THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Ramblings of a Madman

Shaw66

You just have to hope Beane and McD know what they're doing.  Problem is that the Peterman fiasco sure makes it look like they don't. 

Just now, Helpmenow said:

I am assuming you have been a fan for along time like me, I don’t think anything will change for the better

Since 1960. 

After the Jets and Saints games if anyone believed that Tyrod was the long term solution they were wrong.   All anyone has to do is "Make him play quarterback".   I'm tired of .500 seasons and that's what we had to look forward to with Tyrod.    Is Peterman the answer?   Obviously not at this time.

BUT.....   I will give McDermott a ton of credit for taking the shot.    Name the last coach the Bills have had that would admit they weren't good enough and made a change???

Edited by f0neguy

Interesting corollary in a little story I want to share with you. When I played hockey (I was too small to play football), I was the walk-on, 3rd team goaltender, and never suited up for games. The starter, and some of our "stars" was often late to practice, didn't take practice seriously, and he didn't take heed to coach's warnings. We had a huge game coming up and everything seemed status quo. In the locker room before the game coach came in and said he was going to start me. You could hear a pin drop in the room. I started, and played the 1st period. I let in a soft goal in the final minute of the period. At the start of the 2nd period, the "stars" were back in their respective positions. They played well, and never took practices lightly again. The following year, we went to the Frozen Four. Coach built a helluva team with that statement.

It has been written that coach Dennison instructed Tyrod to "open it up" the previous game (or two). He clearly didn't. He didn't target Benjamin often enough, and he didn't throw downfield. as instructed. For whatever reason, he defied coach's directions. He got "sat down." The results are now in the books, but the message is clear.

When I played that 1st period, I definitely didn't give the team the best chance to win. But when the starter came in, he was a changed man. Neither did Nate Peterman give the team the best chance to win. But, did you see Tyrod checking down and looking indecisive when he came in for the 2nd half? No. He pushed the ball downfield and looked good doing it. In short, there is no chance the message wasn't received loud and clear by the team. We'll see whether that equates to performance improvements in the coming weeks.

Based on my personal experiences, I appreciate the coaching style. I have a lot of respect for this style of coaching. It worked on my team, and it may start something here. It also explains a lot of the moves this team has made in 2017. I ask that you look at this in this context and give it a chance. This technique actually works with talented athletes.

I agree with Shaw. I have a lot of belief in this GM and HC.

• Like (+1) 1

Mcdipshit & Beane could say what they want but they middle rebuilding this year.  They should of shipped Taylor & McCoy out shortly after they dealt Watkins.  Now by some miracle this team won five games & we are in no man's land again with drafting a top QB.  As the late great Denny Green said "the Bills are who we thought they were."  This team is one of if not the least talented team in football.   Unfortunately we will not have a top 5 pick that usually goes along with that because somehow this team played way over their heads for the first half of the season.  The rest of this year is going to be ugly, horrible football.  I doubt they win another game.  Mcdipshit & Beane will get another year or two to get this fixed.  I doubt they have the capability to get the job.  Both idiots are in way over their heads imho. 

16 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Interesting corollary in a little story I want to share with you. When I played hockey (I was too small to play football), I was the walk-on, 3rd team goaltender, and never suited up for games. The starter, and some of our "stars" was often late to practice, didn't take practice seriously, and he didn't take heed to coach's warnings. We had a huge game coming up and everything seemed status quo. In the locker room before the game coach came in and said he was going to start me. You could hear a pin drop in the room. I started, and played the 1st period. I let in a soft goal in the final minute of the period. At the start of the 2nd period, the "stars" were back in their respective positions. They played well, and never took practices lightly again. The following year, we went to the Frozen Four. Coach built a helluva team with that statement.

It has been written that coach Dennison instructed Tyrod to "open it up" the previous game (or two). He clearly didn't. He didn't target Benjamin often enough, and he didn't throw downfield. as instructed. For whatever reason, he defied coach's directions. He got "sat down." The results are now in the books, but the message is clear.

When I played that 1st period, I definitely didn't give the team the best chance to win. But when the starter came in, he was a changed man. Neither did Nate Peterman give the team the best chance to win. But, did you see Tyrod checking down and looking indecisive when he came in for the 2nd half? No. He pushed the ball downfield and looked good doing it. In short, there is no chance the message wasn't received loud and clear by the team. We'll see whether that equates to performance improvements in the coming weeks.

Based on my personal experiences, I appreciate the coaching style. I have a lot of respect for this style of coaching. It worked on my team, and it may start something here. It also explains a lot of the moves this team has made in 2017. I ask that you look at this in this context and give it a chance. This technique actually works with talented athletes.

Great story.  Thanks. 

You're more of am optimist than I if you think Dennison and Taylor will open up.  Taylor maybe, but he'll be wearing a different uniform. 

10 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

It's ok you can have faith. Why not?

The defense is as you say. Maybe teams figured it out and now it is child's play.

As for the offense, I think they didn't know they could not pass block. In practice they only have to block our defense. And in games Tyrod is able to stay on his feet pretty much no matter what happens. I don't think they knew how bad they are. I know I didn't.

I remember you made a post about how far back Tyrod drops. And he can't get the ball out fast because of how far back he drops. 

Well, now I know why Tyrod drops back so far.

The snark remarks teams have made is they make Tyrod Taylor be a quarterback.

Now we see what happens when they make our Offensive line, be an offensive line. There is no pocket.

This one was not fun. It seems we need defensive backs, linebackers, defensive linemen, offensive linemen, running backs, wide receivers and a quarterback. We are good at kicker though.

This is an excellent post, good observations, it looked like to me like Peterman was dropping back far enough/or the line was getting pushed into him.

Tyrod Taylor was benched because of poor play and McD took the opportunity to evaluate Peterman. The team needed a spark not a meltdown, but it is what it is and the outcome however ugly as it may have been told the Bills what we they to know IMO.

The Buffalo Bills need a QB...

...before we all end up in the funny farm...

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

I will call you crazy for liking McDermott haha.

I usually agree with all your reviews, but I cant say I agree with you on your opinions on Mcd. I have no faith in him at all

Why, because McD had a team thats low on talent over achieving?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, clayboy54 said:

Great story and you COULD be correct that Tyrod "defied" the copach and he came in and played differently, more aggressive.  Or it could be as in the first New England game last year, by the second half we were down so much Tyrod opened it up and becomas e a more effective risk taking QB.  Like yesterday we were so far behind there was not way Tyrod could be blamed for the ills losing the game.  I just think it is not in TT's DNA to take big chances.

9 minutes ago, Figster said:

Tyrod Taylor was benched because of poor play and McD took the opportunity to evaluate Peterman. The team needed a spark not a meltdown, but it is what it is and the outcome however ugly as it may have been told the Bills what we they to know IMO.

Someone had to do it.

5 minutes ago, Figster said:
1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

You are saying the low talent has nothing to do with Mcd bringing those players in/trading them away?

Players like Marcell Dareus are a cancer to a locker room. Something you can't have from the highest paid player on the team.

McD has the balls to make tough decisions looking into the future long term and I commend him for it.

Like OP, I still Billieve...

8 minutes ago, Figster said:

Players like Marcell Dareus are a cancer to a locker room. Something you can't have from the highest paid player on the team.

McD has the balls to make tough decisions looking into the future long term and I commend him for it.

Dareus, Darby, Watkins, letting Woods walk, re signing Lorax, hiring Rico/Frazier.

He's also supposed to be a defensive coach and as of right now they have the worst defence in the league with possibly the worst offence.

Besides that and completely getting his ass handed to him in regards to preparation and decision making, him and Beane have truly done a fantastic job...

Edited by billsfan11

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Are players like Dareus really a cancer in the locker room? Seems to me that there may be something to losing the locker room when Dareus was traded, and possibly this miscalculation by the FO and coaching staff may have a part in this team nose diving.  By some accounts Dareus was well liked by his peers, and maybe just maybe the FO and coaching staff have been in scramble mode (trading for Benjamin, benching Tyrod despite awful OL play in front of him).

To me, teams just don't go south like that unless there is something more going on beneath the surface.  Maybe it was that trading Dareus fractured the locker room when people started speaking more freely about how they felt about him when he was gone, or how some players viewed the Front Office and coaching staff.  It could have simply been a breaking point where many issues that were bubbling came to a head followed by a bad outing and then the bottom falls out. 

I don't agree with coaching that puts scheme above all else, because you are always going to have to adjust not only to your talent, but also to how teams attack your schemes.  Inflexibility in scheme is problematic for both of those reasons, because its an easy cop out to point to talent when things don't work, when in fact the scheme is flawed as well.  And to be honest any scheme that doesn't work as well as another with the players you have is flawed.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Dareus, Darby, Watkins, letting Woods walk, re signing Lorax, hiring Rico/Frazier.

He's also supposed to be a defensive coach and as of right now they have the worst defence in the league with possibly the worst offence.

Besides that and completely getting his ass handed to him in regards to preparation and decision making, him and Beane have truly done a fantastic job...

What kills me is watching teams do 180* back flip in one or 2 seasons under a proper coaching staff --> See the RAMS, Eagles and Jags

I will give McD next year. I'm not too sure on Beane at the moment but will wait for next years draft and FA window.

Edited by Real McCoy

11 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

What kills me is watching teams do 180* back flip in one or 2 seasons under a proper coaching staff --> See the RAMS, Eagles and Jags

I will give McD next year. I'm not too sure on Beane at the moment but will wait for next years draft and FA window.

Exactly. It really is frustrating to see.

I didn't expect the Bills to make the playoffs this year, but I just wanted to see improvements and actually look like they are building something.

Instead they have regressed in basically every facet of the game. I thought it was impossible to accomplish that considering Rex Ryan was the coach last year...

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Good coaching is a lot like good players, they usually show you something good right away and are usually pretty consistent.  Not always, but a good deal of the time this is the case.  Coaching matters a lot in the NFL, especially in the middle of the season when the better coached teams start to make a noticeable leap when they have a good assessment of what their team does well and what deficiencies need to be masked/addressed. 

Frankly, I don't see that with this coaching staff and it really bothers me that the staff and FO put such an emphasis on guys of a certain ethos and character and this is how they are responding to adversity.  To me, there is a difference between guys happy to be on a roster that are looking for an opportunity versus talented guys that are also high character guys.  Ideally you'd like both, but you don't jettison talent just because you don't think that they'll buy in, maybe you need to prove something to have them buy in, especially after being sold a lemon with Rex.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Are players like Dareus really a cancer in the locker room? Seems to me that there may be something to losing the locker room when Dareus was traded, and possibly this miscalculation by the FO and coaching staff may have a part in this team nose diving.  By some accounts Dareus was well liked by his peers, and maybe just maybe the FO and coaching staff have been in scramble mode (trading for Benjamin, benching Tyrod despite awful OL play in front of him).

To me, teams just don't go south like that unless there is something more going on beneath the surface.  Maybe it was that trading Dareus fractured the locker room when people started speaking more freely about how they felt about him when he was gone, or how some players viewed the Front Office and coaching staff.  It could have simply been a breaking point where many issues that were bubbling came to a head followed by a bad outing and then the bottom falls out. 

I don't agree with coaching that puts scheme above all else, because you are always going to have to adjust not only to your talent, but also to how teams attack your schemes.  Inflexibility in scheme is problematic for both of those reasons, because its an easy cop out to point to talent when things don't work, when in fact the scheme is flawed as well.  And to be honest any scheme that doesn't work as well as another with the players you have is flawed.

The success early on suggests to me when the team executes plays properly scheme is not the problem IMO.

Missing tackles, missing blocks and dropping passes is a problem.

What will be remembered about N Petermans 1st start will be the 5 INT's. 

What will be forgotten is how poorly the supporting cast played around him in my humble opinion.

Every man on the Bills roster needs to take a real long look at themselves in the mirror

and fix the problem...