will be faced if they blow the draft!

17 minutes ago, Sweats said:

You think we've all witnessed a circus and a disastrous shamble so far this year?...........wait until next season when we cant plug and play with players we havent got, nor FA that just witnessed a total collapse of a franchise the past 3 weeks. How badly do you think players around the rest of the league want to come to this fiasco?

Stick around, son, we're just getting started............you aint seen nothing yet.

And they should have done what? Continue as is - business as usual over the last 17 years!

37 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

If Pegula wants to really help this team, he should be throwing big money at the scouting department, independent services--heck I don't care if it's the college equipment manager who has a sleeper pick--we need a mountain of solid intel on a wide range of positions and then we need the right draft strategy.   There are no unimportant drafts for any team ever, but this certainly could ease the pain if we pull some quality talent in here locked up for at least 4 years at a reasonable salary.

There is no unimportant drafts/offseasons but realistically this is the one with the heavy lifting coming because if the team doesn't improve or shown signs of tangible growth with a rookie QB the clock on the GM/Coach starts ticking come year 3. And with the way our fans are media have been if its 3 pretty down years I doubt you see a 4th given.

....Pegula gave Beane carte blanche in assembling his staff....it is loaded with former VP's of Pro Player Personnel as well as ex Directors of Personnel........sure the draft is not an exact science nor will it EVER be.....but this gang needs to produce in 2018 having some of the best draft capital in years to work with IMO....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Good post, yes, 2018 draft had better come through out it will get Buffalo ugly, this board is mellow compared to what will be faced if they blow the draft!

And they should have done what? Continue as is - business as usual over the last 17 years!

They could have held onto some core players (Darby, Gilmour, Dareus) and try to build around them.

Who are we building around now?.............Shady, Kyle Williams, Glenn, Incognito.

What has this FO left us with?

We have no one left with any trade value and no talent.

I understand re-hauling the whole roster, but they've left themselves with nothing and nothing left to bargain with.